24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

another one bites the dust!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another one bites the dust!!

sign me up for the famous "my vp44 died club". Are there any door prizes other than an empty wallet?? dead lift pump + 100 degree day = vp takes a dirt nap at 90,000 miles. I'm really kicking myself in the butt right now for not hooking up the wires to my fuel pressure light. My truck just had to kick me while I was already down. I thought I'd get lucky and be able to just replace the lift pump and be ok(that was some wishful thanking my life ain't ever that easy) so I ran to NAPA and got a new one to the tune of $220. Towed the the truck to my buddys house thankfully i was only a half mile away when it died, put the pump on and tried for over an hour to get it started gave up got some pizza and beer and then tried a while longer and it was no go.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 AM

First make sure the lift pump has fuel and pressure to the IP. Bump the starter but don't start. 2-3 times is usually enough. I open 3 injector lines and do it again . You should see some seeping by now. Just crank it over again and it should start. Snug the lines up and it will knock and pound a bit but smooth out in a few minutes.

Be carefull cranking in a no start situation or you will be replacing the starter too. 10-15 sec and let it cool a bit.

oopps I thought you had already replaced the IP. It's dead. Go to the ATM and transfer a grand+ a little from your retirement fund and order a VP-44 from one of the good places. Then do the above. haha uuhhh sorry

Old 07-31-2007, 03:02 PM

Vp44

What is causing these pumps to fail? Could you put a diff pump on if you changed the ECM? I read something that the prob pump & ECM is a Dodge thing is this true
Old 07-31-2007, 09:46 PM

The VP's are droppin like bugs around here! Mine has bit it too! Im not sure if you can run a HO pump on a SO truck. Hopefully Bosch did some updates to finally make this pump a lot better. It never fails that something has to happen just when a guy is down on his luck to begin with. Now shell out over a grand plus the core charge to get ya goin. Its enough to get me thinkin to give up on cummins cause you dont know for sure your new pump will even get many miles on it and dump again.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 PM

That's my thoughts in a nut shell. You go and spend all this money on a repair and you start wondering and worrying every time the truck makes a slight stumble. If you could spend the cash and have it fixed once and for all then it might be something you could take. I don't know why and how Dodge or Cummins could let the customer who has spent $30,000 - $ 60,000 on one of these trucks worry about the problems that they have had in the fuel systems. I think that they should have recalled ALL the troubled years or if nothing else when the truck does die fix the problem for us. There should be a life time warranty on them, they know they screwed up. Its a wonderful thing knowing that you have one of the best engines out there and if only you could trust it to go down the road. They really let us loyal owners down. I know the next truck I get will not be a Dodge for sure. I'm sorry for saying that but at work we run Power Jokes and no joking they haven't caused us very much trouble. They are very well maintained but as far as driving them its hammer down. I would buy one in a minute. NO JOKE!!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "package" was not a "Dodge thing", but what Cummins had to offer in it's light to medium duty package. Dodge bought the package just as Ford did (450/550) and a mirad of RV chassis companies. They ALL had problems.....some before we did with our pickups. There is no doubt that if the Boschturd pump would have held up like the mechanical pump it preceded, it would have made most of us as happy as could be. So what IF Dodge knew of the problem with the VP.....would they dare pull the plug on the all-mighty Cummins.......yeah, I didn't think so.

.....and the first week it hit 110+ I did six VP's in one week. My personal truck kicked one out at 82K three years ago. I have 107 on it now and will most likely own the truck long enough to do another.

.....and for the record after four model years of the common rail trucks I definately feel the current VP owners truely have the WORST fuel system on any of the Cummins equipped Dodge's so far. When it works it's great (duh), but we all drive around thinking about when that $1000 dollar failure is going to occur.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM

I called the diesel shop in town an had them red label one in for first thing in the morning. I was talking to the owner and he said that he can't even keep any in stock because he sells so many of them. I went ahead and pulled the old pump off tonight so that i can take it in with me when i pick up the new pump so i don't have to pay the core charge on it. Hopefully by tomorrow night my truck will be up and running again. I like Dodges but i hate having problems. At my buddys house they have 2 gas trucks with tranny problems and his diesel that got a new VP a couple weeks ago and mine
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 AM

Vp44

Are they rebuilding the old pumps they get?
what is failing in the pump dose any body know?
I haven't had anything to do with this type of cummins yet & I don't have my 2002 24V engine but I take it the VP 44 feeds high pressure fuel to the rail is this correct?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Angry VP44 Time to get some attention?

My 2 C’s
How about a counter approach?
Rather than you and I /us all trying to ignore our plight, we can act as one ****** off body, consider combining and pointing our anger towards the ear’s that will listen.
If we remain silent and keep buying their stuff/crap we get what we deserve, you /we all know this.
Together, (strength in numbers) we can achieve a common desired result, or at least a measure of that result
I’m suggesting we start a media campaign to push hard on Dodge /Cummins to (stage 1) acknowledge that the pump failures are their fault, (stage 2) and to that end, be replaced, at their cost, no questions!!

Now this would take a concentrated effort laid on all those who have had to endure that sick, sinking feeling in your gut that says “guess what, after you shelled out a huge chunk of your hard earned cashola, your hosed” again!
Many ways to apply pressure,
(1) Start sending them our busted VP’s and failed fuel pumps with detailed stories about what a pain in OUR butts this is to us “spending consumers” not to mention the wasted time & energies we’re expending, all on OUR busted knuckles
(2) Talk and ***** to anyone who will listen, Newspaper ads taken out, bring attention to many, Service depts. Auto part wholesale and retail anyone! This forum, and many like it are very handy!
(3) And as if our sacrifices already weren’t enough!! Perhaps the best way is to simply stop buying, tell the dealers to their faces, drop in, look real interested, and then when pressed, dismiss them with what ever verbal disgust you choose, just send the message,
(4) I’m willing to help out anyway I can, one or 2 hours a night, week, month, calling sending letters etc, If everyone contributed “something” i.e. legal, sales, shipping, media, bookkeepers, the BBB, Your States Attorneys Gen, City Mayors, City council people, Senators, whomever can and will demonstrate that they are willing to help, we can create a strong base from which to apply pressure.
Weather I’m {wasting time} replacing my VP or {wasting time} trying to get their attention and getting some solid resolution!! I’m still going to be {wasting time} so..
We all love/like/depend on our toys/trucks, I for one am willing to put a few sandburs in their saddle!
If anyone has a better idea, I’ll wanna play, or if mine strikes home, Who wants to lead? Do we have a leader?
Thanks
And best of luck to those whose pumps are still (hopefully ) working.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 PM

I think Pappy is right. All we do is gripe and moan cause the piece of junk vp is out and so we gatefully shell out the big bucks to replace it cause we bought the trucks to use and not sit in the driveway to look at. If I want a lawn ornament I'd go to Walmart!! I have owned many , many diesels of some sort from pickups to trucks to farm equipment to construction equipment and I have NEVER replaced an injection pump on any of them except my dodge cummins 24V!! I know it sounds strange but I have not until now. Anyone that rebuilds them has got us because so few can rebuild them because of the expensive testing machine. Geez just to drive them down the road you have to have a performance fuel pump and line system to keep pressure up and a fuel gauge. Then a spare IP under the seat. I dont trust mine at all. I dont drive it over 75 miles from home. I always take my Chevy gasser. It might eat gas but I always get there and back and never lets me down. Im not going back to dodge cummins either.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by my02CTD
I think Pappy is right. All we do is gripe and moan cause the piece of junk vp is out and so we gatefully shell out the big bucks to replace it cause we bought the trucks to use and not sit in the driveway to look at. If I want a lawn ornament I'd go to Walmart!! I have owned many , many diesels of some sort from pickups to trucks to farm equipment to construction equipment and I have NEVER replaced an injection pump on any of them except my dodge cummins 24V!! I know it sounds strange but I have not until now. Anyone that rebuilds them has got us because so few can rebuild them because of the expensive testing machine. Geez just to drive them down the road you have to have a performance fuel pump and line system to keep pressure up and a fuel gauge. Then a spare IP under the seat. I dont trust mine at all. I dont drive it over 75 miles from home. I always take my Chevy gasser. It might eat gas but I always get there and back and never lets me down. Im not going back to dodge cummins either.
Thanks my02ctd
That's 1
Old 08-01-2007, 09:59 PM

Well I been going round and round with DC since Dec. of last year about my VP44 failure. If you guys haven't noticed, on page 12 of your warranty book the Cummins engine warranty did not start until the END of the 3 yr basic warranty or 36000 miles. Of course DC disputes this saying the 5 yr. 100,000 started when I bought the truck. Not what the book says. Have sent all my info to a local TV station. They called me today and said they was interested in my case and would be calling me back next week. Will keep you all informed of my progress.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM

6speed cowboy your vp should be covered undrer warranty go to your dealer and see what thedealy
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Woo hoo

Originally Posted by Carolinablue
Well I been going round and round with DC since Dec. of last year about my VP44 failure. If you guys haven't noticed, on page 12 of your warranty book the Cummins engine warranty did not start until the END of the 3 yr basic warranty or 36000 miles. Of course DC disputes this saying the 5 yr. 100,000 started when I bought the truck. Not what the book says. Have sent all my info to a local TV station. They called me today and said they was interested in my case and would be calling me back next week. Will keep you all informed of my progress.
Maybe a victory in the making! Best to you on that give em he~~
Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Carolinablue
I read that too and called DC to talk to them about it. The gal I talked to claimed it was a "miss print" I told her that miss print or not its in the book and that I'm pretty sure that DC would be sure that before they printed the books that there weren't any errors in it.

Anyways $1600, alot of sweat, a little blood and a fridge of beer later my truck runs again. I got the new pump back in it tonight that was a piece of cake it took me under 2 hours to get everything buttoned back up and get it running. I took it for a drive and its running alot stronger than before and getting better mileage too.

Quick Reply: another one bites the dust!!