24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is all this possible, or am I dreaming.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is all this possible, or am I dreaming.....

240,000 Number 1 cylinder seizes, do an inframe.

241,000 Number 1 cylinder seizes again, turns out to be thermostat seperated. Install new long block.

246,000 Head gasket blows on new engine, replace.

253,000 New engine block cracks, ala #53 block.

Down again... tired of putting it back together

Or will I wake up and its all a bad dream?
Old 03-13-2004, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it were me, id try for a new truck
Old 03-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Banned

Wow Bill
thats bad.......will cummins do anything about that ? I know it bizzare circumtances but its worth a shot?
and if not..............interist rates are low..................................maybe it is time to retire the ol girl for your own sake and bloody knockles??
Old 03-14-2004, 12:09 AM

I should be getting a new motor out of it or so the conversation went. And the new truck was an option before, but I am pretty drained financially now. Even so I would still have to get this one put back. There are no casting numbers on it, so we are going to run the ser# to see what it is next week.

To add to all that, IFTA hit me with a $5650 assessment for being late with a return. When it rains it pours I guess. I guess they think I am some big corporate trucking company. I'll get a lawyer on that one. Don't owe them any tax, just the assessment.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:12 AM

man if it werent for bad luck youd have none at aal. sorry to here about that. hope things get better i had some luck like that with nv 4500s buy the way test drove new 600 with a 6 spd awsome truck

jed
Old 03-14-2004, 03:25 AM
Banned

**** man. I hope everything gets better. I know how it feels to have everything bad happen at once. Hopefully cummins will settle this the right way and you'll be back on the road doing what you love. Good luck man.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:00 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Bill, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. Keep us posted on how this turns out.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Did a black cat walk in front of you when you dropped the mirror under the ladder? I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble this truck has been giving you, were the first 240k relatively trouble free? Hopefully the next motor will be a good one and you'll get another quarter million with no problems, you deserve it now.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Banned

Wow Haulin...I don't know what to say...quite the string of bad luck. Hope Cummins comes through for you with a new block. Otherwise we might see a
F550 in your sig....
Old 03-14-2004, 12:31 PM
DPG

Oh Wow! I thought when you got the new block installed, you were all set. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

DeWain
Old 03-14-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
Did a black cat walk in front of you when you dropped the mirror under the ladder? I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble this truck has been giving you, were the first 240k relatively trouble free? Hopefully the next motor will be a good one and you'll get another quarter million with no problems, you deserve it now.
For 240,000 it was the ideal truck. Oil changes and thats it. I had the clutch go out and later a pilot bearing, all else was either mods or general maintenance. Worst part of this is that except for a bad thermostat from Cummins, I would be still running strong with the original engine.

Anyone who has gotten into a set of circumstances like this knows, the truck must be running good to trade or sell, so it has to be fixed. Then when fixed, it is a truck with a new motor ready for many miles. No benefit in going to a new truck at this point. If I did it would not be a F550 but would be either a FL60 or an F650 with air brakes and tractor package. Cheaper to buy a loaded big truck and single axle it.

I am changing my stratigy though, I will be going to lighter legal running at less than 26,000. Dump the IFTA and apportioned tags. I go around the scales now so what is the difference in going around them when I have a little more weight. Tired of playing big trucking company and its paperwork. I make more money staying in Alabama and Georgia and on occasion to Tennessee. I can get around all scales in these areas.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:10 PM

Well, for what it's worth, I would take any chance I could to make sure the government didn't get any more of my money than they already do. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Sorry to hear about that string of luck, though. That is enough to drive the pope to drink!
Old 03-15-2004, 01:49 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No ***(Edited by Admin)*** Im sorry to hear that string of bad luck, hopefully you get it hammered out. Cummins ussually does stand behind thier remans no questions asked.

Good luck keep us posted

If it helps any you're not alone, my Ford cummins conversion finally died yesterday 300k. had an electrical in cab fire last week, injector pump started to miss at high RPM 2000+, T-case lower seal went out on a road trip yesterday dumped oil and seized up at 75 mph middle of I80 ... twisted driveline and tranny output . Seized up hard enough to kill the motor . cooled it off enough to break it free and get it off to the side of the road, nursed it into town called a friend to go get my gooseneck.

I think the truck was telling me something Called Dodge dealer this morning gonna have to get a real truck.

D
Old 03-15-2004, 02:50 PM

Haulin-in-Dixie,

Here is an idea. Since to sell your present truck(if that is what you might do) it has to be running....you have two engines with which to make one good one. The engine has to be pulled no matter what. Why not start on the rebuild. You should have enough parts so that you don't have to buy anything except gaskets and a possible rebore of one or two cylinders on the original block. Once it is running, then you can do the final decision of keep or sell.

Of course, if Cummins is going to stand good on your second engine, forget the first paragraph!.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Banned

There is also a bare block on ebay right now for 200 bucks.

Quick Reply: Is all this possible, or am I dreaming.....