24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

4x4 problem?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 problem?!?!

Have a 4x4 1ton. I was backing up my trailer (42' triple axle enclosed trailer) in 4x4 (very wet ground, little muddy). I heard a pretty loud pop that sounded as if it came from the front left axle area. I kept going and took it out of 4x4 hi and moved the trailer to where I wanted. I didn't see anything externally that appeared to be wrong. I drove the truck (no trailer) about 60 miles today and drove like it usually does...no problems. I put it in 4x4 and it didn't make any noises or anything...then again I don't know if the 4x4 was working since it was only on gravel. Any thoughts or ideas what that was and if anything happened to the 4x4 system? I'm pretty much clueless what it could be.
thanks!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:44 PM

Well if you drove it on pavement, you would be able to tell if it was engaging or not while you turn. There is a big difference in the steering. Does your 4x4 light come on?

You said that "it didnt make any noises at all or anything"

Do you mean that you dont hear the transfer case engaging? Does your 4x4 stick shift slide in and out very easily, like nothing is engaging at all? Please explain in greater detail so we can help you.

Hunter
Old 02-14-2004, 02:55 PM

I didn't turn the steering wheel while I was checking to see if anything is wrong. I'll do this within the next hour or so.

The 4x4 light does come on. And when I shift into 4x4, it engages as if nothing was wrong (like it has done in the past). I feel the notching when going from 2wd to 4wd, like it has done in the past.

When I said I didn't hear any noises, I was implying I didn't hear any bad sounds...popping, or grinding, or chunking...anything like that.

Guess I could always hook a recovery strap to a big oak tree, put it in 4wd, give it some juice. Get out and see which tires dug and which didn't.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:30 PM

Did that sound come, or feel, like it came from underneath the truck? Or did it come/feel like it might have come from up a little higher- such as a shock? I've had a bad shock before and it made a popping noise when I hit the right type of bump. If it does feel like it might be up a little higher, check your shocks, one might be bad or loose. Keep us posted.

Hunter
Old 02-14-2004, 09:06 PM

Not sure...but I'm pretty sure it came from under the truck.

I put it in 4wd and turned right a little while ago. It did the jerking action it usually does when you have it in 4wd and try to turn the steering wheel all the way to one side.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Not sure what you mean by heard a pop. Big pop, little pop, crack, thud, ect. It so hard to say unless the noise was heard first hand but from what you said I'd say you totally bound up the drive drain and heard something release the pressure. Turning tight on hard ground (wet or dry) while going slow in 4wd will cause major binding and crabbing. Especially while towing. Very hard on drive train components and tires. Sorry, forgot to check your truck year before responding but if you have the front axle vacumm disconnect then investing in the 2 Lo kit is worth every penny.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:10 AM

does your 02 have the vac. disconnect on the axle or not ??? i don't think it does ...but if it does, that was the culprit .... if you dont then check your outer u -joint ,i busted one i reverse before ( kinda freak deal too) ... loud pop , but i didn;t notice it for a while because 4x4 still worked !!!! , the yokes were against each other ... so the wheel would still spin , and i didn't notice till i was a bad spot with the wheels turned then i heard a odd sound ...bingo!! problem found
Old 02-15-2004, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the info guys!!! I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the vacuum disconnect, but I'll double check anyway. The pop sounded like a firecracker went off under the truck. Note: when I was backing up with the trailer when the happened, the front wheels were straight (not turned in either direction). Also, I'm not sure if this means anything, but I do have some Mud Terrain tires...Kumho Venture MT...they keep digging and digging...they rarely spin....the truck usually starts stalling first.

travjrath, I'll check the outer U-Joint. Thanks...didn't think about looking there.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:40 PM

hey j, good sig man ....do you mean addiction ??? just thought i'd let you know
Old 02-15-2004, 01:04 PM

Doohhh... Thanks...I need to proof read more often...