24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

24valve pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24valve pros and cons?

hey i'm looking to find out what the pros and cons are of the 24valve, i'm not interested in the dodge truck but mainly the motor, as it will be going into an 05 superduty
Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Biggest con I'd say would be the VP44 and there are too many pros for me to list them all of course this is just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 PM

i've heard that the vp44 can be an issue what can be done to fix this?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Pretty much praying. that is about all that can truly be done to FIX a vp series pump.

A good lift pump helps a bunch, so does a lot of luck, and maybe some lubricity additives.

On the pros side, its not a powerstroke.

cons, vp44, bad lift pumps, early series blocks could be bad. APPS is a weak link, vacuum pump seals tend to go out, later engines had that stupid puke bottle on the front cover for the draft tube.

Otherwise, easy to work on, possibly easier than a 12 valve engine. Easy to upgrade and maintain. Lots of low end power.

I am thinking of doing a swap like this on my work truck in the near future. Probably a 12 valve engine though, for ease of connection. That, and my 01 has had 10 lift pumps and 5 VP's in 200,000 km.

that said, there are many ISB engines out there, that run a full service life with no problems at all.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 PM

is there noafter market replacement for the vp44? would a fass fuel ssystem help out? what would the pros be to going to the 12valve
Old 04-05-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
the aftermarket rebuilt vp44 pumps are all good. however, good is a relative thing.

The 12 valve is somewhat easier due to the lack of electronics. basically it needs power/ground for the starter, a hookup for the charging system, and heck, you can use a pull cable for the shutdown. super simple if need be.

The 24v is a nice, easily upgraded engine, just depends what you want to do
Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 AM

well the truck will be a daily driver with tow duties in the summer, i just want a reliable truck, with decent power or the ability to upgrade at a later date, the cummins would be mated to the 5speed torqueshift tranny
Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jayjma20
well the truck will be a daily driver with tow duties in the summer, i just want a reliable truck, with decent power or the ability to upgrade at a later date, the cummins would be mated to the 5speed torqueshift tranny
I think your best bet would be to opt for a 5.9 Common Rail Cummins. While I do own a VP-44 24 Valve and love it I think the Common Rail swap would make the most sense, especially for what you want to do with it.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Talk to 5.9 excursion, as he ended up putting a common rail in his 03 or so excursion. I think his was a v10 truck, but nonetheless, very similar.

The biggest pro to the 24v over a 12v is that it runs better faster in cold weather, and I think thats due to difference in timing. With my truck, I have to baby it a little more when its cold. Once its warm, no difference than before.

To me, electronics is a big con to the 24v. Lots of issues arise from it that are much harder to diagnose than pure mechanical, but thats just me. Its hard to beat the sound of a 24v though.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 PM

you got that right the 24 has i think the best sound, i looked at the common rail but the cost is alot more, i think i might try to talk to 5.9excursion, what makes the vp44 weak, i've also heard about lift pumps being issues
Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no real cure to fix the vp44, only way is to make sure you don't run it low on fuel pressure, my stock one went out at about 115k miles, I have 20k more miles now on the new one and it still runs great with mods, just make sure you have some sort of way to monitor fuel pressure running to it and as long as it was in okay condition before it should be fine.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a little info on the VP44 from the boys over at TDR:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ur-inputs.html

It's a long read but lot's of good ideas. I would say at the minumum go with an after market LP, fuel filter, lines and gauge. Some folks in warmer climates are ducting in cool air to the VP or actually running the fuel through a cooler as described in the above thread. Heat and low fuel pressure are the killers.

Once you have an upgraded VP (any pump built after '04 or so) and supply clean fuel at a good pressure (10 to 15psi) they're fairly reliable. I went with a mix of larger fuel lines, extra filtation and a steady diet of 13psi fuel (two LP's in series) to feed the VP. Going good after 30k miles but time will tell.
Mike
Old 04-06-2008, 02:13 PM

My 1999 3500 dually is my first diesel truck. It is my daily driver that is also used for towing our fifth wheel during the summers. It has been a great tow vehicle that gets me 16 MPG during my in town driving to and from work and averages better than 12 MPG towing. The only engine problem was with the crank position sensor. I have little mechanical experience and was able to replace the sensor in less than two hours. At 66,000 miles the only other drive train issue was to rebuild the transmission. The engine is probably the best on the market for a diesel pickup.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 PM

I think a 12v would be much easier to swap and more reliable. The only downside I could see to it is as you increase your power, it affects driveability and its harder to control smoke and egt's when towing. I guess that would be the one advantage to a 24v. You can add a tuning module to it and have different power levels to choose from on the fly. That way you can turn it down when your towing or wanna cut down on smoke. With a 12v, your stuck with what you got, and they can get pretty involved when tuning them.
The common rails are nice, and probably the best of both worlds. You have the tuning capabilities of modules and programmers and injection pump wise, they have been pretty reliable, however I'd still recommend a aftermarket liftpump. Only downside would be cost. Not only for the engine, but parts like injectors also cost more. I believe Painless Wiring is working on kits that make it possible to swap a commonrail in, although I don't know if this is to swap them into other makes or just dodges.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 PM

I do know of another advantage to the 12v. One of my co-workers is running what he calls griesel. For barely $1000 investment his runs great on used cooking oil. The VP44 won't handle it.

Quick Reply: 24valve pros and cons?