1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Yes! Woot!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes! Woot!

Got my Stewart Warner Pyro from my old truck installed, and you knows what happens when that happens. Now I have a couple questions....

The pump had the cap on and when pulled off, the screw was in up to the collar. So I took the collar off, and 1/2 a turn at a time, I put it all the way in, ONLY 1 1/2 turn! The idle MAY have changed a touch by ear but thats it. Took it for a drive and could only get to 750* by 70-75 then it backs off. Gauge is good. Probe is in the back half of the outlet so its reading cylinders 4-5-6. Anything wrong with the pump? I have 2 extras but one is a apart for some "good stuff"

I gave my fuel cone a grind after the test run with the FP screw all the way in. I had some grease on it to check the pin riding on the cone when I turned it to the deepest point. Getting full travel. Now that 18cm spools like my bro's 01 Ford. 2 gears later it finally hooks up the posi!!! WOOT!!!!

I also noticed a injector had a small leak, enough to get it wet. I gave it 1/8 turn. Check the others and they didn't budge. Could that account for some loss?

I took it up to 75 again and now it hits 850* BUT falls on its face at 75. I think a lift pump is in order!

So, all that said, I CAN'T wait for $120 to fall in my lap. Then I am getting valve springs and a 4k rpm spring.

WOOT!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a tach? Cause it may be your governor spring doing its duty at those speeds.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, RPM may also be a factor for it falling on it's face at 75, especially with a slippery auto.

So you turned in the smoke screw, not the fuel screw right? There is no cap on the fuel screw, just a crimped on collar. The smoke screw (on top of the AFC) has a cap... this only gives you pre-boost fuel, not full load fuel. Sounds like you have more adjustments to make if this is true. 850* is low for the fuel screw to be bottomed out. I can get 1050-1100 with mine bottomed out and a bad lift pump to boot....
Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dzl_damon, my last truck I bottomed out the fuel screw, AND no AFC spring with it being a 4x4 5spd and all I would see was 850-900* MAX unless towing or when truck pulling, 1100*.

Yes, there is a sheet metal cap on a STOCK pump, both of my trucks had one. It is for the same function as the cap on the smoke screw. I cannot remember the technical term as I am about ready for bed. I am sure as soon as I hit POST.

Every pump is different, some can only go to collar before run-away, some need a extra 1/8" welded on the end. I am just one of those that need the extra bump.

And yah, I hate the torque converter. Before, you could hear it shift. Now, it hits the govenor and stays there.