1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

wont start after new head install, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont start after new head install, help!!!

ok, got my new head on, every thing tourqed, and ready to go, valves set, and rechecked. went to bleed lines, and i can not get it too start. bleed the lines, and then agian, and nothing. i have checked my lines, no leaks, or loose lines. double checked my valves agian.
i did put in a 3200 gov spring, and had the injectors rebuild. i cant figure this out. i have bleed the lines before with no problems. but know i cant even get it to turn over.
any ideas will help. this week has been hecktic. i have had 4 hours of broken sleep in the last 36 hours, with a sick wife, and a sick kid, work, and workin on my truck. so i am not the sharpst knive right know. please, any ideas will help.

Bob
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any chance your throttle is indexed wrong? Are you leaving 3 injectors loose and 3 tight while cranking/bleeding? Any smoke at all when cranking?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 AM

i made sure it was idexed the same as i took it off. and fore the lines i am doing one at a time as the book says to do. i have a little white smoke, not much.

BOB
Old 04-04-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like you've still got some air in the lines. Leave 1-3-5 loose and tighten 2-4-6. Crank for 5-7 seconds a couple times and watch for air bubbles at the injector nuts. If the pump is primed, it should fire on three with little trouble. With a new pump, or one that has lost prime, I usually crack the overflow on the pump open and run the lift pump primer untill I get a steady stream of fuel from the OF before I even try bleeding the lines.

oh, and wear safety glasses and cover all the exposed skin that you can--once those lines prime, the fuel spraying from the loose injector nuts will cut you....
Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Give it some pedal when you're cranking it so just in case the throttle shaft is indexed wrong it'll still light off and stay running.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM

ok thanks guys, i just double checked the the indexing. it is right on the money. i got to wait till the wife gets home to bleed the lines.

one thing i want to be sure on is the high pressure lines. can some one tell me 1-6 witch lines go where on the I/P.

and what would happen if i installed the fuel heater upside down on the block.
i was questioning my self on that one.

BOB
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G1625S
sounds like you've still got some air in the lines. Leave 1-3-5 loose and tighten 2-4-6. Crank for 5-7 seconds a couple times and watch for air bubbles at the injector nuts.
Just curious, why 1-3-5 and 2-4-6? It seems to me that it would run better (hitting every other cylinder) doing 1-2-3?

I second what Dave said. When I did the 3200 spring my truck also would not start without some pedal; I had to reindex the throttle shaft.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by 90dodge
ok thanks guys, i just double checked the the indexing. it is right on the money. i got to wait till the wife gets home to bleed the lines.

one thing i want to be sure on is the high pressure lines. can some one tell me 1-6 witch lines go where on the I/P.

and what would happen if i installed the fuel heater upside down on the block.
i was questioning my self on that one.

BOB
You don't have to wait, if you do them 3 at a time it'll run on three while you bleed the other three.

You'd have a heck of a leak with an upside-down fuel heater.

Originally Posted by gman07
Just curious, why 1-3-5 and 2-4-6? It seems to me that it would run better (hitting every other cylinder) doing 1-2-3?

I second what Dave said. When I did the 3200 spring my truck also would not start without some pedal; I had to reindex the throttle shaft.
I do the front 3 and the back 3 as well.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 PM

hey wanna

what about the lines coming off the I/P, do you know the rotation of witch line goes to witch conector on the i/p

BOB
Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Ya know, that would seem like a useful piece of information to put in a shop manual, but apparently nobody at Dodge or Cummins thinks so.

Best thing to do is trace #1 back to the pump and go through the firing order (153624). The pump rotates CCW as viewed from the rear.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM

ya right, it would be some good info, but i geuss that cummins didnt want to waste the ink. i know i ot the lines on right. going back to turn her over
Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 PM

If you did not have to bend the lines when hooking then back up to the pump, they are in the right places, It would have to take an awful lot of bending to get them wrong... When i did my spring, I too could not get the truck to start, I turned the indexing shaft with nothing on it till she fired right, Then put it back together!
Front 3 bleed, then rear three. After a while, she'll start up like atomic pop corn, Dont fear the horrible knocking noise, Just keep bleeding, and all will be fine, That is what happened when we did my head gasket,,,
Thinking now, Head gasket,,,Make run,,,,, then 3200 spring,,,,make run, I will agree with the other posts, indexing out of whack, Did you write it down when you got to if,,, I didn't.
Peter.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 PM

idex

no, i did right down what position my index shaft was in. 4 up, 1 down.

ok, this is where i am right now. all lines that had been disconected are checked, and checked agian.
lines bled to I/P.
did the 135, 246 trick. 123, and 456
it will not fire, i did get at one point some combustion and some white and black smoke, but no light off.
so once agian i checked the valves, and set good.
i am thinking my lift pump is not working to its fullest capacity.
why? because when i primed the lines to the pump, i did not have a full flow of fuel.

so, i still need help, and ideas fellas

Bob
Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM

Try replacing the lift pump then. Could have been bad before you did the head gasket job. The VE will pull fuel from the tank just not very much. Now that it doesn't have any prime, it won't pull fuel by itself. Try the fuel filter first I suppose, it's cheaper. Might be plugged.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The VE should pull enough fuel to keep the truck running. Did you try starting it with some throttle?

Quick Reply: wont start after new head install, help!!!