1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wiper motor vibrating noise...bad motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper motor vibrating noise...bad motor ?

So I was on my way to the store in the chilly, pouring rain, and all of a sudden my wipers quit working. The motor was making this LOUD vibrating noise.

Turned the wipers off at the steering column, but the noise continued. Got it home, took a look. The wiper arm is still attached to the motor with the little nylon bushing, so it's not that. Manually pushed the wipers to the "off" position and the noise quit.

Here's the weird part: With key on and the wiper control turned off, if I move the wipers at all into their cycle, the noise starts up. Move them back, no noise. So I removed the little plastic bushing, and the wiper control arm, to eliminate that variable. If I move the little crank on the motor, you guessed it, the noise starts back up.

So I'm dealing with a bad motor, right ? I just replaced it last spring, when I shorted the old one out in the course of replacing the HG.

Thing is, I can't remember who I bought this from !!! I guess tomorrow I get to go around to the usual suspects and find out who sold me the crummy motor...these are a real PITA to replace, too, with those oddly placed little bolts holding them on.

But I have to ask the forum here. Is there something simple that can go wrong with these, that's easily repairable at home, or should I just replace it ?

TIA.