1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Windshield leak from h&ll

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Windshield leak from h&ll

Had new windshield and gasket put in. Leaked pretty bad as well as the new gasket didnt fit very good either. So put in old gasket but it leaks from the top pretty bad. The water dribbles in and onto the floor. The water is leaking from the top of the gasket to cab, nit windshield to gasket.

I know he did not use any adhesive in the gasket/pinch weld channel, even though I recommended he should. Anyone have suggestions on this or what normally is done when reinstalling the windshield?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mopar2ya
Had new windshield and gasket put in. Leaked pretty bad as well as the new gasket didnt fit very good either. So put in old gasket but it leaks from the top pretty bad. The water dribbles in and onto the floor. The water is leaking from the top of the gasket to cab, nit windshield to gasket.

I know he did not use any adhesive in the gasket/pinch weld channel, even though I recommended he should. Anyone have suggestions on this or what normally is done when reinstalling the windshield?
what kind of car are you talking about???
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 AM

1st Gen Dodge truck
Old 07-15-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been using 3m bedding compound.
It makes a horrific mess and need a buddy to install, but better than the urethane perma-bond
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (07-15-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I’ve had two windshields and two different seals on mine and it is still leaking everywhere. Safelite has been doing the work and three different techs have worked it. He just came out this morning and resealed it again so as soon as the glue dries I will leak test it again. Never had a leak with the old windshield. I don't know if its the new seals no fitting right or what. I think if it still leaks I am going to order a seal myself from LMC and see what happens. The tech today said if it still leaks he wants me to bring it to the shop where they can spend more time on it.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I just had Novus replace mine. Used old gasket, took about a half hour. Perfect job.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
yah, I had Safelite replace my windshield and their oldest tech did the job (while I watched). He had obviously done one before and was completely at ease seating it in a new gasket. I even gave him a $20 for doing the job so conscientously.

HOWEVER, that windshield leaks from the top in two spots in hard rain. I don't care that a little water drips on my leg, but I worry about water build up in the channel, which had just been restored when I had my cab roof cleaned up. Called Safelite, but that tech retired! And of course I don't think of it when it's NOT raining...so it continues to leak.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:08 PM

I finally got mine sealed up. It also leaked on top. I ended up using urethane between the seal and underside of rain gutter. I sprayed it with hose for a few minutes on high pressure. All us good.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Safelite came back out again a few days ago and he sealed the top between the cab and the seal. I leak checked it and it poured in everywhere. I called them again and have an appointment tomorrow to take it to the shop so they can remove it again and try another seal. They said they can spend more time on it in the shop so we will see what happens this time.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:57 AM

Btw, I used a new Precision gasket, that was junk, simy too small. So i reused the OEM gasket and sealed it. Orecision is looking into why their gasket was smaller than the OEM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Orecision is looking into why their gasket was smaller than the OEM.
I'll take a wild guess that the gaskets are smaller and lower quality, because it improves their profit margin..... Everybody, well at least 99.5% of people, now a days compares price then make their decision on what to buy from their.

A gasket that used twice the rubber and was better quality, even if it was only 25-50% more expensive would still sit on the shop shelf as people picked the cheap carp time and time again.

I always re-use an OEM windshield with the Pentastar on it and the OEM gasket when working on my '72-'93 Dodges.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Well after spending three hours at the Safelite shop today they replaced the seal again and said they were sure it wouldn’t leak. On the 2 hour trip back home it rained and it was pouring in around the top of the windshield between the seal and the gasket. I sprayed it with soap when I got home and blew some air from the inside out and it bubbled up everywhere on the outside. I swear i’m going to burn this thing!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Here's an idea...Might cost a few bucks, but you'll probably be the only one on your street......Ben

Old 07-20-2019, 05:30 PM

That is a good idea. I just went out and looked between the rubber and the cab and they put almost no Urethane there. Just a small strip and the rubber didn't’ adhere to it. I have them coming out Monday to put a windshield in the wife’s HHR and I am going to try and bum a tube of Urethane from the tech. If not I’m going to order some from Amazon and I bet I can make it stop leaking. With enough urethane in it, it will not be able to leak. I am sick and tired of messing with this leak. It’s been going on since April of last year. I just haven’t wanted to mess with the lifetime warrantee by working on it myself but obviously Safelite don't have anyone who can stop this leak. After the HHR, which better no leak, I will never use Safelite again. I will find my own shop from now on.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:11 PM

Heres a pic of the urethane it took to seal the leaks.

Quick Reply: Windshield leak from h&ll