1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wheel U joints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel U joints?

While in the process of doing all this work up front my buddy recommended I change the wheel joints while everything is apart. Its a 1993 W-250 with the dana 60. I bought the U joints and am in the process of taking it a part but I just feel like I'm openning a can of worms here. My buddy seems to think this is a simple job(jeep guy) It ain't looking that way. I took the 6 nuts off holding on the caliper bracket and dust shield off now those are removed. What next? and when i put the axle shaft out do I need to replace anything like seals, etc?? Is all the oil going to leak out? I really don't want to go tearing into the axle to do this if thats the case. 4wd will be a somewhat limited use thing for me(99% 2wd). He is a little more **** about stuff like this than me but if its easy to do from the point where I'm at now its just cheap insurance. Honestally i have never changed a U joint in my life. 4wd is pretty new too me. I'm conifdent doing anything on the truck and have the tools. I just feel like I'm working my way from the front axle nut up the rear main seal in the engine via the drive train.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Lesson number one:

Don't mess with the front axle u-joints, unless you are sure, without a doubt, that one is bad.

It will be knocking and rattling around in there if bad.

This is one time when "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is good advice.

Front axle joints are un-greasable, and it is usually the case that if one is replaced, it is very short-lived.

The factory can somehow get the originals in with plenty of lube; but, the backyard mechanic just can't seem to have that good of luck.

And I have probably put in thousands of U-joints in my life.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good enough, I'm putting it back together. I'll take a good look at it in the day light tomorrow. Unless its bad I'll leave it alone. Besides the more i think about it if I needed to change it in the future taking off what i have off now would take less than an hour so I'm not saving that much by doing it now. Just would be risking more headaches.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:18 AM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Lesson number one:

Don't mess with the front axle u-joints, unless you are sure, without a doubt, that one is bad.

It will be knocking and rattling around in there if bad.

This is one time when "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is good advice.

Front axle joints are un-greasable, and it is usually the case that if one is replaced, it is very short-lived.

The factory can somehow get the originals in with plenty of lube; but, the backyard mechanic just can't seem to have that good of luck.

And I have probably put in thousands of U-joints in my life.
My fronts must have been changed out then , because they are greaseable
Old 05-12-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
It is a PITA to do. Especially cleaning out the axle tubes so that you can get the shaft back in through the inboard seals on the differential without ruining them. I bought a pair of foorged u-joints that are greasable from Parts Mike out in CA. It was easire to get quality parts from him than any place locally . . .

There is also a needle bearing and a couple of seals that you would most likely have to replace in the spindle if you pull the spindles off . . .