1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What size of wheel cylinder do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you look at the PRICING on this stuff?
The only thing under $100 is the axle sensor.

Mark.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
Did you look at the PRICING on this stuff?
The only thing under $100 is the axle sensor.

Mark.
Not only did I look, I bought most of the stuff here, except the proportioning valve, which I got from wermopar.com. You were saying that the stuff is hard to find, I was saying that it is easy to find. I never said it was cheap...Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Not only did I look, I bought most of the stuff here, except the proportioning valve, which I got from wermopar.com. You were saying that the stuff is hard to find, I was saying that it is easy to find. I never said it was cheap...Mark
LOL, I guess if you have the money, you may as well spend it on something.
No offense, but personally, I feel it's a very mediocre and problematic type of ABS system, so I'd never spend that kinda' dough on something that you could actually improve on by eliminating it altogether.

But to each their own, I guess.

Mark.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Administrator

LOL, I guess if you have the money, you may as well spend it on something.
No offense, but personally, I feel it's a very mediocre and problematic type of ABS system, so I'd never spend that kinda' dough on something that you could actually improve on by eliminating it altogether.

But to each their own, I guess.

Mark.
The only problem that I can see is the potential liability of tampering with the system. Almost exactly 1 year ago, after finally getting my brakes to work, I was within about 16 inches from being involved in a double fatality accident, and, believe me, they checked the braking system on all the vehicles involved. I would think that money spent on the brakes is better spent than money spent on twin turbos or new injectors, my opinion of course...Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 PM

....I would think that money spent on the brakes is better spent than money spent on twin turbos or new injectors, my opinion of course...Mark
I agree 100%!
Making it go fast is easy, stopping 6,000+ plus of truck in a short distance takes a brake system in peak working condition.

I used to haul cars across country and the 1 thing I hated the most was finky brakes!
Worse, I was constantly running in Arizona, California, Oregon, Utah and Colorado and points in between.
Hauling "heavy" out there, you either have EXCELLENT brakes, or no brakes at all, especially after the hills are done with you.

Even though the trucks I have had LOOKED like an eyeseore (even my old car hauler right now is a hideous veritible Frankenstein of body parts), I did everything necessary to maintain the lighting, brakes, suspension and the steering components in top condition, which with an older truck on very rough roads, high climbs, and sharp turns is a fulltime job in itself.

My view is that, unless you ARE hauling a trailer and your vehicle is consistantly heavier than a lightly loaded trailer, or a bed with a few parts in it, upgrading to heavier duty braking components to improve rear braking efficiency, WITHOUT CORRECTING BRAKING BIAS (Attainable with an adjustable proportioning valve that is DOT compliant) is dangerous.
This also may open you up to certain legal liabilities.

However, I do feel that eliminating the problematic ABS surge valve that is on our 1st Gen trucks, is also a viable option, as even an improperly functioning one on a vehicle involved in a major crash is still subject to legal liabilities.

Mark.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator

I agree 100%!
as even an improperly functioning one on a vehicle involved in a major crash is still subject to legal liabilities.

Mark.
Just not yours...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Just not yours...
I'm no different than the next guy.
Re-read through my postings on this, I have NEVER done it MYSELF, I know HOW to do it, I may even end up actually doing one on my own vehicle one day, but I wouldn't do it for anyone else.

BTW, did you by chance verify that your replacemnt parts were DOT compliant prior to installing them?
It's a good idea.

Mark.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Administrator

I'm no different than the next guy.
Re-read through my postings on this, I have NEVER done it MYSELF, I know HOW to do it, I may even end up actually doing one on my own vehicle one day, but I wouldn't do it for anyone else.

BTW, did you by chance verify that your replacemnt parts were DOT compliant prior to installing them?
It's a good idea.

Mark.

i meant just not your liability. I believe that all of the parts were rebuilt original parts...Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Ah, I see what you meant, now.
If the factory installed part fails, it's "XYZ auto's" fault for it failing.
Gotcha'.
This day and age, I think the money hungry liabilty lawyers would try to get vehicle owners in trouble for "poor maintenance", in the event of an accident like that, if they could.

Mark.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Ah, I see what you meant, now.
If the factory installed part fails, it's "XYZ auto's" fault for it failing.
Gotcha'.
This day and age, I think the money hungry liabilty lawyers would try to get vehicle owners in trouble for "poor maintenance", in the event of an accident like that, if they could.

Mark.
It's like that old joke about the 2 hikers that see a bear and 1 says to the other, we have to run, but the other sits down and starts putting on his running shoes. The first guy says what are you doing? You cannot out run a bear. The other says I know, but I can out run you...They sue everybody, but really want the deep pockets...Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Excellent analogy...and so, so true!

Mark.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey-Hey!!!,
Are there any smaller cylinders out there? 15/16"? 7/8" maybe? I don't want to go messing with the proportioning valve and consistently engage the poor RWAL or if the light is lit, lock up the rears first. Since bigger fronts aren't an option, change the bias with smaller cylinders seems the next option to look through.

Not much towing, and plenty conservative when and if I have to...also equipped with a PAC brake.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There is a 7/8" bore available.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
There is a 7/8" bore available.
hey-Hey!!!,
That would be about 20% less brakes on the rear...which looks about right for my mostly empty, passenger-car service. What do these things come in?
cheers,
Douglas
Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
3/4 ton Dodges with 12x2" brakes. They actually show up when you look up our trucks in a lot of catalogs, they are not hard to find.

Quick Reply: What size of wheel cylinder do I need?