1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What should I do?

I have a 91.5 W-250 4x4 5speed and I would like to do some mods to it but would like a little advice on where to start. I would really like to spend alot of money and go with twins and all that stuff some day, but for now I would like to start out cheap. As of now my truck is pretty well stock other than the pump was turned up and it has an exhaust off a 99' CTD with a straight pipe on it and a few gauges (pyro, boost, mech. oil pressure) A few things I was thinking of to start off with is advancing the timing and getting a 3200 governor spring what would ya'll suggest? Also what is the highest I can run my EGT's to without hurting anything on the stock turbo?

Chris
Old 12-07-2005, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shave Down The Fuel Plate If You Do This Youll Need To Get A New Clutch With This You Should Push Around 390 To 400hp
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 PM

That sounds really good, is there any drawbacks to doing that and what would it cost, what type of place would do it ect...?

Chris
Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 PM

Alot Of Black Smoke And If You Dont Get Rid Of Ur Stock Clutch Before U Shave Down Ur Fuel Plate Ull Just Spin It Any Machine Shop That Ur Good With Or A Mech
Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well other then the draw back of putting a whole new injection pump in your truck no drawback. Your 91.5 does not have a fuel plate as it is a rotary injection pump. It looks like you have a good start. There are many things you can do to it to get a few more ponies out of her. If you weren't the one who did the adjustments to your fuel pump then you might wanna read this page to help get an understanding of what some of the things you can do are
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm after you read that you will most likely have more questions. You will also want to do something with your stock airbox/filter. A 3200 governer spring is a great mod for top end. Its not neccasarily the turbo that you will hurt with high egts but your pistons and your head. You will want to keep your egts under 1500 to keep yourself safe although a couple quick burst at 1500 SHOULD be ok but don't take my word on it. If you tow with your truck there is some things that you probably don't want to do as it will be too difficult to control egts. Well that should set you off for a bit let us know if u have anymore questions. Oh and btw welcome to the site theres lots to learn here.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by singleturnout
Shave Down The Fuel Plate If You Do This Youll Need To Get A New Clutch With This You Should Push Around 390 To 400hp
Only if it was actually that easy your thinking of a p7100 not the bosch ve rotary pump which the 89-93 trucks have. The p7100 was 94-98.5
Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
THE FIRST THING IS TO GET A SET OF GOOD GAUGES ...PYROMETER, boost,SO YOU DONT DO A MELT DOWN. THEN START TO TURN SCREWS
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info and welcome Underpsi, the guy before me turned up the fuel pump and said he got the info off the internet and printed it out and he gave me the copy he used, and that link you gave me is the exact thing that he used to turn it up by.

rebal, I have a pyro, boost and mech. oil pressurel gauges, is there any others I should have?

Chris
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 PM

no those will do you fine. the most important one with a bombed truck is pyro unless its an auto which yours isn't a tranny temp gauge is almost a must as well. in the future you may want to get a fuel pressure gauge but its not necesary. Do you understand many of the things on that sheet of hot to turn them up? or do you know where they are located and such? what are the max egts you see?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:23 PM

SORRY FOR THE MIS INFO THERES A DIESEL SHOP IN ARTHURDALE WV THATS WERE I DO MY BUISNESS ITS CALLED ADVANCE DIESEL TECHNOLGY
THE OWNERS NAME IS DOUG HIS WEB IS WWW.SMOKINDIESEL.COM YOU
SHOULD CHECK IT OUT
Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
rebal, I have a pyro, boost and mech. oil pressurel gauges, is there any others I should have?

Chris[/QUOTE]

YES there is one more ...A FUN METER
Old 12-08-2005, 07:20 AM

rebal,
I heard that on a fun meter, I think it is a blast to drive and have always wanted a gen I cummins!!!

singleturnout,
I have heard about that place a guy in faimont told me about them, I have emailed the guy there about a few things, but thanks for the link anyway.

underpsi, he said he turned the fuel up 2.5 turns, it will really pour out the black smoke, the highest EGT I have seen was 1250 at WOT on a real steep hill, it will probably go a little higher when I pull something but I don't think it's to bad because it takes a while to get up that high and kinda just hangs right there.

Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 08:17 AM

is the pyro reading before or after the turbo? if it's before the turbo you are supposed to be able to run 1200 all day long without problems, after that there are "time limits" to how long you should hold it. i remember seeing a post but can't remember.
so that we have an idea how you are running, what kind of boost numbers are you seeing? 2.5 turns on the pump can range from pump to pump, they all react differently. if you are pouring out the smoke and want to clean it up (burn more effieciently) i'd say to consider a HTT stage III compressor wheel. that's for the stock turnbo, does the 99 exhaust include the HX wastegated turbo?
i'd say the spring and advanced timing are a great start though.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:40 AM

The only thing fron the 99 is the exhaust itself, eventually I am going to go with a stack up the side by the flatbed but not right now, I really like all the black smoke and would hate to loose it, but if it made some hp I could deal with it. As for the pyro location I have no Idea where it is located I will have to look and see, the most boost I have seen is between 30-40 but not real sure exactly I haven't really paid very close attention to it, I usually watch the pyro when I am running it hard, I will try and look and see what the boost goes to next time.

Chris
Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Just an update, I made sure and look last time and the highest the boost goes to is about 30.

Chris