1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Is this what people call a death wobble, or is it something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this what people call a death wobble, or is it something else?

So, I have a '92 w250 with a butt-puckering wobble at high speeds. Up around high 70's, if I'm applying pressure to the gas pedal and suddenly release, it feels like my tail end is going to slide out from under me. many of the things I have read sound like the "Death Wobble" happens at low speeds so I'm skeptical that this is the same phenomena. I've also found that lately my front end seems to crunch, sounds as if a front U joint is failing but I'm not in 4. Are these two things related? I've heard the frond end likes to go out on these. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:30 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
This does not sound like the infamous death wobble to me. From your description there may be other problems, maybe more than one. I would start by jacking up the front and checking all parts of the suspension and steering thoroughly for bad components.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
So, I have a 90-w250 and from what your saying obviously it difficult to diagnose things from a board post without pictures etc. if the rear feels like its going to fall out did you check the bushings at the spring eye? I know my kingpin bushes are shot and the spring bushes are toast, my front drive shaft u joints were hammered, the one thing that's odd is the retaining ear for the u joint c-clip is gone on one side its been the usual thing lately i.e. one of the u joint caps is starting to fall out of the retainer and the c-clip is MIA. just once over everything even the ujoints in the axle shafts.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
What does that mean, when "the rear feels like it's going to slide out from underneath me".

I really can't comprehend this feeling. Can we be more specific ?

The death wobble is this.....

or this

Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM

My kind of death wobble....

Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 PM

My favorite death wobble is at 9.35 minutes....

Led Zep in a nice package...

Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Nice wobblers!
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Whoa there! The missus ain't gonna let me come here and play if you post up stuff like that!

About truck "wobble", do you have a rear limited slip that's maybe acting up? I had a Scout with a cheesy locker in the rear that made it feel like it was trying to steer the rear, usually letting off in a curve.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
That 1991 I just picked up sure has it. Nothing like the video, but the counterclockwise, clockwise, then back type of steering. So far, the three out of four dodges I've owned have done that. Two of them a Borgeson shaft cured it, then king pins and front axle u-joints bettered the cure.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
Whoa there! The missus ain't gonna let me come here and play if you post up stuff like that!
e
What does your wife have against musicians?

Lol
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
That 1991 I just picked up sure has it. Nothing like the video, but the counterclockwise, clockwise, then back type of steering. So far, the three out of four dodges I've owned have done that. Two of them a Borgeson shaft cured it, then king pins and front axle u-joints bettered the cure.
Is Death Wobble something that's more prevalent in 4X4's with straight axles in front? I've never had it in any of my 4 wheel vehicles but I've only had one 4X4 and it was an S-10 chevy with independent front suspension. I got into it once on my KZ1300 bike at high speed. I fixed that real quick though. Scared the pudding out of me.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Wobble, shake, bounce, or vibration can come from many sources, the trick is finding that source, or combination of sources are causing the problem.
Steering column: Any lateral (side to side) free play of the steering shaft in the column, or damage to the outer tube that allows it to flex will result in a small turning motion at the steering box. A low caster angle will amplify the small motion into a larger one.
Steering box: If the sector isn't correctly adjusted or the bushings on the input and output shafts are worn, a steering movement will be introduced or go unchecked.
Steering box bracket: If it's cracked it can introduce movement.
Drag link and tie rod ends: Worn out will introduce movement.
Front left leaf spring mount: Because of the force applied on that side through the steering box it is common for them to come loose on the frame and introduce movement.
Shocks: Good shocks help control unwanted movement.
Steering damper: As above.
Tires and rims: Out of round, not properly balanced, and/or bent rims introduce unwanted movement.
Brake disc: Warped introduces unwanted movement.
CV joints: If they are bad they can throw things out of balance.
Leaf spring and frame bushings, front and rear axles: For and aft movement of the axle will change its angle to the frame.
Frame: A cracked frame will shift an axle resulting is steering changes. A loose frame that can rack will do the same.
Sources of vibration, shake, and bounce,
Tires and rims.
U joints.
Engine and transmission mounts, brackets/plates, and cross members.
Other rotating engine components.
Drive shaft angles.
Brake drag.
Broken, weak, or mismatched leaf springs.

We are talking 25 year old trucks here and I have seen most of the above myself. Mostly on my 91.5 that saw a lot of hard use.
The following users liked this post:
mtnwldman (02-03-2018)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
Wobble, shake, bounce, or vibration can come from many sources, the trick is finding that source, or combination of sources are causing the problem.
Steering column: Any lateral (side to side) free play of the steering shaft in the column, or damage to the outer tube that allows it to flex will result in a small turning motion at the steering box. A low caster angle will amplify the small motion into a larger one.
Steering box: If the sector isn't correctly adjusted or the bushings on the input and output shafts are worn, a steering movement will be introduced or go unchecked.
Steering box bracket: If it's cracked it can introduce movement.
Drag link and tie rod ends: Worn out will introduce movement.
Front left leaf spring mount: Because of the force applied on that side through the steering box it is common for them to come loose on the frame and introduce movement.
Shocks: Good shocks help control unwanted movement.
Steering damper: As above.
Tires and rims: Out of round, not properly balanced, and/or bent rims introduce unwanted movement.
Brake disc: Warped introduces unwanted movement.
CV joints: If they are bad they can throw things out of balance.
Leaf spring and frame bushings, front and rear axles: For and aft movement of the axle will change its angle to the frame.
Frame: A cracked frame will shift an axle resulting is steering changes. A loose frame that can rack will do the same.
Sources of vibration, shake, and bounce,
Tires and rims.
U joints.
Engine and transmission mounts, brackets/plates, and cross members.
Other rotating engine components.
Drive shaft angles.
Brake drag.
Broken, weak, or mismatched leaf springs.

We are talking 25 year old trucks here and I have seen most of the above myself. Mostly on my 91.5 that saw a lot of hard use.
Cougar- great post. As I read thru your list, I did a mental note of items I have checked off in your "list".
You forgot one item though, and I'm sure others will agree- alcohol in the drivers system will also induce "death wobble".
Sorry, feeling the humor on Fathers Day.

By the way, to all the non dead beat, non child support paying, non abandoning, non sexual harassing, and non physically and mentally abusive low life dads, HAPY FATHERS DAY. If you don't fit this description, you know where you belong, LOL!