1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I had bad pain in my left shoulder for years. Steroid shots and PT did nothing. Last July I stopped eating potatoes and the pain stopped. I also lost about 30 pounds and I feel a lot better overall. I take lots of vitamins also, Especially D3, B complex and C.

Edwin
Old 02-27-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I had bad pain in my left shoulder for years. Steroid shots and PT did nothing. Last July I stopped eating potatoes and the pain stopped. I also lost about 30 pounds and I feel a lot better overall. I take lots of vitamins also, Especially D3, B complex and C.

Edwin
School me, Edwin...what is in potatoes that aggravates the shoulders? Is it a mineral of some type, or is the weight gain tied into the potatoes?
I, too have been on a steady diet of cortisone injections on both shoulders- every three months for eight years!

Got a feeling I know why sheet metal workers pass within two years after retirement. Trashed bodies
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Edwin
I believe you completely.
Had foot and hand pain for years. Stopped eating hot pepper ( in all forms ) and. The foot and hand pain is gone.if I go back to eating hot peppers, the pain returns. When I began taking fish oil and flax seed oil capsules each day the shoulder pain decreased dramatically. So you are definitely onto something regarding food intake and associated pain
mknittle (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I believe you completely.
Had foot and hand pain for years. Stopped eating hot pepper ( in all forms ) and. The foot and hand pain is gone.if I go back to eating hot peppers, the pain returns. When I began taking fish oil and flax seed oil capsules each day the shoulder pain decreased dramatically. So you are definitely onto something regarding food intake and associated pain
This sounds like a CNS problem when you start talking spicy foods and pain. I'm not a dr though...

You may try some glucosamine as well. It's efficacy is still up in the air but I've read enough good on it to try it.

My pup is on glucosamine after her knee surgeries.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
School me, Edwin...what is in potatoes that aggravates the shoulders? Is it a mineral of some type, or is the weight gain tied into the potatoes?
I, too have been on a steady diet of cortisone injections on both shoulders- every three months for eight years!

Got a feeling I know why sheet metal workers pass within two years after retirement. Trashed bodies
Robin says potatoes can cause water retention.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
This sounds like a CNS problem when you start talking spicy foods and pain. I'm not a dr though...

You may try some glucosamine as well. It's efficacy is still up in the air but I've read enough good on it to try it.

my wife says that Chondrointin is also good.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder

Could be, but allergies can have different effects for different people. I spent 35 years eating hot peppers almost daily. Nothing would surprise me if you said that capsacin entering my system alters the nervous system firing patterns in my body.

After a long period of not eating hot peppers, I experimented with a huge amount of shake on crushed red peppers on my pizza. Within 6. Hours my hands and feet began to ache. I woke up at 4 am in the most excruciating digestive cramping pain I've ever had. I could physically feel the food moving left and right and back again as the meal went through my intestines. I nearly had my wife call 911 as I thought I was going to pass out from the pain...the cramping felt like a knife slicing open my belly.. And what seemed like forever, it finally made its way out. I wiped my tears out of my eyes, and the peppers off my ....... Jumped in the shower and vowed never to touch them again.

8 weeks later I did it again, and repeated the process.

I will (now) never go through that again...that was 6 months ago. Haven't had any interest in them since
Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 PM

Both Potatoes and Peppers are members of the genus Solanaceae or Nightshades. Some varieties such as Deadly Nightshade are poison. I heard that they can cause inflammation in some people so I stopped eating them as an experiment and almost immediately the pain stopped. I haven't had more than one or two french fries since. Sweet potatoes or Yams are NOT nightshades and can be eaten if you just have to have potatoes.

As for the weight it was the carbs. Carbs are fattening no matter what your Dr. may tell you. Cut out carbs and lose weight.

Edwin
bigragu (02-27-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 AM

Here is a Wikipedia article on Nightshades. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

YMMV

Edwin
The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
mknittle (02-28-2017), thrashingcows (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 AM

Both Potatoes and Peppers are members of the genus Solanaceae or Nightshades.
Edwin
Thank you, Edwin. This would explain things much clearer than before regarding painful joints....

List of Nightshade Vegetables & Fruits | LIVESTRONG.COM

I'm giving this a shot (avoiding these types of veggies). At least now, I understand why I feel sick when I eat a small bag of potato chips with my lunch sandwich, and not alone with just the sandwich.
mknittle (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I damaged my left shoulder as a teen, my buddy stole a bottle of liquor and we ditched school and drank it all. I ended up sliding down the face of a local rock and dislocating my left shoulder. I never went to the doctor because of fear of punishment. I re-injured it several times in the following years which resulted in 70% or so loss of range of motion and severe chronic pain. Fast forward to a couple of years ago: I was at the local dog park and I was talking to a gal that mentioned that she had had a shoulder replacement a year earlier. She had around 90-95% ROM, I was very impressed and ended up with my own a few months later. The new technology is amazing, it feels like my natural shoulder. I had had 3 prior surgeries, so the scar isn't even new, just a bit longer.

To end this, I am 62 years old, I run about 60-70 miles a month and am completely pain free for the first time in many years. I am about 14 months post surgery and am up to 20 push-ups and feel like a teenager. About chiles, I think that there is something very healthy about them, but it doesn't surprise me that they affect people differently...Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
mknittle (02-28-2017), NJTman (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Back on topic.... Sorry, DTR Mods....

Drove the brick about today, took off the plow, removed the sand bags from their cages (ballast) and I'm welcoming spring in as we speak. Not much of a real chance at this point for anything significant, and easily removed from the storage unit if need be.

60* days in February. This calls for greasing up the front axle joints, Kingpins, drag links and maybe if I feel frisky, I might even change my oil out and give the truck a nice washin.........as I had already powerwashed the salt off a few weeks back

Beautiful weather is being enjoyed....
Old 03-01-2017, 07:18 PM

It's 77 deg. here in SoCal and a beautiful day for a change. Makes me want to go do something but my butt just doesn't want to move. It's bill paying day but they'll wait until tomorrow also. I got my 2 new headlight doors in for my conversion to the (2 style front grille. Still waiting on the parking lights but I think I can start on it tomorrow. Looks like the hardest part will be to move the headlights up about an inch or so. The rest of it is just bolts and screws. I'll post pics as I go along. Maybe in a separate thread.

Edwin
Old 03-01-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Put the back end up on jack stands to run a new e-brake cable and adjust the rear brakes. Weather decided to interfere so will try and finish before the week is over.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:40 PM

Drove the brick to the local Blowes home Improvement to get some concrete and 10,000 lb ratcheting straps for my decade plus year old fence that was blown over last week.

Seems as though we had some excessive winds the other day, which in turn, decided to do more damage than when Hurricane Sandy passed through 4 years ago. We had zero damage from sandy, other than 11 days with no power. This silly little storm took down my chainlink fence (well, it bent the posts, really), and today being a wind chill of 13* F (25 plus the winds) was the perfect day to fix it.....

NOT ! Oh well, got it upright for now anyway....

All the years and never any damage. Those slats are NG for wind..... Will finish it up on another day, re stretch the fence, add a few more posts, and concrete the heck out of the posts that actually didn't bend.

NOTE TO SELF: Never buy fencing material from Home Dopeo....

Hope the dodge can handle all that weight...lol
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0302170813_hdr.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0304171517_hdr.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0304171245.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0304171756-1-800x728.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?