1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wandering steering/bump steer

Old 01-28-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
From the FSM:

"(3) The camber angle should be adjusted as near as possible to the preferred angle. The caster should be the same at both sides of the vehicle. Refer to the Specifications chart."

If I am reading your sheet correctly, I think that you need more camber, and that you have excessive cross caster (less positive caster on the left side to counteract the tendency for caster to pull "down" the crown of a road, that is, to the right).
Old 01-28-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec
From the FSM:

"(3) The camber angle should be adjusted as near as possible to the preferred angle. The caster should be the same at both sides of the vehicle. Refer to the Specifications chart."

If I am reading your sheet correctly, I think that you need more camber, and that you have excessive cross caster (less positive caster on the left side to counteract the tendency for caster to pull "down" the crown of a road, that is, to the right).
Looks like he needs a bit more caster too.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec
From the FSM:

Just an update everyone! truck drive good now. the alignment wasn't way off but i guess it was enough to make everything drive like junk... turns out my that someone had dropped on of the heads for the alignment rack when my buddy did the alignment. took it to a different shop and all is good now!

Thanks for the help everyone!
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-06-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizmo52
Just an update everyone! truck drive good now. the alignment wasn't way off but i guess it was enough to make everything drive like junk... turns out my that someone had dropped on of the heads for the alignment rack when my buddy did the alignment. took it to a different shop and all is good now!

Thanks for the help everyone!
Same thing happened to me.

Brought my dodge to one shop, and the alignment wasn't right, even though they were all fancy dancy computerized up.

Brought the dodge to a "Truck spring shop" that had one of those fancy dancy computerized gadgets, and the truck has been perfect ever since.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Same thing happened to me.

Brought my dodge to one shop, and the alignment wasn't right, even though they were all fancy dancy computerized up.

Brought the dodge to a "Truck spring shop" that had one of those fancy dancy computerized gadgets, and the truck has been perfect ever since.
On my 4wheel drives I do my own. I have had so called alignment shops do mine and brought it home and redid it so it was right. So much for being lazy.