1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

VE front seal questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
VE front seal questions

I bought a regulator but I wouldn't mind adding some assurance and maybe even try running the truck with just the high pressure lift pump without the regulator.

For clarification, this sucker is the front seal right?

Now if that thing gets pushed out from too high pressure, I assume the pump gear doesn't press right up against it? Why not just have something machined to fill the gap between the gear and IP so the front seal can't get pushed out from the pressure? Of course you'd have to measure the gap and all but why not?
Or am I missing something here...
Old 09-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
The gear turns; the seal doesn't.

Some have pressed the seal in a bit further and put a lock-ring/snap-ring in a machined groove.

The problem with that approach is that the shaft is tapered and the seal I.D. is too small to be further up the shaft; I don't know how they addressed that issue.

Another approach I have seen is to drill/tap three holes around the housing, such that the heads of large-headed machine-screws over-lapped the edges of the seal.

I am not saying they can't, but I have read and heard much talk of the seal pushing out, but I have never read of anyone's that actually did.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
The gear turns; the seal doesn't.

Some have pressed the seal in a bit further and put a lock-ring/snap-ring in a machined groove.

The problem with that approach is that the shaft is tapered and the seal I.D. is too small to be further up the shaft; I don't know how they addressed that issue.

Another approach I have seen is to drill/tap three holes around the housing, such that the heads of large-headed machine-screws over-lapped the edges of the seal.

I am not saying they can't, but I have read and heard much talk of the seal pushing out, but I have never read of anyone's that actually did.
beautiful. Do you happen to know how deep one could tap some short but large headed screws in there? I guess if ya locktited the screws they wouldn't need to be very deep...
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Some time back, there was a very lengthy thread on this very subject, complete with bunches of good pictures of both fixes.

Maybe someone can point us in the direction of that thread.

I have not done either modification myself; I just know both have been done by others.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 PM

it sure would be nice to see this thread you're talking about. I am going to maybe try to secure the front seal and run my high pressure second gen piston pump without a regulator.

As per your other thread I may even try running this banjo on the fuel inlet right off the pump. That way I know what the pressure is right at the pump.

http://www.torkteknology.com/product...PN-BBS010.html