1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Valet Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valet Switch

Im not sure exactly on the purpose or function of a valet switch. My understand is you tap it into the AFC so that it doesn't get as much boost and will delay the fuel. Which means this would be a simple switch that u can open to get good mileage and then close it when you want some good power? Is this correct?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You've got the idea. If your pump is cranked way up and you have big injectors, you have way more fuel available than you need for normal driving. The switch controls a solenoid valve mounted in the AFC line. When the switch is off, no boost gets to the AFC diaphragm, so the fuel pin never allows full governor lever travel. I run around in valet mode most of the time, but I do "exercise" the system about once a week (only to keep things from getting stuck, of course ).

Don't expect a fuel mileage gain. I did it so I could drive a little less gently and still not fog out 4 lane highways.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

You put an electric switch in the cab for it right? You basically have to make a new afc line then? I believe you went from the manifold where the afc line is to your solenoid and then to the top of the pump where the afc line goes, is this correct? Ya of course only to keep things from getting stuck thanks for the info
Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can live without having in cab adjustability, then just buy a small valve with the right size threading on it, and use it. Just pop the hood and flip the valve when you want to change. Thats how i have my truck right now, and i like it. I DO wish i could adjust it in the cab, but not for $100. Its just not good for those times you want to race, but cant stop, and pop the hood You can check my gallery for pics though(2nd gen truck). My Valet actually bleeds the boost off instead of blocking the line. Still works great.

Eric
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 AM

thanks, i don't think im gonna bother with one. Once my body is done its not gonna be a daily driver so its not really necessary as im gonna want all the power i can get when i take it out.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Call me cheep BUT, why could`nt you tee into the afc line and use some type of manual valve? You could run the tee branch into the cab, mount the valve wherever convenient and run an "out" line back out of the cab, OR you could route the AFC line into the cab and put something like a ball valve in the line...or am I nuts?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You could do a manual setup, I guess. No reason it couldn't be done. There might be a little delay between when you build boost and when the AFC starts moving, but with the way a guy who needs a valet switch is fueled I don't imagine it would make any difference.