1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Update on 4"Stans exhaust with my combination of mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Update on 4"Stans exhaust with my combination of mods

Never had a Stan's before till now. It is mounted from turbo back on my W250. What a difference when compared to my D250 with only has a 4" straight pipe from where the tranny used to be to the rear of the truck, and the rest is OEM to the turbo. You guys were right, on the down pipe being a major restriction. Everything went well on the install, but the only fault in my situation is the pipe is banging on the rear shock, melting my shock boot. Any of you run into this? Is it possible to re-drill new shock mount holes 2 inches away from the pipe towards the driver's side to widen the gap?

Anyway, went up to cub scout camp in Lassen which is a 2 hour haul up the mountains past Chico and egt's never went over 1000, and this is with the HY 9cm. This was also a trial with the new POD's installed, and also I ran propane on this set up for the 1st time. The results were positive, and at times I saw my egt guage drop down when the propane came on, and still had the benefit of the "thrust" in power that propane provides. Hardly any smoke, as a fellow grouper from my scout troop witnessed following behind me. POD's do like the timing, which the pane provides. Cruising on flat at 70 mph saw 8 psi boost,(dropped way down now with the new 4" exhaust) and up a grade saw 28 psi. The propane comes on at 19 psi boost, and it was at that time climbing the grade to Lassen that I saw the egt's go down. There was a moment that I ended up at the end of the convoy, and got stuck behind a semi on a 2 lane road. That HY spools up so fast that passing was effortless; like driving a later model computerized gasser because of no lag whatsoever.

Tranny temps never went over 180 at some of the road construction stops of 5 minutes long that our group encountered, and hung at 165 most of the time when I was cruising. The B&M tranny cooling fan was well worth the install and cost.

Bottom line to this post: if you are debating over a Stan's, hopefully this will end the debate. If you are questioning POD's, they are great for the price, and will smoke less with a 4", as I witnessed.( I will take some of that comment back. If you like to punch it to WOT often, you will blacken anyone behind you. For normal driving is what I am talking about). On the HY, well, I understand there are those against it, but if you don't plan on towing, which I don't, and love no-lag, you ought to try it. The same goes for propane. It has worked on my D250 for at least 3 years now, and works well w/ POD's on my W250, as I discovered. By the way, on my intake, I am running a Wix replacement, and my pump has 2 whole turns on the screw, and standard deep part of the fuel cone facing the front of the truck.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice info. What exhaust did you swap from? Stock or stock straight pipe? What kind of drop did you see in EGT? Also how is the volume compared to what you had previously? Did you get a muffler or is it just straight 4"?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Glad you're in love with it. I sure love mine too.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Already got the stans 4"

now I want the propane

What size propane tank are you running ?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the stans systems have all the hangers and is a bolt up no hack job system? I'm looking to move up to the 4 inch exhaust.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by KartRacer
Nice info. What exhaust did you swap from? Stock or stock straight pipe? What kind of drop did you see in EGT? Also how is the volume compared to what you had previously? Did you get a muffler or is it just straight 4"?

Thanks
I swapped from an OEM stock system which ran to where the muffler was, and had a turn down tip right there. Noisy, very noisy. I did get the muffler from Stan's, which was part of the basic kit. Stan gives you 5 -4" clamps. if you order a kit, I would ask for an extra hanger and another weld on to help pull the over axle portion of the system over and away from the shock absorber. This kit was for a 4x4, and was designed to miss the transfer case.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Rich
Already got the stans 4"

now I want the propane

What size propane tank are you running ?
10 gallon, and it takes a fill up every 2 months, sometimes almost 3 months. It is mounted in the bed, right up against the wall on the other side of the cab compartment. It is a tank purposely designed for propane fumigation in diesel trucks, but a tank off of a fork lift will work also. It has to be a liquid feed tank. You know, WANNADIESEL is a propane expert, and he will fill you in on any LP questions.

I would look out for a used kit from Bullydog or ATS, or maybe a Powershot 2000. I wouldn't buy new. there are people with the newed trucks that are using chips and programmers. Some of the computer tuning affects propane use in a negative way, like damage, so people end up selling their kits. I would cruise through the 2nd and 3rd gen classifieds and the classifieds in www.thedieselstop.com.

All these proffesionally designed systems are made to have the truck's coolant system run through the propane manifold( the heart of the system) and convert liquid lp into vapor before it is fumigated into your intake. Personally, I would stay away from home brew kits. Once you accidentally intake liquid lp into your intake, well, things go bye bye. If you ever need further questions on LP design and layout of the system, PM me and I will guide you. Oh, one more thing. Most of the diesel magazines out there, Diesel Power, Diesel World, Diesel Builder, and 8 Lug have ran propane kit installations lately. I am sure if you check their web sites you should be able to view the installs.