1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

>>> unusual throttle lever <<<

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Wink >>> unusual throttle lever <<<

Name:  IMG_1959-1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  96.3 KB

This is getstucksome's picture/truck.

Notice first the odd throttle retaining nut.

Then notice that the break-over spring is BETWEEN the two levers, instead of on top like ours.

I have never seen such a set-up on a factory-issue Dodge; what application would that pump have came from ??
Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Name:  IMG_1959-1.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  96.3 KB

Okay; just above the weird throttle retaining nut, on all of our throttle-levers, is an adjustment slot with a lock-bolt through the slot.

What beneficial function does this slot perform ??

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like every other stock Non i/c setup i have seen.

And he did the easy homemade idle adjustment mod too, i did that to mine and it makes adjusting the idle SO SO easy.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 AM

That weird throttle retaining nut is what goes around the actual throttle shaft, you can actually see the throttle index line.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Mine is a non i/c pump and it doesn't resemble that one.

Also, BK, I'd like to think that the little slot you refer to in the second picture could be used as another idle adjustment.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 PM

The 89 pump i have sitting in a box has that exact style lever. The pump i put on the 93 also had the same style lever it was off a 90, the 93 input fuel line actually came in contact with that little "ear" at the top of the lever, which i ground off as well, i can see in getstucksomes picture he grinded his little nib off as well because it probably hit the fuel line
Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
Also, BK, I'd like to think that the little slot you refer to in the second picture could be used as another idle adjustment.
Unfortunely not, I tried it on the 93 and it would not move, I believe it made the idle higher as it moves all as one piece. I'm not sure why that little bolt/slot is there really
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM

I have trucks, engines, and pieces of engines around here from 1989 to 1993, plus having poked my head under dozens and dozens of 1st Gen.s and every last one of them has the exact same set-up as that shown in jimbo486's picture.

As for that mystery slot/bolt business, some time when I have time, I will pull the lever from one of the extras and see if anything adjusts.

Someone who knows will maybe enlighten us directly.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I will have to check some of my service manuals, maybe the lever is off an industrial or marine application, I know some have CAV pumps .
anybody know?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen more than a few like that. Seem to be on the early 103 pumps.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you didn't own the truck from the day it rolled off the assembly line, then who knows what's been done to it.

My truck is a non-IC'd, but it doesn't have that linkage arm on it. The factory IP was replaced at 100k though, so you never know.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Jimbo's pump has the same throttle lever on it the 92 does, and i know for a fact it's the original pump on it. and mine is too, and it has the same one

I'm with Bill. the early pumps like the 1989 pump i had, have that style.

There is no advantage to it what so ever- IIRC, when i was doing the 3200 springs on the various trucks THAT style is harder to get the spring in than the later style.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:17 AM

My personal engine has a manufacture date of October 1988 and it doesn't have that weird deal.

Also, the automatic trucks will have to have the normal style, as the throttle position sensor engages the HEX Allen hole in the cap-nut.

One other thing I see is the kill-lever stop-screw is ran out about half-an-inch.

I have never before seen one that was anywhere but nearly flush with the lock-nut.

What would give reason to run it out as that one is ??
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 PM

Wink >>> about the slot <<<

I am going to borrow jimbo's picture as it is a better representative of 99% of what we have.

I backed my idle-adjustment-screw until the threads were barely exposed and still had a bit more idle-speed than I wanted.

Then I noticed that the idle-stop on the throttle-lever was about 1/4-inch from actually touching the idle-screw; the idle-stop was against a portion of the AFC tower and cannot go completely against the idle-screw boss.

I had already manufactured one of those neat easy-to-adjust idle adjustment bolt-brackets; in fact, I set up an assembly-line and made four of them.

So, to get the idle more to my liking, I took a look at that little bolt-in-a-slot business on the throttle-lever.

See that little hole on the left side of the bolt-head, sort of in that little pointed end; on the lower plate is a raised dimple that positions the upper plate in factory-stock centered alignment.

I actually believe that the little dimple is also mildly spot-welded into the hole.

I generously loosened the 10-mm bolt, but the top plate would not move.

I squeezed the two plates with a pair of channel-locks and the dimple then snapped loose from the hole.

The two plates now slide easily back and forth; the dimple still firmly locates center position.

To my way of looking at the situation, sliding the upper plate toward the front of the truck should yield more lever travel in the idle direction; I slid the top plate as far forward as the slot allowed.

I was expecting the idle to now be so low that the engine may not even start --- WRONG.

When I bumped the starter, the engine roared to life and sat there idling at right at 2,000-RPM; so, moving the top plate as far forward as the slot allows will increase engine speed from 850-RPM to 2,000-RPM.

I shut the engine off and slid the top plate toward the AFC, going past the dimple and with the leading edge of the top plate right against and behind the dimple.

This dropped the idle down to a more reasonable 810-RPM, but still with the lever contacting the AFC instead of my idle-adjustment bolt; meaning, 810 is as low as it goes until I either adjust that slot more in that direction, or center the slot, index the throttle back to the original position, and then bring in an idle from there with my new easy-adjust bolt; which is probably my best plan of action.

As best I can explain right now, that adjustment bolt/slot positions the throttle-shaft in relation to the throttle-lever and yields big changes in either direction.

Maybe tomorrow night I can again remove the whole throttle-lever and further investigate and bench-test this slot business.

I wish someone would market a glass top for the throttle housing, such that I could look inside and see just which adjustment did exactly what.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
I was on the right track

Quick Reply: >>> unusual throttle lever <<<