1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

TV cable source?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV cable source?

Still having problems with my transmission not shifting right. A mechanic here in town suggested replacing the TV cable. He said they start to go bad after 70,000 miles? I dunno. He did say it would stick and not return to its base position when the throttle was released, so I'm willing to give it a try.

I tried the local Chrysler dealership here and had a sort of "blah" experience. They also want $113 for a TV cable. I was wondering if there is another place to go to get one of these. Do you think it's alright to get once from a parts store, such as napa? Or is this a part I should trust with the OEM?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Well before I tried that I would buy a $6 can of Royal Purple penetrating spray from Orielleys and work it into the cable to try and loosen it up and lubricate it. The shifter cables on manual front wheel drive cars are simular and get stiff over time with gunk and corrosion getting into them. But on them if you disconnect one end and spray some penetrating oil to break up the corrosion and gunk, and lubricate it they generaly loosen up and work like new again.

I know its a whole different animal but worth a try. Hope that helps some.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
John, if your mess is like mine, it should have a return spring on the throttle bellcrank for the purpose of pulling the TV cable back with letting off the throttle.

70,000 miles? I've got going on 240,000miles on mine.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can also move the throttle by hand and watch down at the trans to make sure it is moving smoothly with the motion of the throttle. Make sure it is not sliding out of the mounting points at the trans and the throttle bracket. My plastic clips broke that hold the cable in place. I think driving like that for a few thousand miles added to the destruction of my trans.

I looked all around on-line and could not find any. I ended up buying one from a member here when he parted his truck. that might be your best bet.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:48 PM

I have a repair "theory" that may work but I haven't had time to try. It's on the order of being sorta like a salad recipe.

Remove the cable and soak it in a heatable container like a large pot or pan.
Place on low heat and bring up to about the point where it just begins to simmer. The vinegar being a low speed acting acid may dissolve the corrosion.
Remove after after checking for it to be free. Dump out the vinegar and replace the vinegar with distilled water. Place on low heat to now to rinse. Remove from the heat, dump out the water and replace the water with cooking oil. Place on low heat but do not bring up to a boil, just heat it enough to let the oil penetrate into the cable from the ends.

In theory it dissolves the corrosion and lubricates the cable.

Ok, now quit laughing! <>
Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trebor
I have a repair "theory" that may work but I haven't had time to try. It's on the order of being sorta like a salad recipe.

Remove the cable and soak it in a heatable container like a large pot or pan.
Place on low heat and bring up to about the point where it just begins to simmer. The vinegar being a low speed acting acid may dissolve the corrosion.
Remove after after checking for it to be free. Dump out the vinegar and replace the vinegar with distilled water. Place on low heat to now to rinse. Remove from the heat, dump out the water and replace the water with cooking oil. Place on low heat but do not bring up to a boil, just heat it enough to let the oil penetrate into the cable from the ends.

In theory it dissolves the corrosion and lubricates the cable.

Ok, now quit laughing! <>
Is it less healthy if I Barbecue it?

I was going to say call Roadrunner, or even go Direct TV

Sorry John, I had to pop a cable TV joke in there!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
Is it less healthy if I Barbecue it?

I was going to say call Roadrunner, or even go Direct TV

Sorry John, I had to pop a cable TV joke in there!
All I know is he really does not want Comcast.

BTW: mine has 436,000 on it & works fine.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by archer39
you can also move the throttle by hand and watch down at the trans to make sure it is moving smoothly with the motion of the throttle. Make sure it is not sliding out of the mounting points at the trans and the throttle bracket. My plastic clips broke that hold the cable in place. I think driving like that for a few thousand miles added to the destruction of my trans.

I looked all around on-line and could not find any. I ended up buying one from a member here when he parted his truck. that might be your best bet.
I wonder if we (my brother and I) have it mounted correctly. Will have to check it out. Anyways, today it shifted at just the right time into 2nd and put me into my seat. I was really surprised!
Old 04-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by The_Head
I wonder if we (my brother and I) have it mounted correctly. Will have to check it out. Anyways, today it shifted at just the right time into 2nd and put me into my seat. I was really surprised!
yea its amazing what happens when they shift right. My 47rh never shifted right and it was nice when i put the 518 back it to feel go though the gears instead of skipping right to 3rd then OD.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM

PATC has them, almost at the bottom of the page:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

"#79TV. 518 / 618 Lokar Throttle Valve Cable. Cost $76.00"
Old 04-19-2010, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the link!! I need one also.
Jim
Old 05-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
PATC has them, almost at the bottom of the page:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

"#79TV. 518 / 618 Lokar Throttle Valve Cable. Cost $76.00"

I got one of these, but it requires a bracket (not included) to work. Still waiting on email from the tech department for a part number.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Lokar does not make a bracket to make this TV cable work on our trucks.

Anybody running this TV cable on their truck? Please post here and let me know how you got it to work. Otherwise I gotta send it back.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 PM

Last call (for alcohol)