1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Turn your non lockup 518 into a lockup on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
I've often found that bringing up the smoke screw induces a turbo lag. Try tightening up the star wheel instead.
Good idea, the star wheel has been turned down. I have the BD fuel pin in this also so I'm hoping this will help.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by txs
You don't even need to buy the reaction shaft support if you have a good one, buy the correct size ball and stake it in, there was no difference between the lock up and non lock up castings-machinings.
Depends on the input shaft support bushing area. I was just going to put the ball in my reaction shaft but the 518 reaction shaft bushing is smaller. The 47 RH or RE has a larger diameter on the input shaft there.

I suppose if you had an older 92/93 or so 46RH gas engine lockup input shaft (think gas engine Dakota, pickup or B van) it would work.

What I do know is that the engineers increased the size of this bushing for a good reason or they wouldn't have bothered.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM

And let me clear up a few misconceptions I see on here from time to time regarding transmission designations.

The 500 series was based on the 904 while the 518 was 727 based.
The 518 was produced in lockup and non lockup versions but only non lockup behind the diesel.
The 618 was the next designation for both diesel and V10 applications only to indicate their increased torque capacity. Lockup only on these.

The 46/47/48 and RH/RE designations are as follows.

The first digit is the number of forward speeds.

The second digit is an arbitrary number designating it's torque capacity in that it doesn't correspond to any particular torque figure just a comparative indicator in the line of torqueflites. For example the 42 was the 904 based 500 line.

The 46 was the standard duty gas engine 727 based 518 line. These were lockup transmissions

The 47 was the earlier heavy duty version for diesel and V10 engines, also lockups.

The 48 was the latest heavy duty version for diesels, also lockups.

The R stands for a north/south installation in the vehicle (rear wheel drive in other words).

The front wheel drives were designated with an L for a longitudely (is that even a word?) mounted transaxle.

The H stood for hydraulic control of shift functions and the E for electronic.

The H and E worked for the front wheel drive transmissions as they were true electronic controlled transmissions but the R transmission simply used a pressure transducer and sensor in place of the governor and in the case of the 48RE it also used an electric motor to run the throttle valve control instead of the throttle itself.
The RE transmissions still continued to use hydraulics to control 1/2/3 shifts while all of the overdrive transmissions used solenoids to control overdrive and lockup.

Are we thoroughly confused yet?

I'm going off of memory here, those Chrysler training classes were a long time ago.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Now all this doesn't mean that the insides of a 518 are the same on gas and diesel versions because they are not. The diesel versions get more pinions in the planetaries as well as more clutches.

Also the diesel and V10 versions of the 47RH/RE are different in that the diesels get straight cut gears in the planetaries and the V10s have helical cut gears. They are quieter but a little weaker. The straight cut gears are noisy but you can't hear them in a diesel truck.

I put a straight cut planetary set in the O/D of my Dakota and yeah you could hear it inside the truck.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Fuel mileage update

Well despite losing the TPS on the way home last night so no o/d or lu for about 12 miles I got 23.1 mpg out of this tank which is a solid 3 mpg improvement. I'm still tuning on the VE so I think I can get a little better yet.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Great Info, Angry Johnny.....

although you don't sound very Angry... Should we call you "Really well versed in Chrysler Torqueflight" Johnny, from now on???

Curious....

Was it your EX-wife who deemed you "Angry" ?

My Future EX-wife (after 27 years of saying that, I guess it's all a lie) has lots of nicknames for me, but Angry is at the bottom of the list. If I tell you what they are, TOP or BC will delete them, and I'll get notified that I'm going to be banned for use of foul language....

What's you talking about, Willis ??...
Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Great Info, Angry Johnny.....

although you don't sound very Angry... Should we call you "Really well versed in Chrysler Torqueflight" Johnny, from now on???

Curious....

Was it your EX-wife who deemed you "Angry" ?

My Future EX-wife (after 27 years of saying that, I guess it's all a lie) has lots of nicknames for me, but Angry is at the bottom of the list. If I tell you what they are, TOP or BC will delete them, and I'll get notified that I'm going to be banned for use of foul language....

What's you talking about, Willis ??...
No, I'm not angry at all, in fact quite the opposite. Angry Johnny came from a song by that name from a singer named Poe after the race car was dubbed Jezebel from Hell while under construction for it's propensity to draw blood and a lot of it.

Attached Thumbnails Turn your non lockup 518 into a lockup on the cheap-392755789.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems to me the MOPAR rags said the 46 was based on the 904. But it's been a few years since I read them much. Since about the time the investors pushed prices out of reach and I lost interest.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Seems to me the MOPAR rags said the 46 was based on the 904. But it's been a few years since I read them much. Since about the time the investors pushed prices out of reach and I lost interest.
No the 42 was the 904 based, the 46 was the V8 727 based trans. I've seen people here refer to the 46 as the non lockup and that is not correct either. The 47 was strictly V10 and diesel.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
No, I'm not angry at all, in fact quite the opposite. Angry Johnny came from a song by that name from a singer named Poe after the race car was dubbed Jezebel from Hell while under construction for it's propensity to draw blood and a lot of it.

Poe - Angry Johnny [Official Music Video] - YouTube
Heh, I know that gig......... Your Dart looks very close to my Nova, except I have a centrifugal blower under the hood.

It drew just as much blood................. I just wish I had bought the cool wheels up picture rather than dumping that money back into the car......
Old 11-04-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good read,
Thanks,
Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If my A518 is working perfectly but is a slip and slide because of the torque converter - would this mod allow me to actually feel more power to the ground? Right now when you give it gas and it spools up on the highway, I see acceleration but I can tell the torque converter is soaking up a lot of my HP/TQ. Also, I'm mechanically inclined but is it recommended for a person to do this at home? Or best have a professional do the part swap? Finally, does everything stay automatic including OD engagement and kickdown?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
LOL, Yea, you will be putting ALL the power to the ground.

Since you have to buy a new converter anyway, get a good one that is slightly tighter, between that and lockup you will be amazed.

As for installation, I would combine it with a good rebuild, if you can rebuild the trans, you should be able to change it easily.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
LOL, Yea, you will be putting ALL the power to the ground.

Since you have to buy a new converter anyway, get a good one that is slightly tighter, between that and lockup you will be amazed.

As for installation, I would combine it with a good rebuild, if you can rebuild the trans, you should be able to change it easily.
Thanks so much. I've been wanting to do lockup trans for a while...but I was afraid it wouldn't be worth the effort. Seems like you say, a tighter torque converter coupled with lockup may be the ticket. I have no issues with my A-518 so I was hesitant to go the 47rh route. I guess its time to start hording parts

Quick Reply: Turn your non lockup 518 into a lockup on the cheap