1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Turbo upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo upgrade ?

Hello Everyone! Hope yall had a merry christmas! Well, my turbo died on me a couple days ago and I'm needing to replace/upgrade. Judging by the mods in my sig. do yall think I would be OK with a PDR HX40/16cm wastgated? I really wanted to go with the S300/14cm wastgated, but funds are very tight and I've found a good deal on the 40. PDR claims it spools like a 14, but flows like a 16. Any info. or experience with this turbo would be much appreciated. My overall goal with this truck is power. I plan on eventually going with bigger injectors and more pump mods. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:38 PM

I really close friend of mine had it on a 97 and it is a bit laggey. Once it lights it is great. Since you have a 16 now it will be almost the same spool time. I liked it and it will supply plenty of air for a lot more mods to come.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:00 PM

So I guess the "spools like a 14, but flows like a 16" is more like a 16 all over? I've never had a wastgated housing so I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I guess I could always buy a 14wg down the road just more money, right!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:21 PM

A WG makes no diff. I have a 12 on my 92 and a 14 on my 96 and there 16 is not even close to as fast as mine. They dont make a 14cm WG for the 40. I used an HX 35 shaft and exhaust wheel and then I could bolt a 14cmWG on my 40. The only diff in the 35 and 40 is that the 40 has a 5mm larger exhaust wheel and a 60 mm compressor wheel. almost all the other parts will interchange short of a few little modle changes ( I have done it many times so I know for a fact not just something I have heard). What happened to your turbo. mine did what you see in the pic and I had to remove the IC and head and clean everything and re lap the valve seats after I got the alumm pices off of the valves and seats. I had just put a new HG in it 3 days befor. If your turbo is re build able you can get a HTTurbo 60mm comperssor wheel and housing for yours and put a 14cm exhaust housing on it.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 PM

I guess it could be rebuildable. Not sure why I didnt consider it. What a had happened was when I put the 16cm housing on I messed up a washer or spacer or something. I guess I should probable look at it and look into what all is included in a rebuild kit. Do you know if it comes with all new internals. Its making a god awful schreeching noise and I'm getting alot of blue/white smoke. I figured it had probably worn out everything to the point of being better off replacing the unit since I need to upgrade anyways. It couldn't have happened at a worse time, ya know! Sorry that was alot of run on sentences! If you or anyone else knows how bad off the turbo has to be before considering it no good and where I can get all the rebuild stuff and upgrade components to include 14cm wastgated housing I would be most appreciative!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM

If it is making a lot of noise the blades may be hitting and now junk. here is a good rebuild kit. If the shaft and wheels are ok and not hitting the housing then you are ok. It is easy to rebuild a holset turbo. wheel nut tq is 150in-lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holse...QQcmdZViewItem

here is how to rebuild

http://www.wankel.net/~krwright/file...fo/HX35_40.pdf

PDR sells 14cm WG and non WG housings.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You have enough fuel to run the '40. Just be careful not to bark it, they run the same shaft as a '35 and the heavier turbine wheel makes it more prone to break if abused. They are good turbos if you drive carefully.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 PM

I just found out I'm getting an HX35/12 with the HX40/16 for 800 total. They both have minimal miles. It's a guy off the site I'm purchasing them from so I feel like shouldn't be any trust issues. Hopefully, everything goes smooth cause I've set up the $ transfer already. I'm gonna put the 35 on first. I believe the 35 has a 12 housing cause its stock off a '02. If I'm incorrect about that or how it will fit, please let me know! I've tried to research it off the site, but still a little unsure, ya know. Anyways, whatever info ya'll have and want to throw in I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help folks! Oh, and what exactly is turbo bark? Air cavitation?
Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM

all you will have to do to the 35 is remove 2 studs where it mounts to the manifold and drill them out like on your stock turbo. 24v used 2 studs in the turbo and 2 in the manifold and 12v used all 4 in the manifold. Other than that it will bolt right up. So you don't have any down time run the 35 and while its on then take the shaft and exhaust wheel (all one piece) out of your stock wheel and if in good shape put it in your 40 and a 12cm or 14cm off of a H1C, WH1C, or HX-35 will bolt right on and you can have a 35/40-14wg hybrid like I have and you will love it. A 14cm is great on a 40. It spools a lot quicker than a 16 but is not as restrictive as a 12. My 35/40-14cm spools just as fast as my 35-12cm as far as I can tell but has a lot more air flow. I have not noticed any real lag even when towing our work trailer vs. my 35-12cm. It is really easy to do and is well worth it + you can say that you built your own 35/40-??cm turbo. Put a rebuild kit in it while you have it apart, only 5 snap rings, trust bushing, 2shaft bushings, and oil rings ( kinda like on a piston). The hole turbo only has 24 parts.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyBTN
I just found out I'm getting an HX35/12 with the HX40/16 for 800 total. They both have minimal miles. It's a guy off the site I'm purchasing them from so I feel like shouldn't be any trust issues. Hopefully, everything goes smooth cause I've set up the $ transfer already. I'm gonna put the 35 on first. I believe the 35 has a 12 housing cause its stock off a '02. If I'm incorrect about that or how it will fit, please let me know! I've tried to research it off the site, but still a little unsure, ya know. Anyways, whatever info ya'll have and want to throw in I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help folks! Oh, and what exactly is turbo bark? Air cavitation?

If it is and 2002 HX35 then you will need to find a V band outlet for the turbo.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks again for the help yall! I feel I'm Cummins out pretty good on this deal! Just had to throw it in. I caint wait to feel how my truck runs with the new set-up! Have a Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:28 PM

Also the actuator travels form the compressor side to the turbine side or the cold to hot side.
the actuator interferes with the drain tube. You will have to modify a little or us the 2nt gen drain tube.(turbo oil drain tube)

Flash.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 PM

I forgot about the back plate on a lot of 24V the elbow and 2 bolt flange it cast inlike this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-Do...spagenameZWDVW

and the plate will have to be replaced with a early modle one with one that has a v-band flange (94-98 or so). Not all but some. I have seen turbos off of 01's with the v-band and 99's with it cast on.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 PM

Hello again. Hope everyone is doing well! I'm doing pretty fair this evening having installed my new turbo and being able to drive my truck again. I was talkn my g/f's ear off about how much I miss the truck. She feels I love my truck more than her. Anyways, Ill get on with it.

For right now I've got some 2 5/8" flex tube for an exhaust. I know, but no choice for a day or two. The tubing starts direct from the cast elbow of the turbin housing and stops half way under the cab. YES,ITS VERY LOUD!
While test driving the truck I got on it alittle (half throttle, quick) and got a very ugly sound from the turbo. I havent taken it past half throttle cause it worried me. Im still have the complete stock intake. When I removed the old turbo and took it apart the shaft was broken and much metal and oil was found. I removed the intercooler and poored 2 1/2qt. oil out. Cleaned it best I could, not internally, was in a hurry to get to work and no other ride. I guess my question is What made the horrid sound and why do I feel like it doesnt sound quite right at half throttle? I really want to see what she'll do! Also, what exhaust should I go to definately a 4" or 4-5", but should I change the cast elbow out? If so with what and I think I want some kind of muffler, but nothing to quieting. Haven't gotten EGT's above 900, but only half throttle or so. Oh, the turbo is a HX35/12wg. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
alwaysonDTR

did this ever get resolved?

Quick Reply: Turbo upgrade ?