1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Is this truck worth anything or should I walk

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this truck worth anything or should I walk

I found a 93 1 ton,ext. cab 4wd.cummins auto for sale but it needs a lot of work. The body is all rusted out at the rockers,the drivers door needs work to make it close completly,the tires are shot,the exaust is gone,the interior has cig. burns and grease all over it. the engine has a bad mis when you rev it over idel(but its smooth ideling) the trans shifts ok but the fluid is the dirtiest I have ever seen in my life. The truck has 257k on the clock. I have been out of the loop on what these trucks go for but I think I could spend 3k on this truck just in parts with me doing all the work myself. The lowest I can get him down to is $2200. With the body having rust on it I figured after I was done fixing it it would only be worth around 5k so I didnt buy it but I figured I would post on here and see what everone else has to say.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:47 PM

I would say it would be worth that with mechanically sound running gear/engine and a rusted out body. But with it not running right and really dirty tranny oil maybe $1500 as it may need an IP.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:17 PM

For comparison, I gave $3,000 for the black truck in my gallery. It is a 5-speed with the original trans and clutch in it at 260k, but they still function nearly perfect. It did not have a bed on it when I bought it. And I had to put on two new tires and an alternator, as well as a few nick naks. Got about $5k tied up in it now with the bed and other stuff, and I am happy with it. I just bought another one that I am going to post a pic of later that is real nice.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:33 PM

Thats about what I figured. I had offered him $1500 but he wouldn`t take it.I think Ill keep his number and call him in a couple months and see if its still there. But then Ill offer $1200. If it was a 5 speed I would give him the $2200 right now but it seems all I ever find is autos. I like my auto that I have now but it cost me $3500 to get it to that piont.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 PM

I have not been able to find a Junkyard running intercooled 12valve cummins MOTOR for less than 3500.00. I have found many reman cummins going anywhere from 3,800.00 to 5,000.00.

I have then checked into other 93 Dodge used CTD trucks and found even the rattiest running truck going for minimum of 4,800.00.

I have inquired on this site over the past few months several times as to what folks think these used motors are worth but nobody really responds back with any info.

curious to see what advice you get!?
Old 05-06-2006, 12:28 PM

In all honesty, for what it is, i would have bought it by now. If you break it down into this its a little easier, just for the fact it is a 1-ton 4x4 (dana60 front) extended cab, CUMMINS. Now a miss in one of these could be the IP, 600 bucks rebiult local for me, it could be an injector, oh well, PODS or EDM's would be a nice addition to a stock truck. the exhaust is no biggy either, a 4 inch system isnt that pricey. tires, while annoying, at least you'll have new ones. I fully understand the rust issue, I live in upstate NY! for the probably 3K you put into it to make it nice/decent again, she wont owe u a dime, and will be worth every last bit, Im assuming thats a dually, so that truck in "good" condition off of a dealers lot will retail for around 8 grand. Because of what it is.
I hate doing body work, any kind, unless its detailing. so if your in a position to have er repaired/re-painted, even with minor other problems that would jack the value of the truck an easy 2grand over what u paid for it, and the whole 1500 on the high side u pay for the body work, its still going to be worth more then what u have invested.

just my 2 cents hope it helps ya.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:05 PM

What would the parts be worth if I purchased this truck and parted it out. The truck is a duelly by the way.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Lets see, I'll take the bed, the interior, the axles, the front clip, use the trans as a $700 core, the rockwell made steel wheels. The mirrors, The frame.

You can't be serious about not offering this guy $2000, You must be crazy. I think I would pay $1000 for one without an engine.

I'm serious bout those parts too. Buy it for the motor and part it out, I know i'm not the onlyperson who wants parts, anypictures of this thing.

Hoaveyou check the NADA on these things lately, Nice ones are WORTH $7500. When i bout mine about a year ago they were only worth like $5500

GO BUY IT NOW
Old 05-07-2006, 01:09 PM

Yeh pm me his number I'll talk him down for ya.....
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 AM

Redlinear, the guy who parts em out on Ebay, would probably know what one of these would be worth for parts. Last time he had one on Ebay I seem to remember that he did pretty well piecing out at auction every part on the truck as he got me for the door handles and a friend for a wiring harness. I'm sure he has his "line in the sand" as far as what he'll pay for such a vehicle but in all actuality there's NONE of these things around for parts in wrecking yards or any where else for that matter, especially around here. I had a friend tell me that any time these trucks come through the door either at auction or wind up at a local wrecking yard, they go right away either to be rebuilt or used as a parts truck. There are ZERO of these trucks around setting in wrecking yards....you'd have a better chance at catching a ghost than seeing one of these with weeds growing up through it in someone's back yard too. Unless it was some of you Cummins addicts with a parts truck or so. But you could tell that type....as they'd have more than one setting there!!

My opinion?? Stand by your offer but keep your eyes open as there'll be another one coming around soon....there's just too many of these trucks that've been built for them truly to be "rare". The problem is (for would be buyers) that people LOVE their Dodge/Cummins trucks and seldom sell them and when they do, good examples command top dollar, as we all know. Good luck!! Chuck
Old 05-08-2006, 05:58 PM

i wanted a cummins and i just waited untill i found one sittin in a field out on an old farm and i picked it up for $300 and it runs awesome. just go to some small farm towns and look around.

1990 Regular Cab, long bed, 240k, auto
Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 AM

I live in about as rural an area as you can get and have searched the landscape for several years for a cummins. I have found 2 neither person would sell even though they were not using the trucks anymore. I have talked to the man again and have a tentative deal at 2k. Im going today to check it again and if I dont find anything else major wrong I will bring it home. I have not made up my mind if I will fix it or part it out. If I could find a mid 90`s chevy 1 ton I would take the engine and transplant it. I dont really need this truck I am just addicted to cummins. I originally thought I could make a few bucks and learn a lot in the process of repairing it. I still dont think it is worth what it would cost to make her nice again at least not if I try to sell it locally. I have a brother in Colorado,I think I will have him see what they go for out there if I put some new rockers on her and make her look presentable again.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 AM

go buy that thing! I saw one just like it on the highway yesterday, and im dying to find another to replace the ford with. too bad I dont have 2 grand handy
Let me know what u plan on doing cause I could use them dually fenders if you part er out.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:42 PM

Well some one else bought her a half hour before I got there with the money. He paid $2250 and I say good luck to him. I am partly relieved because I still was not convinced it was worth 2k to me. I will resume the search preferably for a stick shift . Thanks for all the info and direction.