1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck Pictures and understanding my electrical system

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Pictures and understanding my electrical system

Hi, just wanted to show you guys some pictures of the rig after she's all cleaned up.

It's lookin pretty good in my opinion. There are a couple spots where the paint is pealed down to the primer and two small rust spots, but that's nothing more paint can't fix.

Now, on to more serious topics. The previous owner of my truck was a bit of an electrician. The truck had some electrical issues when he owned it and he fixed them all in his back yard. According to him, the engine computer "stopped working".

I read a receipt for when he took it to the dealer and I guess the wait to start light came on while driving and wouldn't go out. They installed an external voltage regulator (this bypasses the alternator from the computer right?) and problem solved according to Dodge.

Somewhere along the way I guess the whole thing took a dump and the dealer didn't have to software to reflash the computer, too old they said. So he decided that he would just try and make the computer obsolete instead of replacing it. He put in manual controls for the grid heaters as well as the AC. The cruise control doesn't work because that does rely on the computer.

I think he did many little things as well, but I am quite new to this stuff and I can't tell what is stock and what he has messed with. There are many wires under the hood and more than a few rolls of electrical tape. He installed a solar panel trickle charger on the dash as well.

Normally, I wouldn't really care because it works and I'm happy with that, but the check engine light itself is worrying me. When I start the truck in the morning and it'd cold out the CEL is on. Once it heats up a little bit (just a minute or two) it goes out. Once I start driving and using the throttle it starts to come back though. If rpms go up or I put it under a load the light comes back on. Sometimes it flickers or just comes on for a second or two, and sometimes it's solid. Now from what I understand that the check engine light really just governs the electrical system, so do you think there is a ground or a short somewhere that is starting to go? Maybe a wire with current that is proportional to engine speed?

I am really unsure as to what I'm dealing with so I took a bunch of pictures under the hood and if anything looks out of the ordinary let me know.

That last picture is some wires and a plug that are hanging out underneath the windshield wiper fluid reservoir.

Lastly I took the codes from the CEL and this is what I came up with. There where a lot of them so I'm not sure if I counted perfect, I may have screwed up. These are in order of what came up.

11 No Crank Speed sensor signal during cranking
12 Battery connection disturbed within the last 50 starts
33 A/C clutch relay shorted or open
23 Air temp sensor shorted or open
41 Generator field not switching properly
55 Stop

So most of these make sense. 33 is "shorted or open" because he put a toggle switch in. 23 is open for the same reason. 41 isn't switching properly according to the computer because of the external regulator, correct? 11 and 12 puzzle me, but I'm not surprised about 12. I don't think I've started 50 times yet so there is a chance the PO was messing around with something to make it look nice for me or something like that. 11 is what I don't get. Does this mean that I can't use the factory tach harness? There is nothing on here that would lead me the root of the problem for the light while driving.

I'm fairly confused here. Any input would be great, thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 PM
9MM
Banned

The one under the windshield washer tank is the driving light controller. Mine hasn't worked since I got it and I am in no real hurry to fix it lol.

As far as I know the computer on yours since it's a stick which I keep forgetting about. Only controls the alternator which can be converted to the external regulator style like mine I'll post a pic for you to see. And it controls the cruise I think I know the abs has it's own computer your SEL is prob a result of the bad ECM I would just take the bulb out as well as that solar panel charger.

See that grey box above the turbo crossover tube with the two wires going to it and the red wire running off one of the bolts. That's the regulator,
Name:  IMG00238-20110915-1816.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  IMG00238-20110915-1816.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  43.7 KB
Old 09-27-2011, 02:24 PM

You don't like the charger? I think it's pretty cool and will help for camping when I want to play the radio with the truck off. I think it's a neat addition. I imagine I will just pull the bulb on the light, its just annoying. I'm only worried that the intermittent flashing is a bad connection that is going to get worse. I don't want to pull the light then not have the truck start the next day from a dead short
Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
9MM
Banned

Originally Posted by LPU_911
You don't like the charger? I think it's pretty cool and will help for camping when I want to play the radio with the truck off. I think it's a neat addition. I imagine I will just pull the bulb on the light, its just annoying. I'm only worried that the intermittent flashing is a bad connection that is going to get worse. I don't want to pull the light then not have the truck start the next day from a dead short
Unplug the ECM n see if it still does it.

I can see a fire on that thing one day with the way that stuff is wired.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Yeah, its got me a little concerned as well.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 PM
9MM
Banned

Sorry for double pictures didn't think it worked the first time. I agree it looks kinda sketch if I was in loops I'd help ya.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM

i was actually looking at those solar pannels yesturday for the same exact reason for when i have my sterio going but i know nothing about solar power units or how they work anyone wanna share their two cents?