1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck died - fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did notice that the factory fitting clips onto the lift pump rather easily.

Does anyone know the size of the factory fitting on the lift pump? I will get some hose tomorrow and see if that is the issue.

cheers
Doug
Old 07-05-2016, 07:02 AM

Does anyone know the size of the fitting on the lift pump? Input line. I am going to pickup some hose today. It is the standard fitting that has the factory quick clip.

Will run the test today.

cheers
Doug
Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well the napa part # for that lift pump (1407) shows the inlet thread to be 13x1.5 mm. I'd have to look at my factory quick connect that's threaded in to see what size it is, but my guess would be the 5/16 quick connect fitting?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 PM

Ok thanks again everyone - thank you diesel402004.

I have attached a picture what I did tonight. Not pretty.

I followed Oliver's instructions and guess what the truck fired up right away. I only had to crack the first injector crank a couple of seconds and it fired right up - smoothed right out after a minute or so. Start and stop just fine.

I did an inspection of my current fuel line and it looks excellent. This is a CA truck it has zero rust. I felt the top of the tank and it is very dry. All the fuel line equipment is stock.

Should I start by replacing that quick clip fuel connector? Not sure what to do next.

Thanks again everyone.

cheers
Doug

I had some help - someone was holding the gas can.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
The nylon line itself is some tough stuff, in all the rusted out trucks I have seen the only trouble I have had is when something gets added in the frame rail and rubs a whole in the fuel line. The line itself I haven't seen fail. Their are seals in the connection ends of the line or the clips themselves is what I would look ad first.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by DoodleBee
Ok thanks again everyone - thank you diesel402004.

I have attached a picture what I did tonight. Not pretty.

I followed Oliver's instructions and guess what the truck fired up right away. I only had to crack the first injector crank a couple of seconds and it fired right up - smoothed right out after a minute or so. Start and stop just fine.

I did an inspection of my current fuel line and it looks excellent. This is a CA truck it has zero rust. I felt the top of the tank and it is very dry. All the fuel line equipment is stock.

Should I start by replacing that quick clip fuel connector? Not sure what to do next.

Thanks again everyone.

cheers
Doug

I had some help - someone was holding the gas can.
Glad that trick worked to get it running correctly again.
I agree with deere country, the factory fuel lines are pretty good quality.
I X2 checking the clip ends.
The lines will be dry as it is under vacuum when the truck is running and will not leak fuel at the site of the air leak.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:16 AM

Ah that was my next question about seeing the actually leak location. When I get home tonight will inspect the clip ends more closely. Makes sense about the vacuum.

I did some checking but can I still purchase new clip ends? Or am I stuck using rubber hose and joining them?

Thanks again everyone.

cheers
Doug
Old 07-07-2016, 12:20 PM

Just wanted to confirm - the plastic fuel line (stock) is 5/16.

Is this correct?

cheers
Doug
Old 07-08-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Yes, IIRC the feed line is 5/16 and the return is 1/14 inch.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:20 PM

Just a short update - (totally hammered at work).

I did a short inspection of the fuel lines and they look ok. I replaced the plastic clip that connects the plastic fuel line to the lift pump. I will say working with those plastic lines and fittings are a PITA. I did not replace the plastic fitting that connections the line to the top of the tank.

I had to bleed the system - but once I got it started I drove it around for about 10 maybe 15 minutes and the truck did the slow die again.

So this time I just attached the diesel can and rubber hose to the lift pump and drove it home.

Today - I tried to put some air into the tank and look for leaks. Question on this procedure - I lowered the PSI to about 5 pounds. The tank is 3/4 full of fuel. How long should I let this run? I had it running about 5 minutes and I did not notice anything. The fitting on the top of the tank was nice and dry.

The fitting size that connects to the lift pump is 3/8 metal to 5/16 plastic, and a 90 degree bend. Not sure what the size is for the top of the fuel tank.

If the return line has a hole I would assume it would cause the same problem? I have been focusing on the feed line.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

cheers
Doug
Old 07-30-2016, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
Have you tried pressurizing the fuel tank to find the leak? I could not find a supply side lead after a few days of trying, so I stuck an air hose in the fill neck, stuffed a few rags around it to kind of seal it and found my leak in 2 minutes. It was a bad, new lift pump...Mark
Old 07-30-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
It's also possible to be sucking air due to a defect in the pickup line inside the fuel tank.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
It's also possible to be sucking air due to a defect in the pickup line inside the fuel tank.
Maybe so, but at least pressurizing the tank would eliminate everything else, proving that it is in the tank by process of elimination...Mark
Old 07-31-2016, 04:19 PM

Thanks again everyone - will try and check today - between the rain and working in the apiary this weekend I have not had much time.

Will put some pressure in the tank and check both lines. I have only been focusing on the feed line.

cheers
Doug
Old 08-06-2016, 07:47 PM

Ok I was finally able to work on the truck today.

I was able to pressurize the tank. I could not find any leaks. I did remove the connection to the lift pump and fuel did flow freely while under pressure.

So I assume the next step is to remove the tank/bed and check the pickup line inside the tank?

Is there anything else I should check before this option? My truck has zero rust so pulling the bed or tank does not really matter. I would have to drain the tank it is almost 3/4 full.

I also have the dealer installed transmission cooler under the bed to deal with if I in fact end up removing the bed.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

cheers
Doug

Quick Reply: Truck died - fuel issues