1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

time for lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for lift

k 1st geners... i'm kinda new here, my body is off my truck and the frame is going to be blasted and painted soon... as soon as i put my lift in... which leads me to my question... Obvious skyjacker is the way to go from the post i've read, i want a 6" but might seddle for a 4" but i want to throw the blocks away, is that a good idea? Another question, i'm from southern ontario.. and the two main off road shops that are within reasonable drivin distance both screwed me around before, so if i where to go to michigan area, can someone please tell me a good place to deal with that offers a good deal please? And also lookin for a dual shock + dual stabilizers for this truck (1992 cummins 4x4) Not cause i feel i like i need them but because they look good, and probably would have to give a better ride. Any and all input to my needs are greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance... CHEERS
Old 12-10-2007, 06:34 PM

no-one has any info well thats handy!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM

Step into my lair...
Skyjacker part #'s
Their 4" lift specifically for the Cummins trucks #D400DCAK
consists of front springs and rear add a leafs, comes with u-bolts, and spring center bolts and spring bushings.
You'll need 1 #DL10 adjustable drag link
Also spring for the front and rear brake hoses- one of each- FBL60 & RBL60
1 #7220 dual steering stabilizer kit-white
1 #DS350 dual front shock kit
4 #H7041 front shocks
1 #DS360 rear dual shock kit
4 #H7079 rear shocks
A nice addition to this would be the 1" longer front shackles and a rear shackle flip for the rear.
Also count on replacing the front spring shackle pivot bushings (in the frame) theyre usuall gone with the big "C" between the frame.
You may have to slightly grind the front c/v shaft for extreme use off road if you go with the 1" shackles. The springs really flex nice for off- the- shelf parts. Just be ready to wait a little while, all this stuff will probablly have to come from the factory in LA.
If you must throw the blocks away, you can use their 6" rear spring(which is designed to use the factory 150's 3" block underneath on the 8" system), but you wont be able to tow heavy, they are not rated for that. They ride nice, though.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 PM

Skyjacker does make the best lifts that Ive seen for these trucks,as for getting rid of your blocks thats really a personal pref. thing ,you will retain more of your factory ride with blocks as oppossed to new springs,however if you are concerned about axle rap,or something like that springs might be the way to go.I had a 6" lift on my 01 SD 4 door with blocks running 38" Swamper radials and never had any issues.As for the dual stabalizers,I ordered a dual opposing kit for my 91 (it too is skyjacker )and it made a difference.Oh yeah ,and the duals do have a high CDI factor.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 PM

go with the 6, you like it alot and ditching the blocks is a good idea, check on ebay the have them for pretty cheap
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Call Custom Truck Parts in Surrey, BC and ask for jeff, that's where I got all my skyjacker stuff from and it was all in stock. Also, go with new rear springs instead of add a leafs or blocks, I wish I had. Shipping to ON might cost a bit but shouldn't be too bad as long as it goes ground not express

CTP Toll-Free: 1-800-663-5356

Here's my dual stabilizers, X-over steering is also a good upgrade...
Attached Thumbnails time for lift-pb081266.jpg  
Old 12-11-2007, 01:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Most trucks with multiple shocks have all but one of them drilled out and drained on each corner. Its not a functional upgrade, just for looks.

I have the 6" rear springs with the origional blocks still in the rear. Best way to kill axle wrap is with some traction bars.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM

hey guys thanks for all the info, would the truck look a little weird if i was to put the 6"springs in the rear without the blocks and the 4" springs up front or should i go with the 6 and 6 lift. You mentioned trac bars i was lookin at some pictures but could not find any "good" looking one for our style of truck, i really like the 94 and up style of trac bar tuff country has advertised for those trucks. I like the thick style. By the way i wont be off roadin this truck when i finished with it, but it may get hooked up to a sled.. or two lol.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 PM

i would go 6 and 6, and why dont u make a set of custom traction bars that way u can make them how u want them
Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM

well i would but not sure how there connected to the axle/frame, or how long the should be/ what angel they should be at etc... With 6" lift all around, what size of a tire would i beable to run, keep in mind there wont be any off-roading, i was hoping 36" what you all think
Old 12-12-2007, 07:01 PM

36" tires will be tight, depends alot on your wheel backspacing. 35"s will be happier. I have two Dodge trucks 77RC with 38's w/ 8" springs in front and 6" spring w/a 5" block (for mock-up) just to level the truck. My step side 77 has 35's w/a 4" spring up front and a 6" in back with almost zero rake, no blocks. 35's are too big unless you cut/stretch the front fenders.( or just wait, it'll do it for you)LoL.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM

with a 6 inch sky jacker you can clear up to a 38 with the right backspacing, i did it on my truck, a 35 clears with alot of clearance, ill attach a pic of my truck with a 6 inch lift and 35's and my cousins truck with a 4 inch lift and 35's mine is on the right
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 PM

another pic of the my truck with a 6 inch and 35's
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Chapter President

Sweet ride SMOKE' EM! Do you have any flexing pics of your rig?

Does anybody make a 4" or 6" spring rated for towing/hauling?

As for the dual shock idea, I have never heard of having one drilled. I thought the idea of dual shocks was to allow for more dampening of a heavier truck.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 PM

i dont having any pics of it flexing but she does flex really really well and the good thing about only running 35's is the tires do not rub at all under full flex of the truck

Quick Reply: time for lift