1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Sudden dangerous braking pull.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Sudden dangerous braking pull.

So my buddy and I were coming home after dropping off a bridgeport mill with a JLG drop deck trailer. Towed out there just dandy but coming back she generated a dangerous pull to the left (lane switching variety).

A little back story is I recently did rotors, pads and repacked the bearings. I also bleed out the rear and adjusted the drums and had a lovely firm pedal.

So i get her home, drop the trailer and head to the parts store. I figure the calipers or brake hoses are causing the issue. Replaced those, bleed, bleed, bleed. Take her out for a spin (still a lovely firm pedal) and the **** thing still likes to switch lanes with the brake pedal. Left rotor feels warmer than the right so I am assuming it is still in the brake system. I did not replace the center or hard lines FYI.

Im at a loss since it just came out of the blue. No lead up or nothing, just BAMN, welcome to the next lane to the left...

Any Suggestions? This is also a stock 1992 w250, not my old green one.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:50 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Do you have a laser temp gun or what ever you call those things? I find them handy to isolate the hot spots or at least see if it is the hub or the rotor etc. But since it happens only at braking I should think it is somewhere in that system and not bearings etc.

Hard line not pinched or bent? Does it correct itself when you let your foot off the pedal or does it still pull? Something on the disc that is making it grab?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Check the steering gear mounting plate for cracks. Loose suspension parts too.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Do you have a laser temp gun or what ever you call those things? I find them handy to isolate the hot spots or at least see if it is the hub or the rotor etc. But since it happens only at braking I should think it is somewhere in that system and not bearings etc.

Hard line not pinched or bent? Does it correct itself when you let your foot off the pedal or does it still pull? Something on the disc that is making it grab?
She goes back straight after letting off the pedal. I question the hard line but its strange that it just randomly started. Ive had plenty of cracked steering plates, definitely not it (and I inspected).
Old 02-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
rear axle leaking oil/contaminated lining?
Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM

I’ll look but it’s a pull that yanks the steering wheel. Thoughts on a king pin bushing? The one in there is split.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
front brake not installed properly
Old 02-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by johnh
front brake not installed properly
Same issue before and after caliper replacement. Also this started out of the blue...
Old 02-11-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MikeThomas
I’ll look but it’s a pull that yanks the steering wheel. Thoughts on a king pin bushing? The one in there is split.
Grooved or split ?

New, they have grooves on them, but split (meaning broken) is not a good thing. Quick and easy fix, though.
Attached Thumbnails Sudden dangerous braking pull.-kp.jpg  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I sure wish I had a 4x4 with all that extra stuff to maintain.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Drivers side bushing was split as it should be but worn and deformed...Also not the problem. Replaced both as they were cheap and figure it would not hurt.

Replaced the passenger hardline with some creative bending, finally using the flaring tool from the bottom of the junk drawer. Bled, chased a leak and drove down the road. Step on the breaks and the **** thing pulled again, though not quite as violent. A little grumpy I tear through the neighborhood gassing and braking hard. Notice the pull diminishing. Keep doing it down a couple of grades and boom, started stoping straight and hard. I will say the brakes got rather toasty during the process but something happened for sure. Brakes are frighteningly strong now. Open to speculation, possibly poor quality brake pads seating? No clue but I'm going to put a couple miles on her tomorrow and drop off the trailer, bleed it one more time and then call it good... What a way to ruin a nice weekend.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the front U joints. I had the same thing happen
Old 02-12-2018, 05:06 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
You mean the axle u-joint?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
You mean the axle u-joint?
I'm sure he meant that, yes.

One of my front axle joints froze up on one axis, and whenever I made a turn, the truck refused to return to a straight driving direction. Hubs locked or,not

Not sure if the axle joint being bad would cause a hard pull, as its not being tweaked driving straight.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I meant the Axel U-joints. Just like NJTman stated the joint would seize up when turning and pull to the side and scare the crap out of you.

Quick Reply: Sudden dangerous braking pull.