1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stock paint durability

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock paint durability

Afternoon all,
We all know about the thin paint, but still wondering if anyone has had any luck prolonging the life. I use a combo of waxes etc. and it seems to help, but am still amazed how a little rock chip delams the gelcoat and starts the process. On my other rig, I had it almost from new and had better luck prolonging it (even though it was red (the most susceptible to fade)). With my latest, I'm suspecting it hasn't seen protective coatings until now.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy

I realize this isn't helpful but my answer is "no."

My dad purchased my truck new and it was always kept in a carport. Didn't matter. The OEM paint on the roof of the cab (Light Champagne, i.e., tan) finally became so thin I got some surface rust. I simply had to have the cab roof repainted. It wasn't cheap but there was one small benefit -- the body shop also replaced all the caulking in the rain gutters and the chemical engineers are making much better caulking than was available in 1993.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM

lol . Did you guys ever use paint protectors (besides the carport). I did have the top reshot and was glad for the new caulking
Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel402004
Afternoon all,
We all know about the thin paint, but still wondering if anyone has had any luck prolonging the life. I use a combo of waxes etc. and it seems to help, but am still amazed how a little rock chip delams the gelcoat and starts the process. On my other rig, I had it almost from new and had better luck prolonging it (even though it was red (the most susceptible to fade)). With my latest, I'm suspecting it hasn't seen protective coatings until now.

I'm another voice of negative news......

it's actually not the OEM paint that is the issue.... it's the primer from what I understand. I know a body guy who said that the paint was peeling because of the "cheaping out, or cost cutting process" of saving pennies per vehicle in the primer and prep time for painting. He called it "uniprime"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...peeled%20paint

"Chrysler suffered extensive quality problems throughout the 1980s and 90s, the most notorious being the switchover to low-quality "uniprime" 2-coat paint in 1985, which peeled off in sheets."

Turns out the courts thought the same thing as it was discovered that our trucks, along with other chrysler brilliant ideas, were "skimped" upon when they did the priming / protection process.

http://openjurist.org/261/f3d/927/ur...er-corporation

This appeal involves three state-law class actions against Chrysler. The complaints in all three actions alleged that Chrysler used a finishing process known as "electrocoat" (marketed under various trade names, including "Uniprime," "HBEC," and "Ecoat") to paint vehicles it manufactured between 1986 and 1997. Plaintiffs alleged that the electrocoat process produced a poor bond between the primer and the exterior paint on the vehicles, and that the exterior paint is prone to peel off, especially after prolonged exposure to ultra-violet light. They further alleged that Chrysler knew about the problem, but neither disclosed the defect to its customers nor properly honored warranty claims. All three of the complaints alleged causes of action for breach of express warranty, violation of California's Song Beverly Warranty Act, and unfair competition and business practices. Two of the complaints also alleged a cause of action for breach of contract.

This is the reason why our trucks all rot out, as the primer didn't do it's job, the paint peeled, body cavities rotted from within, even peeled paint off of the frames, and allowed the frames to rot out, prematurely forwarding the trucks into the boneyards graves
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I'm another voice of negative news......

it's actually not the OEM paint that is the issue.... it's the primer from what I understand. I know a body guy who said that the paint was peeling because of the "cheaping out, or cost cutting process" of saving pennies per vehicle in the primer and prep time for painting. He called it "uniprime"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...peeled%20paint

"Chrysler suffered extensive quality problems throughout the 1980s and 90s, the most notorious being the switchover to low-quality "uniprime" 2-coat paint in 1985, which peeled off in sheets."

Turns out the courts thought the same thing as it was discovered that our trucks, along with other chrysler brilliant ideas, were "skimped" upon when they did the priming / protection process.

http://openjurist.org/261/f3d/927/ur...er-corporation

This appeal involves three state-law class actions against Chrysler. The complaints in all three actions alleged that Chrysler used a finishing process known as "electrocoat" (marketed under various trade names, including "Uniprime," "HBEC," and "Ecoat") to paint vehicles it manufactured between 1986 and 1997. Plaintiffs alleged that the electrocoat process produced a poor bond between the primer and the exterior paint on the vehicles, and that the exterior paint is prone to peel off, especially after prolonged exposure to ultra-violet light. They further alleged that Chrysler knew about the problem, but neither disclosed the defect to its customers nor properly honored warranty claims. All three of the complaints alleged causes of action for breach of express warranty, violation of California's Song Beverly Warranty Act, and unfair competition and business practices. Two of the complaints also alleged a cause of action for breach of contract.

This is the reason why our trucks all rot out, as the primer didn't do it's job, the paint peeled, body cavities rotted from within, even peeled paint off of the frames, and allowed the frames to rot out, prematurely forwarding the trucks into the boneyards graves
Interesting info NJTman. Maybe it's because I'm not in the rust belt, but my 20 yr old rig (this month) isn't rotting out beneath me, just minor paint chips. I remember my first rig (a 68 ford I was driving in 78) was so rotted the cab was falling off and I could see the road beneath my feet, so, by comparison, my older rig is doing just fine. Will keep waxing until I decide to go for the complete repaint...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel402004
Interesting info NJTman. Maybe it's because I'm not in the rust belt, but my 20 yr old rig (this month) isn't rotting out beneath me, just minor paint chips. I remember my first rig (a 68 ford I was driving in 78) was so rotted the cab was falling off and I could see the road beneath my feet, so, by comparison, my older rig is doing just fine. Will keep waxing until I decide to go for the complete repaint...
Yup... Rust belt means much more.... but OTOH,

I bought my truck from a guy from Washington State where no salt is ever used on the roads. The truck wasn't rotted out at all, but the paint on the frame was flaking off like a breakfast cereal. the primer was separating from the steel. I guess Chrysler liked "paint flakes" for breakfast.

If I had just ignored this, my truck would be rusting away beneath me right now....
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
My truck is loaded with poke-a-dots. I cant afford a real paint job so every rock chip I find or rust spot, I remove the damage and paint it with what ever good black rattle can primer and paint I have to at least protect the metal.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Njt man nailed it right on the head. Our paint problems are caused by the primer. The top coats do not attach to the crappy primer. This is why its so important when re painting that you need to go down to BARE METAL! Basically have to start over from scratch. I suggest soda or media blast when doing this. Kinda pricey but does an excellent job.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up bryson711. That explains why I've never had a problem with rust on all the spots that have shown up on both rigs over the years (not being in rust belt helps too). I did notice the "Flakes" on my frame where the frame paint peeled off (on my latest rig (93 in sig)), but, like my last rig, I don't think it's going to get worse because it's so dry out here, so just going to leave it.

-D