1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Gear Retrofit in my 92

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you use arms on top of both steering knuckles and the passenger side one has two holes, one for the drag link and one for the steering tie rod link?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
just one new one on the top passenger side. the steering box mounts in the stock two wheel drive position{ all first gen frames have them} these are the frame braces that I like.
http://ramchargercentral.com/jungles...rame-supports/

And here is a good thread with lots of info.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cross+steering

and one parts supplier
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog...0crossover.htm
Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Why are we still discussing stop gap fixes to crossover steering on the rev rotation steering sticky thread?
Agreed...

Originally Posted by NJTman
ISSUES FOUND:

Next was the steering pressure hose and return hose. Since the OE pressure hose is formed for a different orientation to the gear housing, you either have to modify the pressure hose, or make some changes to an SAE fitting on pump and gear. Either way works, as explained below.

BobVA and Papecat changed their pump innards to accommodate a Dodge hose from an older truck, but I decided to modifiy the OE hose, and keep the pump and housing metric.

You can keep both gear and pump metric, as I did, and modify the OE hose, or you can change the inner spring / pump guts to a SAE pump and use a stock pressure hose out of a 72-77 dodge. I don't know which one works, but I'm sure you can contact them and find out. You will have to remember to get a matching SAE gear housing so that the older truck hose works with both the pump and gear. Your choice on how to deal with the hose, but remember to match the gear / pump together so that the hose fits either way.
For those who have done this conversion, is there a consensus of opinion as to whether it is better to go with the metric or the SAE hose?

Will the stock (SAE) hose out of 1977 truck fit as a plug-and-play and therefore obviate the need for tube bending that T-Man ran into?

TIA.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by james1
For those who have done this conversion, is there a consensus of opinion as to whether it is better to go with the metric or the SAE hose?

Will the stock (SAE) hose out of 1977 truck fit as a plug-and-play and therefore obviate the need for tube bending that T-Man ran into?

TIA.
You can make the pump into SAE, by removing the fitting at the back and installing the proper fitting from an older truck. This will allow you to use a stock formed pressure hose, as the gear would have the same SAE fitting, if simply rebuilt. This is, by far, the easiest way to go about this.

I had Chip at Powersteering.com change the gear input to metric, so I could use my existing pump, and not have to look for a new fitting.

This issue, however, can be a problem if you were broken down somewhere, and needed a new hose. You could simply go buy a "1972 dodge truck hose", and bolt it in. You would, have to check the orientation, as there were a couple different versions, just to make sure you 're getting the right hose, but at least the ends would bolt right in.

I did not do this, but have no regrets otherwise. I figured that my new hose should last quite a while, so what would I be worrying about ?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Smile

You can make the pump into SAE, by removing the fitting at the back and installing the proper fitting from an older truck. This will allow you to use a stock formed pressure hose, as the gear would have the same SAE fitting, if simply rebuilt. This is, by far, the easiest way to go about this.

I had Chip at Powersteering.com change the gear input to metric, so I could use my existing pump, and not have to look for a new fitting.

This issue, however, can be a problem if you were broken down somewhere, and needed a new hose. You could simply go buy a "1972 dodge truck hose", and bolt it in. You would, have to check the orientation, as there were a couple different versions, just to make sure you 're getting the right hose, but at least the ends would bolt right in.
Tee:

Thanks; this is the info I was seeking. I spoke to Chip last week and am now sending him my boneyard reverse rotation box as well as my OEM power steering pump. (I'm currently running a Delco reman pump but I didn't turn in a core so I still have my OEM unit .) The plan is to have Chip change the pump plumbing to SAE threads when he rebuilds it.

I appreciate all the legwork you've done on this. I speak to Mysteryman (former Chrysler engineer) on occasion and this is probably the mod he most recommends for a 4WD First Gen truck. I'm attempting to find some sleeves that will enable me to use 1/2" bolts in the 9/16" frame holes so I don't have to drill out the cast iron bracket. Other than that and the SAE threads, I'm following your instructions to the letter! Thanks again.

Jim
Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 AM

It is a bolt on using the older fitting. where it gets a bit harder is if you have a hydroboost. You have to get a little more creative with the hoses on a HB and RR set up.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:44 AM

Jim let me know if you didn't receive my response to your PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Tee:

Thanks; this is the info I was seeking. I spoke to Chip last week and am now sending him my boneyard reverse rotation box as well as my OEM power steering pump. (I'm currently running a Delco reman pump but I didn't turn in a core so I still have my OEM unit .) The plan is to have Chip change the pump plumbing to SAE threads when he rebuilds it.

I appreciate all the legwork you've done on this. I speak to Mysteryman (former Chrysler engineer) on occasion and this is probably the mod he most recommends for a 4WD First Gen truck. I'm attempting to find some sleeves that will enable me to use 1/2" bolts in the 9/16" frame holes so I don't have to drill out the cast iron bracket. Other than that and the SAE threads, I'm following your instructions to the letter! Thanks again.

Jim
it's " T. "

not Tee, or Tea, or Tee hee, hee...

I drilled out the cast iron bracket, and that was several years ago. No issues whatsoever. Just make sure to put some sort of rust preventative in there (paint or neverseize ) so that it doesn't rust out where the holes were drilled.

Good luck

Take lots of pics

Post your pics

Have fun doing it !
Old 10-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Jim let me know if you didn't receive my response to your PM.
It takes Jim a while to see PM's. I sent him one a while back, and it took him nearly a year to respond.

You know how those old folks are...

Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 AM

it's " T. "

I drilled out the cast iron bracket, and that was several years ago. No issues whatsoever. Just make sure to put some sort of rust preventative in there (paint or neverseize ) so that it doesn't rust out where the holes were drilled.

Good luck

Take lots of pics

Post your pics

Have fun doing it !
TeeHee, I for got about the bigger holes.Mine were the right size as it was D250.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts

HEY I resemble that!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Question

it's " T. "

Got it. Doesn't matter how it's spelled on the phone, and Chip remembers you quite well -- you've chatted with him enough that he knows you love puppies! I kind of like "Tea" actually -- Earl Grey perhaps?

Fortunately, this is less of an problem here in Georgia than you deal with in New Jersey.

It takes Jim a while to see PM's. I sent him one a while back, and it took him nearly a year to respond.

Just lemme know when your age catches up with mine . "Getting old ain't for wimps..."

Originally Posted by mknittle
TeeHee, I forgot about the bigger holes. Mine were the right size as it was D250.
Interesting. Does this mean the cast iron bracket on an old mid-1970s W100 has mounting holes smaller than those on a W200/W300?

And while I busy pestering everyone, I have one more question -- are new Pitman Arms to fit the Reverse Rotation steering gear still available? Preferably Moog brand?

TIA
Old 10-28-2015, 02:26 PM

Got it. Doesn't matter how it's spelled on the phone, and Chip remembers you quite well -- you've chatted with him enough that he knows you love puppies! I kind of like "Tea" actually -- Earl Grey perhaps?
Chips a Hoot.

Love Bs-ing with him.... He has 3 dachshunds, and I send him toy squirrels from time to tome. The dogs HATE Squirrels, so they have a blast killing them, fake squirrels.

Just lemme know when your age catches up with mine . "Getting old ain't for wimps..."
Pain all the time tells me I'm on my way....
And while I busy pestering everyone, I have one more question -- are new Pitman Arms to fit the Reverse Rotation steering gear still available? Preferably Moog brand?

TIA
NLA. I had to Bribe Papecat to scrounge one out of a junkyard for me in Cali. Since it has no "wearable" parts, no one manufactures it, as far as I know. Maybe one of those specialty places makes it out of billet, but last I checked it was not an aftermarket part.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:49 PM

Fortunately, this is less of an problem here in Georgia than you deal with in New Jersey.

Interesting. Does this mean the cast iron bracket on an old mid-1970s W100 has mounting holes smaller than those on a W200/W300?

TIA
No the holes in all the RR brackets are the same it's the holes in tha first gen W250s that are bigger.the bracket needs to be drilled out a little bigger.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
NLA. I had to Bribe Papecat to scrounge one out of a junkyard for me in Cali. Since it has no "wearable" parts, no one manufactures it, as far as I know. Maybe one of those specialty places makes it out of billet, but last I checked it was not an aftermarket part.
YEah, and I just had another DTR member con me out of my very last arm last week. Guess I gotta keep on the lookout. (I currently have (0) 4x4 dodge pickups though)

Quick Reply: Steering Gear Retrofit in my 92