1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering column play

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering column play

Previously I asked for help with non-canceling turn signals. It looks like the clock spring was to blame. Thanks guys.
More importantly is the side to side play in the steering wheel. Once the steering wheel is off and the clock spring removed, I can grab the splined stub where the steering wheel nut screws on and move it side to side. It feels like a bad bushing/bearing or something. I couldn't remove the ignition or turn signal clusters because of those fancy little security screws so it looks like a trip to the auto store is in order for a star driver with the little pimple in the center. But in looking at this thing, can I even get into the column from up here? Is there a servicable bearing in there? It looks like it is all enclosed in a steel column.
What is my next step? By the way, the steering itself is tight, it is just the shaft that is loose in the head of the steering column.

Rocky

'93 D250, mostly stock.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A junkyard colum is the simplest solution, IMO. Mine's the same way...the bearing closest to the steering wheel locks up every here and there...usually at 65 as I enter a curve....talk about pucker factor!