1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering Box questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering Box questions.

Are there any differences between a box off an 89 vs. a 93? I got a box from an fellow member here from his 89 to replace my worn and loose box. I did not take any exact measurements of the two before i put the one from the 89 on because to me they looked the same sitting on the bench. I currently have the box from the 89 on my truck and some how the connection at the rag joint is off by about 3/4" on the one side. This is causing the steering to bind at one spot while turning the wheel.

Any thoughts as to what i might of messed up while swapping the boxes? to me it just seemed like it i needed unbolt the old and bolt the new back up. I took the plate off the frame and pulled the box and plate out together then swapped the boxes.

Here is the connections at the rag joint (without the rag joint to show the offset) with just the bolts in to hold it in place.
Name:  IMG_0342.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  84.6 KB
Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Napa lists the same Part number for them both.

Are the mounting holes slotted at all? Maybe loosen it up and try pushing it back.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wds and 4wds use the same box. Also, it should be the same box from 81-93. I've never seen a connection like that before. Where is the rubber issolator that should be there?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Napa lists the same Part number for them both.

Are the mounting holes slotted at all? Maybe loosen it up and try pushing it back.
there is no room for adjustment on any of the bolt holes. It had to be right on for the bolts to go though.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by RAMMAN4
2wds and 4wds use the same box. Also, it should be the same box from 81-93. I've never seen a connection like that before. Where is the rubber issolator that should be there?
i have it out just to show the gap.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Chapter President

well if it is the same box from 81-93 then i guess something somehow got bent. The steering was smooth before the swap and i did not notice the gap before but i really was not looking for anything really either. There are no cracks in the frame or plate.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
the rubber bushing thingy should take up that extra space no?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Flaming river or borgeson would be nice upgrade and the solid double d shaft slides insde the hollow one by design and would take care of that gap nicely.

Last edited by rainfade; 07-11-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: can't seem to type today
Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by rainfade
Flaming river or borgeson would be nice upgrade and the solid double d shaft slides insde the hollow one by design and would take care of that gap nicely.
I have a borgenson shaft with the single universal. What do you mean by the shafts sliding in one another?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Chapter President

Would anyone be willing to take a measurement for me? I need to know the distance from the center of the steering box input shaft to the frame. Mine is at 4 3/4".
Old 07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Chapter President

He is the gap with the steering shaft bolted to the steering column flange. From center to center it is about 7/8" off to the right and low.

I am stumped, i took measurements (rough measurements with the box still mounted to the truck) from both boxes and they are the same and everything is good and tight at the box, bracket and frame. All the bolts holding the steering column in place are still good and tight. The shaft coming from the column is not bent and neither is the steering shaft.

Name:  IMG_0346.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  126.8 KB
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Chapter President

I talked to a Tech at borgeson today and he said he never heard of the steering shaft and column not aligning exactly. Why must i always be the first. He suggested i cut off the rag joint end of my shaft and add a universal. This is becoming an expensive steering box.

I really wish i knew why they were not lined up correctly.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by archer39
Are there any differences between a box off an 89 vs. a 93? I got a box from an fellow member here from his 89 to replace my worn and loose box. I did not take any exact measurements of the two before i put the one from the 89 on because to me they looked the same sitting on the bench. I currently have the box from the 89 on my truck and some how the connection at the rag joint is off by about 3/4" on the one side. This is causing the steering to bind at one spot while turning the wheel.

Any thoughts as to what i might of messed up while swapping the boxes? to me it just seemed like it i needed unbolt the old and bolt the new back up. I took the plate off the frame and pulled the box and plate out together then swapped the boxes.

Here is the connections at the rag joint (without the rag joint to show the offset) with just the bolts in to hold it in place.
The two flanges in the picture need to be at right angles to each other. there should be no metal to metal connection. The complete joint has 4 bolts not two. The rag acts as a vibration dampner as well as a u-joint. Here are a couple of pics of differnt ones I used on my ramcharger. The write-up is here...http://cumminsramcharger.blogspot.co...&max-results=7

Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
So with the rag joint in place you still can't get the shaft to line up? You do have all the proper bolts and metal retainers to properly mount the rag joint? Your two solid ends of the steering shafts should be opposite each other when howwed through the rag joint.

I recently did the steering box on my crew, 2wd, and had no problems, other then a bit of a fight to get the rag joint, steering shaft and bolts all lined up and bolted down.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM

Loosen the steering column bolts on the firewall and below the column. Align the column to the box, install your shaft with whatever joint you choose. Go out and enjoy your truck.

Ed

"Some people enjoy the rain, others just get wet."- Roger Miller

Quick Reply: Steering Box questions.