1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Starter no start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Starter no start.

I drove through McDonald's the other night and shut it down so she could take my order, when I went to start it back up,, nothing the only click was from the relay on the fender, nothing from the starter solenoid so I paralleled 2 more batteries and still nothing, luckily there was nobody behind me so I opened the hood and gave the starter the old tap with a hammer and it started right up, so I went I home, after I was done eating I went out and checked the starter, the solenoid coil was drawing 11.04 amps and the starter motor was 342 amps so then I removed the starter, and after seeing what was inside not expecting to find anything I could fix tonight I decided to take it into the shop and have it rebuilt.

So on Tuesday on the way to my daughters horseback riding lessons I dropper it off at Pro Auto Electric, he said I could have it back in about an hour but I was not going to be home.

This is how I know I am going to get back my starter when it is rebuilt.

Name:  IMG_3762_zps7e0e3860.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  50.0 KB

The plunger was getting sticky.

Name:  IMG_3755_zps890ae361.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  71.7 KB

I probably could have got by with just cleaning, grease and replace the contacts but..

Name:  IMG_3753_zpsaf7f974a.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  74.6 KB

My truck license number is also on the starter.

Name:  IMG_3764_zps97e152fb.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  49.3 KB

So he called me about 3:00 and said it was ready but said it needed a few parts, said it was work out, said whaat?,

He said the armature was bad, the commutator was chewed up and should not be cut down so he used a good tested one from another starter and cleaned it up on the lathe, so I went down and picked it up, this entire adventure cost me $130.00

Ready to be installed.

Name:  IMG_3880_zpsb2aaf800.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  66.2 KB

The only possible indication that it was failing was for the last few days the starter did not feel as strong as it usually is but I passed that off as my battery being a bit low because of my new dash cam that is always on.

Tonight after dinner I installed the starter and reconnected all of the cables, the truck is back to starting well within the first revolution.

Today I am going to Cummins Pacific in Irvine and I am going to buy all of the front and side cover gaskets so I can attack some annoying oil leaks.

I also have my lower water inlet and new Sanden SD-709 compressor for my conversion I will be starting on soon.

Somehow my truck must have found out I had some extra cash and wanted me to spend it on her.

Jim

Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Somehow my truck must have found out I had some extra cash and wanted me to spend it on her.
Like any good dog it's not about the money, they just want the attention.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
HAHAHAHA!!! Never heard it so well put!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Did you make sure to show him the markings on the starter....or did he figure that out himself.

With the cost of new starters, and their somewhat suspect reliability, you are way better off having your OEM unit serviced and repaired.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
How do you know my dog?

I have a Siberia Husky and she is very needy and clingy and always wants a lot of attention, she got this way after she was very sick, actually with my daughter I am surrounded by females, my truck must be jealous that I hadn't spent enough time under the hood.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Did you make sure to show him the markings on the starter....or did he figure that out himself.

With the cost of new starters, and their somewhat suspect reliability, you are way better off having your OEM unit serviced and repaired.
Not really sure if he ever figured it out or not, but I like to mark things that are mine, like if it ever got stolen I could identify it so many different ways, kind of like a Porsche with the matching serial number on the cigarette lighter.

I am not really overly impressed with the denso starter my experiences are with Prestolite and various Delco M-39 series, the real heavyweight.

Yesterday I picked up over $100.00 in gaskets and seals from Cummins Pacific to stop a few oil leaks that I will be working on soon.

A handful of mechanics in the yard stopped by to look at my truck, they seemed to be really impressed.
Jim
Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Well I don't blame the mechanics for wanting to check out your truck...it sure is a nice looking rig!