1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stans Exhaust Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Stans Exhaust Install Tips

I have just received my Stans Exhaust system and it will be the first exhaust system I have installed. I was hoping some of you guys would have some helpful tips to make the install easier. I do have this little metal plate that has a hole at one end and I am not sure where it goes?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Do not use the U-bolt clamps Stan's sends with the kit. Use band clamps. If you ever need to remove the system for repairs or something. It will come apart without to much hassle.

Put the pipe around the transfercase in first. It comes in from the front of the truck. If the downpipe is on it will not go in.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Dont tighten everything until the end. Does this kit have the brackets welded on? Maybe that the tab for the rear most hanger???
Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM

I started taking out my old exhaust and I ran into a little snag. The down pipe and the piece around the transfer case will not separate. I know that there is a small tab welded to avoid separation, but even with that removed I cannot get them loose. Anybody have a remedy for this without too much destruction?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Philip
Do not use the U-bolt clamps Stan's sends with the kit. Use band clamps. If you ever need to remove the system for repairs or something. It will come apart without to much hassle.

Put the pipe around the transfercase in first. It comes in from the front of the truck. If the downpipe is on it will not go in.
Thanks! for the tip

Will a standard exhaust shop carry band clamps?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Any good parts store will have band clamps. I dought if autozone has them. If you notice I said good parts store anyway.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:53 PM

I got a different kit than Stans and the mounts didn't work so I went to the local exhaust shop and they fab stuff up for me since I don't have a welder and while they were at it they straight piped it for me.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will 2nd the band clamps a.k.a. seal clamps, yeah they are like 13$ ea but worth it when it comes time to remove the system. Here's a "pre-formed" one, they work great for the typical "pipe in an expanded pipe"(high tech term) joints on our rigs:

http://store.airflo.com/j009623.html

A big truck parts place should have them.
Good luck getting the dp separated from the intermediate pipe. Thats what u-bolts clamps do, crimp the two together. If you have a torch you can heat up the outer pipe red hot and wiggle it around enough to spread it back open and pull it off. I just cut mine with sawzall in the relatively straight section. If you have to re-use it later, just weld it back together. After looking at it beside the 4" you'll never go back.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
I started taking out my old exhaust and I ran into a little snag. The down pipe and the piece around the transfer case will not separate. I know that there is a small tab welded to avoid separation, but even with that removed I cannot get them loose. Anybody have a remedy for this without too much destruction?

I cut little slots in mine so i could get is loose. It took me 10 minutes just to get that piece off the down pipe.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 PM

Sounds like I am going to go to a normal parts store tomorrow to see what I can dig up and if not then Airflo it is. I got the entire exhaust out today after work, and I had to sawzall the dp and intermediate pipe.

So how much of a pain is it to get the intermediate pipe around the transfer case? Looks very tight.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 PM

That's what I used what a sawzall to cut the old exhaust out, it sure did fight me! The piece by the x-fer case actually goes through fairly easy, it's just tight where the rear clamp goes on that piece.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 AM

It will go around the transfer case. Here is a pic of the transfer case clearence. The second pic is where it comes over the cross member.

As you can see. Were it goes by the transfer case is very tight. Try using a u-bolt clamp on that connection.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 AM

Philip I appreciate the pictures, that clears that up.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Philip
Any good parts store will have band clamps. I dought if autozone has them. If you notice I said good parts store anyway.
autozone

i work at o'reillys and we have band clamps up to like 5" sitting on the shelf.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:10 PM

OK, so I ran into a little bump in the road. The bracket that secures the down pipe to the bell housing (using a u-bolt clamp) does not seem to work on the new down pipe. When I bolt up the bracket there is about an inch between the bottom of the bracket and the down pipe. I am not sure if I am supposed to use it or not, if not I need to get a shorter bolt to bolt into the bell housing.

Any Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Stans Exhaust Install Tips