1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

stalls in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stalls in reverse

Hi guys,

Recently my d350 started stalling after driving in reverse.

I don’t drive it in reverse very often except when I park it in the driveway. When I do use the reverse, it stalls when it’s at O.T. and after I've used reverse and put the clutch in. It never happens any other time.

Any ideas?

van
Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There was an old prank on volkswagens that by putting the reverse light wire on the opposite side of the coil, it would ground out every time you put it in reverse and kill the engine. Dont know if it applies to our trucks though.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 AM

unless your talking about something other than an ignition coil that would only work with a gas engine
Old 09-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That's really weird. Try hot wiring the shutoff solenoid to rule out an electrical problem.

Does the trans make any bad noises?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 PM

ok mystery solved... now it stalles in drive too. it has started stalling once the engine reaches NOT. im thinking the injectores need cleaning.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I hate to say it but I think the pump is shot.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like the spring is broken on the governor lever.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM

hiya all,

Truck has been parked for a few years but now I’m about to start working on it again. I have been searching and finding pretty good info, but I was hoping that yall could help direct me towards a few threads.

1. I am looking to install a tach and fuel pressure gauge. If anyone could name users who have posted good threads on this subject I would appreciate it.

2. Also has anyone installed a fuel gauge post IP? or just pre-IP?

3. Are there any threads on re-building not just re-sealing the IP?

4. Finally, a bunch of the wiring has burned up (literally), if anyone can help direct me to any threads on rewiring the engine bay and lights, I would be grateful.

That’s it for now, and thanks ahead of time for everything.

Van
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by iamvandemon
hiya all,

Truck has been parked for a few years but now I’m about to start working on it again. I have been searching and finding pretty good info, but I was hoping that yall could help direct me towards a few threads.

1. I am looking to install a tach and fuel pressure gauge. If anyone could name users who have posted good threads on this subject I would appreciate it.

2. Also has anyone installed a fuel gauge post IP? or just pre-IP?

3. Are there any threads on re-building not just re-sealing the IP?

4. Finally, a bunch of the wiring has burned up (literally), if anyone can help direct me to any threads on rewiring the engine bay and lights, I would be grateful.

That’s it for now, and thanks ahead of time for everything.

Van
#1 & 2 the search feature is all you need.
#3, not that I'm aware of, take it to a shop, but if it works, then why rebuild it?
#4 invest in a shop manual or www.alldata.com subscription to obtain wiring diagrams.

I'm surprised so many suggested it was the IP before the torque converter as the cause of the stalling issue in reverse in your OP? I'm not saying that it is, but I can't imagine how the pump with have anything to do with stalling in reverse if it ran fine in forward initially.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Ummm how could it be a TC the truck is a 5spd.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

EDIT: Wanna diesel is probably right, but I have to ask.
Not sure on your motors, as I have a 2nd gen, but would it indeed be possible to wire something into the fuel shutoff solenoid that would let it close off fuel when the reverse lights come on? Hopefully no one is pranking the OP, but is this a possibility? Truly devious if so.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 7horn
Ummm how could it be a TC the truck is a 5spd.
Sorry, missed that. If you have wiring issues as you describe, then maybe there is something going on there with a ground or something? Did you try jumping the solenoid directly to a 12v source as described to rule out something simple? What about all things before the IP such as the lift pump, fuel line obstructions, and clean filters?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way, but I don’t need troubleshooting help.

I'm just looking for threads that will get me a headstart/save me time when I start reconditioning this truck.. see 4 questions posted 3/17.

Thanks again
Van
Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by iamvandemon
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way, but I don’t need troubleshooting help.

I'm just looking for threads that will get me a headstart/save me time when I start reconditioning this truck.. see 4 questions posted 3/17.

Thanks again
Van
No I think I get it, you want to be spoon fed answers to all your problems? You're basically asking someone else to use the search feature and put together a nice little package for you.

If you didn't want anyone to take into account your original post from 3.5 years ago, then why drag it up? I interpreted as relevant to your current situation, but apparently it was simply supposed to be some fascinating back story.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Listen, If you don’t wanna help that’s fine. Don’t post. But don’t cry like a little spoiled school girl.

I don’t boohoo on your threads, try an have the decency to stay off of mine.

Thanks
Van

Quick Reply: stalls in reverse