1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Source for 1 gen fuel heater plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Source for 1 gen fuel heater plug

Trying to get my fuel heater wired up but need the male plug. Anyone know were I can get one? thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by jesussaves
Trying to get my fuel heater wired up but need the male plug. Anyone know were I can get one? thanks
Personally, I'd buy it from Cummins, but Amazon has them if you want to replace the entire unit.

Amazon Amazon

and you can watch this fella do his ...

The following users liked this post:
Jim Lane (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Look on https://www.rockauto.com
Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just for clarification it's the FUEL heater above the filter/separator that I need not the block heater
Old 01-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Just for clarification it's the FUEL heater above the filter/separator that I need not the block heater
Well, then you should be more specific, eh ?

Duh, I read engine heater, when it specifically says fuel heater.

Bonehead, I be, young skywatcher.

Ask Oliver if he has one on hand.

Geno's sells them
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...s/fuel-filters

although they're for the 2nd gen fuel heater. The male end is the same, because I can put a 2nd gen fuel heater on our engine, when mine goes.

I'm sure you can buy a generic plug end through an electronics store, or auto parts store, but I'd be lying if I knew what the replacement part is named or sized as. Hopefully someone will chime in. Again, Ollie might have one.

I was looking into one of these. Looks interesting, although it would need to go on a switch / relay or activated with a timer, or maybe can be kept on all the time during winter season. Battery draw would be a real concern.
Attached Thumbnails Source for 1 gen fuel heater plug-fuel-heater.jpg  
jesussaves (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 PM

Do you need the fuel heater itself or the plug to go on the wire to the heater. RockAuto may have the plug. I don't think the first gen heaters are available anymore. Here's how to fit the 2nd gen heater.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...heater-258221/
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I believe that Cummins uses a Deutsch connector, but I could be wrong.
But I would check with Cummins first.
I need the seal that goes on my WIF connector.

Amazon Amazon

Or check with these people.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/..._database.html
jesussaves (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
The male end is the same, because I can put a 2nd gen fuel heater on our engine
The connector for the second generation heater is different from the 1st generation heater.

The second generation plug is available from a few sources as outlined in the conversion thread.

I would be quite certain that the original style heater was still working before going to the trouble of finding that plug -- the plating on top of the ceramic disc of the heating element likes to corrode away, which is why the second gen replacement is necessary.
NJTman (01-04-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Wire nuts with a little dielectric grease in them will outlive you and the heater.

Generally, if I'm hooking something up that doesn't require easy disconnect for maintenance, I crimp on a bare sleeve connector, solder it, and insulate it with adhesive lined shrink tube.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Wire nuts with a little dielectric grease in them will outlive you and the heater.

Generally, if I'm hooking something up that doesn't require easy disconnect for maintenance, I crimp on a bare sleeve connector, solder it, and insulate it with adhesive lined shrink tube.
I do something similar but I don't crimp. I use special twist splice and then cover it with shrink tubing. You can solder it if you like but if the wire is clean and the shrink seals then soldering is unnecessary.

ALWAYS remember to put the shrink tubing on one of the two wires before you splice them. I hate it when I forget. If you're using stranded wire leather gloves helps prevent getting a finger poked.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Thank you Edwin!!! Why I never thought of those types of twist connections I don't know... course I've got two left thumbs when it comes to wiring and have always hated the big twisted clump of wire mess wrapped up with black tape!!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Thank you Edwin!!! Why I never thought of those types of twist connections I don't know... course I've got two left thumbs when it comes to wiring and have always hated the big twisted clump of wire mess wrapped up with black tape!!
When I was a kid the black tape was all we had. I hate it because the adhesive is always a mess. I love shrink tubing and only on this forum did I find out that you can get it with heat seal glue inside which is far superior IMHO. The nice thing about this splice is it's stronger than laying the two wires next to each other and then twisting. Wire-nuts may be great for house wiring but not great for automotive stuff that is subject to weather and vibration.

I'm not a big fan of the crimp style butt splices because they look ungainly. The uninsulated ones with heat shrink is better but sometimes you just don't have everything you need on the side of the road.

Edwin
Old 01-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I do something similar but I don't crimp. I use special twist splice and then cover it with shrink tubing. You can solder it if you like but if the wire is clean and the shrink seals then soldering is unnecessary.

ALWAYS remember to put the shrink tubing on one of the two wires before you splice them. I hate it when I forget. If you're using stranded wire leather gloves helps prevent getting a finger poked.
Wow,
You can tell we are old when we can remember the old Western Union splice, and do not forget the tap splice.

I used to use alot of sticky friction tape, and I can still remember the smell.

The idea of the Western Union splice was the weight of the wire span made the mechanical joint tighter.
Jim
Old 01-07-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Wow,
You can tell we are old when we can remember the old Western Union splice, and do not forget the tap splice.

The idea of the Western Union splice was the weight of the wire span made the mechanical joint tighter.
Jim
Thanks Jim for the proper name of that splice. I like old electricity books where I find a lot of this stuff. I like the Audels series and I would love to find more of them.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Wow,

Jim
I was taught that as a DeVry connection, but I bet they stole it from Western Union...Mark

Quick Reply: Source for 1 gen fuel heater plug