1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Sound Deadening/Dynomat Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Deadening/Dynomat Question

I have a source for Dynomat at cost, so I am considering using it as a sound deadener in the cab. That said, I'm a little apprehensive about glueing it to the metal floor and was considering glueing it to some carpet padding instead. that way if my floor gets water in it from a leak or something, I could always take it out to the metal.

Has anyone done this or have any advice on Dynomat in general? Is it worth using?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM

I believe part of the benefits of dyno mat or any similar sound deadened is the fact that it DOES stick to your metal. This "holds" it together and deadens any vibrations that can reverberate through the sheet metal.

If you'r going to just glue it to carpet padding... just put some carpet padding under there. It works as a decent sound deadener too. Then just use the dynomat on the vertical surfaces.

I found some stuff at Lowes or Home Depot that is VERY similar to dynomat or similar products. Its NOT the asphalt based roofing underlayment that can smell. Its an "aluminum" faced 1/8" foam insulation with sticky back used for duct insulation. I paid $18 I think for a 1'x15' roll. It 's made by Frost King and called Duct Insulation self adhesive foil and foam.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I agree with your concerns about having the mat glued to a floor that will most likely be water-soaked within a few weeks.

I guess the only removable alternative is to do as dzl said and just double up on the carpet pad.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 PM

dynamat and others (i used b-quiet) makes a water tight seal. water will never get in between the metal and mat. if you concerned get a sample. stick it to metal and try to peel it off ror even more fun. stick them together and see if you can peel them apart.
if your using a foam based deadener make sure its closed cell. open cell will soak up water like a sponge.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 AM

I love Dynamat, but only the 'xtreme' line they have. Great stuff...highly recommended.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Water??? Shouldn't you find the leaks first and repair them before you do Dynomat? Just a thought. I know these trucks are notorious for leaking but if you fix the problem areas the cab will last much longer. The biggest area is above the windshield,wing vents,wiper arm grommets and rear window seal. Look at those first before you proceed further and you will not regret it. I hope this helps,I am dealing with the same problems.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use dynamat. My cab floor and my doors are all covered with it. Only took two 10 sheet boxes to do it. Works good. Takes out all the engine noise from underneath and with the doors being done its almost silent in my truck even with the stacks.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
I found some stuff at Lowes or Home Depot that is VERY similar to dynomat or similar products. Its NOT the asphalt based roofing underlayment that can smell. Its an "aluminum" faced 1/8" foam insulation with sticky back used for duct insulation. I paid $18 I think for a 1'x15' roll. It 's made by Frost King and called Duct Insulation self adhesive foil and foam.

Is this stuff "open-face" or "close-face" ??

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:16 PM

guys check out www.b-quiet.com in my opinion as good as dynamat and 1/3 the price. i have it my 78 with a big block/headers and 3" exhaust and its pretty quiet (inside). i used the b-quite ultimate on the floors, back wall and firewall and then used b-quiet "v-comp" on the floors and firewall. going to do a bit more v-comp on the floors and back wall. i have a full headliner in it from a 93 that i am going to pull out and do the roof with ultimate when i get the time.
Attached Thumbnails Sound Deadening/Dynomat Question-375894330.jpg  
Old 05-15-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Is this stuff "open-face" or "close-face" ??

Thanks.
ha... feelin dumb. What do you mean by that?

EDIT: oh, itf you mean open cell or closed cell foam... I'm not sure. I'll assume it's open face foam and not put any on the floor. My new carpet has the extra matting already, so I'll be sticking it on the firewall, rear wall, doors.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
what about teh "quiet car" product? I've heard good things about that but it isn't the mat style, it is a brush or roll on dampener.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
ha... feelin dumb. What do you mean by that?

EDIT: oh, itf you mean open cell or closed cell foam... I'm not sure. I'll assume it's open face foam and not put any on the floor. My new carpet has the extra matting already, so I'll be sticking it on the firewall, rear wall, doors.

Yeah, I worded it wrong; I meant open-cell/closed-cell.

You figured it out anyway.

Thanks.