1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Shut That Truck Up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shut That Truck Up!!!

I've been getting tired of excessive road noise, wind leaks, rattles, etc. So yesterday I started my assault on all of those.

I'm a cheap guy, and my truck is no showpiece. It's a truck and I use it like a truck. And so did the previous owner. Yesterday I pulled the carpet up on the drivers side because I noticed a small section of carpet was wet. (Been raining here like crazy) I found about six 12ga shotshells, and a whole buttload of .22 long rifle bullets (oddly I have the same bullets & shells in my glove box, but those are mine) Along with a bunch of change.

I Cleaned all that stuff up, then sprayed the floor with Spray Adhesive. The I cut out a section of this 1/8" foil/bubble insulation that I got at Home Depot for $13. I layed that stuff down, and then put the carpet back down.

I sprayed & laid that insulation along the back panel of the cab, behind the seat.

And I pulled the door panels, lubed all locking/window mechanisms, & sprayed the whole thing with a spray can of Undercoating that you get at Autozone.

Then I sprayed & layed the insulation OVER the undercoating and put the door panels back on.

Next step was filling in the air leaks. I noticed alot of noise coming from the doors when I drove. I got some Expanding Foam PRO (water proof) and sprayed it up in the door jams behind the front fenders. I also sprayed it up underneath the dash up in the corners and at the steering colum & brake pedal areas.

After all of that, I went for a drive...and the truck almost felt different. There was no roadnoise, no air leaks, and it sounded like a 2nd gen truck. The drone from the exhaust had even gone away a bit.

The next thing I'll do is a full roll-on lining on the floorboards, insulation, and new carpet. I'm going to do it between the headliner & roof also. but that'll come when I have more time.

Not bad for 2 hours and $25!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:30 AM

I still have a roll of one of the dynamat style ( I think it was call RaMat or something like that) sheets out in the storage room I was thinking of putting down in my truck. Is there any factoy deadening stuff under the carpet to speak of?

Alot of guys into car audio on the cheap have been buying a product called Peel-N-Seal at home depot and using it for this purpose. It is a self adheasive foil backed product meant for putting on RV roofs.

Sounds like it might be a worth while mod when I get the time.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:40 AM

Dynamat is best. I did the entire interior on my old '88 Ranger 4x4 and it was sound proof.

The factory carpet has the typical foam cushion and a really thin layer of a deadening material that almost looks like roof tar paper.

I didn't find the Peel-n-Seal, but that's what I was looking for...something self-adhesive. I came across this other stuff and just sprayed adhesive and made it work.

When I get a good day to rip the interior out, I'll put that roll-on liner in there with a few coats throughout the entire cab. Then some insulation, and my new carpet that's sitting in a box.

I still cant find a source for the window run channels...
Old 10-26-2004, 01:04 PM

I used Peal n Seal on most of the interior.
Check out my pictures for the door panel.
Well worth the trouble.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:06 PM

Where'd you get it? I checked Home Depot.com and came up with nothing...
Old 10-26-2004, 01:07 PM

Hey that stuff looks ALOT better than mine...I'm gonna have to get me that!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:59 AM

I found some yesterday at Home Depot. It is in the roofing section right next to all the tar and flashing. $15 per roll at 6"*75'. I used 3 rolls to cover my floor pan and back wall. I'm going to get another roll today to do the doors. Can't remember exactly what it is called. I'll try and look today.
AJ
Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 AM

Cool, give us a report on how it does.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:09 AM

It already sounds ALOT quieter. I'm still getting a lot of noise through the doors, I'm going to do those tonight. I think I need some window seals too. But with just the floor pan done, it feels quieter through your feet, and you don't have to yell to talk to someone at 70 mph. I expect the doors to make an even bigger difference. Took me about 4 hours to get everything out, put down the tape, clean everything up and get it back in, and that was working alone. If you had someone to lend a hand it would be a couple hours easy.
AJ
Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 AM

I had to contact Peal n Seal to find a supplier in Houston. It was a roofing supply place. The stuff is real sticky.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:27 PM

Stuff I used is called "Protecto Wrap" Quik-Fix Roof and Gutter Repair Tape, got it at Home Depot. I said it was 6"*75', I meant that I used 75' of it. Comes 6"*25 foot. $15.97 per roll, 4 rolls should do the floor pan, back wall, and doors of a regular cab 1st gen, with some left over.
AJ
Old 10-27-2004, 03:10 PM

Yeah I did an in depth search to find Peel-n-Seal and found only 2 dealers in Texas.

I'm going back to Home Depot in about 10 minutes to find the stuff that ARedetzke is talking about. Before I went in the first place, I looked at their website and found a roll of this self-adhesive stuff. I walked all over and foundnothing, asked an employee and they gave me the roll. I get home and it's not self adhesive...man I was mad. I shoulda thought about it when the girl only charged me $4.00 for the roll

Well I'm going to go find this "Protecto Wrap" and try and get this truck insulated up better cause I'll be out of town between Austin & Dallas tonight through sunday night and wont have any time.

Thanks for chiming in ARedetzke. Oh and the wind noise I eliminated was in the fenders/door gap. Just filled with waterproof expanding foam.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:19 PM

I don't quite understand where you put the expanding foam.
If I put it between the door and fender I don't think the door will open??
By the way does anybody know the "right" way to align the door? I replaced the hinges but it still doesn't shut well.
Thanks, John
Old 10-27-2004, 03:25 PM

Man I just searched all over Home Depot's sie and can't find this "Protecto Wrap" anywhere.

j-stickers.. Open the door...and look up behind the fender. I filled the top section up and a small part of the bottom section.

I don't want to trap any moisture, so I didn' fill the entire thing. I don't have that loud wind noise anymore, except from the window run channels that need replacing. But it's not as bad as it was before.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:22 PM

I like that idea. I'll try it tonight. I think I have a can of Great Stuff in the back of the truck.

Quick Reply: Shut That Truck Up!!!