1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Springs

Ok, so i'm tired of my W250 riding like a tractor. I was thinking about taking a leaf or two out of the rear springs and putting in some air bags. That way it might ride better empty and when I load it the bags will keep it level. I'm not a big fan of removing leafs from a spring pack, but I think it will be okay as long as I have the bags to support added weight. Has anyone tried this? Thanks in advance.

Jake
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about if you need to take leaves out of the pack, but there are a few guys here with airbags. Maybe look up the Kelderman site and see if they have any info. I believe Diesel Power mag did a write up recently on installing airbags, but I think it was a Ford they did, (sorry, can't remember exactly.) Firestone may or may not have any info also.

... Sorry, not very helpful this morning....
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM

i havent tried it yet but am in the process of getting all of the parts to do it myself. from air bags to ride height control valves----only need a couple more parts to get started.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 PM

I did it.

Had a friend get me new packs all the way around for a great price but the packs are c%$p.

It rode so hard the back tires would bounce right off the pavement on the hi way at speed. Ended up breaking 2 leaves in the drivers side pack.

Dropped both sides and removed 4 springs leaving me with 4 and I installed Firestone airbags with the compressor and valve and gauge in the cab so I could adjust on the fly.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truck is still bouncy but I'm able to handle it, it is a Gen 1 after all

Once I hook onto a trailer or load up the box I preset the psi in the bags and once I'm driving I adjust for the best ride. You couldn't sell me on anything else.

I hauled 2 full pallets of asphalt shingles and had zero issues. I have only single rear tires and a dry box in the bed so the load was past the tailgate. The forklift operator almost wouldn't do it till I convinced him to slowly lower the load and watch the to see if the box dropped significantly. I put 50 psi on the bags and drove home with 38 psi and never even looked in the mirror to see what was going on. I love hauling the 5th wheel now as it's weight changes and I change the suspension to match. I have yet not to haul a load for fear of breaking anything (within reason of course)

I have the plastic lines the system came with and have heard forever how "It's too cold, they will shatter, crack, break blah blah blah......" Dec 2009 we were the coldest place on earth for a couple of hours and I was hauling. I put rubber hose over the spots where the hoses contact the frame and have had not one single problem with ANYTHING for 5 years. I also live out in the country and drive lots on dirt roads.

I give the solution your looking for a 10 out of 10!!!

Hope this helps and good luck.

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions or issues and I'll keep an eye out here as well.

Name:  DSCF0061-2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  DSCF0060-2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  17.4 KB
Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. THEBIGBULLY, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I think I'm gonna try that eventually. (I got other stuff to fix first). Which leaves did you take out? Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 AM

hey-Hey!!!,
While you've got it all apart, consider going with 5/8", Grade 8 U-bolts. This will require drilling out the shock mount/lower clamp piece. I got a spare set of these so I could get it done w/o having to wait for the drilling; you can borrow my spare set( send me back your originals )if you'd like. I got my U-bolts from these folks:
http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...e/u-bolts.aspx
cheers,
Douglas