1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pump Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pump Tuning?

I have been doing some testing with my rig and have noticed something that has me wondering. Ok, so I accelerate and shift then throttle up again and it goes nicely then seems the level off and I have to push the pedal aways to keep accelerating. It almost seems like it "governs out". If I mash it there is plenty of go left. It will do this is 3rd thru 5th gear. I though I read somewhere that the starwheel can be adjusted to change this. Is that right? Am I nuts? My throttle bellcrank bushing are pretty loose. Is there anyway that is causing it? Or maybe the engine is just catching up to the fuel being supplied?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
I have been doing some testing with my rig and have noticed something that has me wondering. Ok, so I accelerate and shift then throttle up again and it goes nicely then seems the level off and I have to push the pedal aways to keep accelerating. It almost seems like it "governs out". If I mash it there is plenty of go left. It will do this is 3rd thru 5th gear. I though I read somewhere that the starwheel can be adjusted to change this. Is that right? Am I nuts? My throttle bellcrank bushing are pretty loose. Is there anyway that is causing it? Or maybe the engine is just catching up to the fuel being supplied?
I always thought it was just catching up, but it 's definately something I've thought about. It's kinda like when you are in neutral and blip the throttle and she'll go quiet comming down and then just pick up th idle again.

I love that and what you describe. it just sounds so efficient and cool almost like an electric motor
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The star wheel is designed to either increase spring pressure (counterclockwise) or decrease spring pressure (clockwise). The spring pressure determines how much intake pressure is needed to move the fuel pin in its chamber. The more spring pressure means that you need more intake pressure to move the fuel pin which means that you are dumping fuel more consistently throughout the rpm range. If you set the star wheel down (clockwise) your fuel pin is moving down faster and at lower boost which will also create more smoke, unburnt fuel.

After I installed my ground fuel pin I had almost instant smoke and allot of it. I turned the star wheel CC and it felt like it had a little more pull to it and it only smokes real hard under WOT.

I think that I explained the operation of the star wheel correctly and if I didn't someone will correct me.

Ryan
Old 11-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
Or maybe the engine is just catching up to the fuel being supplied?
Bingo! The governor is balanced in the situation you describe, in order to get more RPM you need to add more fuel.