1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-purchase questions

Guys

I'm scheduled to go pickup the '93 in a couple of hours and wanted to ask a few questions based on earlier observations.

1. Truck did not exhibit any smoke...I thought there should be some black smoke as it's a diesel.

2. I did not drive the truck as he did not have any current tags on it. He drove me around about 2 miles (with no tags in a urban area). The truck seems to have plenty of power. When we returned to his house, I shut it down and restarted the truck. If fired right up and purred, but when I pressed the accelerator there was a noticeable lag. Is that from the turbo? My main concern...after reading the many posts about the lift pump and injector pump is: If the lifter pump is failing and the injection pump is pulling fuel...could that cause the lag? Is there a way to check the condition of the lift pump and/or the injection pump?

3. I felt the engine before he started it and was cold...I know that a cold diesel could be stubborn to start. It was around 40 degrees out. I was wondering if pre-started it but did not run it long enough to warm the engine. Should there be any concern with cold start?

I will driving the truck prior to exchanging funds as I printed a trip permit to allow me to drive it home. After pulling cash from ATMs over the past couple of days (the banks were closed) and now have $2000 cash I want to make sure that I'm making an informed decision. 100 $20 bills is a pretty big stack...it wouldn't be as bad if I just wrote a check...lol.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 PM

It won't put out much if any black smoke if it is stock. 40 degrees is nothing for a cummins. It is definitely not like a powerstroke of a dirtymax. I never plugged mine in unless it was less than 30 dgrees, but I only live 2 miles from work. If I had a further commute, I wouldn't plug it in until much colder. I sure hope you are giving more than $2k. That seems like a steal for sure.....he doesn't have two does he?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 PM

It's only $2000.00, he was asking $2300. The only big ticket items that I've read so far...is injection pump. I would imagine if it was having any issues with it...I'd be able to tell or it won't run. I was worried about the lag since reading other posts that if the lift pump goes the injection pump will pull the fuel but starve of lubrication...therefore ruining it. Being a newbie to diesel technology (have been working on gassers for decades), I'm somewhat paranoid...I guess.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

If it's stock, it will be laggy, even when under no load in the driveway. Turn a few screws, and that all changes. Check your throttle linkage for any slack- I think there may be something in the sticky about it.

A properly tuned diesel wont smoke, until you get to obscene power levels- smoke is wasted fuel. ALso, the B-series Cummins will start down to 0deg without any trouble, esp if the grid heaters (glow plug-like function, but much more reliabble) are allowed to heat. Mine started in -4deg one morning without being plugged in.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal- the engine is worth what you gave for the whole truck.

Daniel
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM

if it starts runs and drives for 2k pay him fast .... normaly i won't buy any thing with out a highway cruise and a chance to look it over good in day light. if you can pay a mechanic a $100 and get him to look it over and safety it that way you have barganing tools and a clear view of what you r getting into. but hey for 2000 giver you can sell it for double fill out some details 4x4? auto?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:01 PM

It's a '93 D250 2wd auto with o/d 184,000 miles with three toolboxes and a ladder rack.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like they said, jump on it if it is only $2k.

Heck, speaking of cold start. I bought mine and 2 days later it was -15*. The 95 Ford E350 van wouldn't start, the 94 Dodge mini-van started after 4 attempts, the 87 Chevy Burb TBI started in 2 tries (always with-in 2 tries, even when hot out.) and the rusty ole Dodge with a dirty diesel (so said my family. Dad said it wouldn't start cause it wasn't plugged in) started the first time. I just mashed the go pedal and cranked it for about 1 min. Then you could have counted the cylinders as they kicked in. Not good for it but it proved a point.