1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Powerstroke I/C install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Super job on the install there Jimbo. Seems we think alike...You did pretty much every idea I have had rolling about in my head for when I get to my PS IC. Now my job will be much easier.

I think this needs to be added to the PS IC thread in the sticky.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Super job on the install there Jimbo. Seems we think alike...You did pretty much every idea I have had rolling about in my head for when I get to my PS IC. Now my job will be much easier.

I think this needs to be added to the PS IC thread in the sticky.
Great job!!! I have one waiting to go in my truck.

I Agree this should be in the sticky
Old 09-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
So far it seems as though spool time has decreased a bit. The additional volume of air has cleaned up smoke a bit as well. Also, it seems like EGT's cool down quicker.
Have you noticed any difference in ac temps with the condenser behind the ps/ic ?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
I don't have any findings with a/c to report as I'm in the process of getting the a/c in working order. Just need to buy a compressor, get the hoses configured and have it charged. I'll report back with those findings as soon as I can.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:08 PM

other than removing your grid heater did you have to do any other mods w/ the tubes you used? would "cooler tubz" worked better/worse?

Great looking install

James
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by texsasdiesel
other than removing your grid heater did you have to do any other mods w/ the tubes you used? would "cooler tubz" worked better/worse?

Great looking install

James
I think that those are coolertubez
Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM

These aren't Cooler Tubz. I bought the air horn from Pusher Intakes and the 3" tubing from Silicone Intakes.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM

you happen to remember the pieces of tubing that you bought from there? bends, lengths, etc?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Sure do!

2ft. L x 3" dia. Mandrel Bent Aluminum Pipe, 45° Bend

2ft. L x 3" dia. Straight Aluminum Pipe
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Awesome! thank you very much!

Wanna, i think maybe we should add this to the additional sticky that we already have about the PS i/c install?

James
Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Jimbo...I noticed you used some foam tape during your install. Could you tell me the size, type and where you used it?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Cool truck and great clean lookin' job at the PS i/c install; I'm lookin' to jump at my first opportunity to grab one myself; would this fit as well in my stock '89 D250; what turbo should I use with PS i/c; an
i/ced HE351??, is this the best fitment; and looking at upgrade exhaust @ 4", any part #'s available and where to source; I live in London, ON, Ca.; love to grab a wrecked '04.5- up with 6-spd trans, could replace my AT at same time as seem to be having TC problems already and if I upgrade the TC then what next my trans crooks??; any input very welcome!! Geat pics and job weel displayed; thanks.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 PM

Sorry I haven't checked up on this thread, fellas.

First of all, thanks for all the compliments!

Originally Posted by Robofig
Have you noticed any difference in ac temps with the condenser behind the ps/ic ?
I don't have a very good comparison of a/c temps. prior to the install since my a/c hasn't worked for quite some time now. Now that it is operational again, I can say that the a/c gets cold!

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Jimbo...I noticed you used some foam tape during your install. Could you tell me the size, type and where you used it?
I couldn't tell you what type or brand of tape this stuff is. It's from a collection my dad has in the garage. IIRC, the strips are about 1" wide by 1/4" thick. If you can see in the following picture, they're about as wide as the headers on the a/c condenser. I placed some on the radiator support behind the condenser, at each header and along the center support brace. As well as the pieces on each header between the condenser and i/c. However, they do not make contact at all.

Originally Posted by texsasdiesel

Great looking install

James
No other mods necessary with the tubes I used. Lengths would have varied depending upon whether running the grid heater or not. The only reason I removed the grid heater on mine is because the intake horn from Pusher Intakes was for a '94-'98 12 valve, having a higher arch than the CoolerTubz which are built specifically for 1st gens. Thus, the clearance issue I had.

I went with the intake from Pusher Intakes because they offered aluminum which can only oxidize, not rust. Unlike the 409 stainless that is used for CoolerTubz. Not to bash a hard working man's creation whatsoever. I merely wanted to worry less about maintaining it. They also come standard with 2 - 1/8" ports in the back and can add as many as you can fit. Plus it looks just as good when polished!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 PM

great, neat install; excellent idea with the foam tape, if there were any contact between the pieces the tape would minimize any vibrational wear for sure!; can't wait to get at mine in early February; Jerry / boss hawg
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I used camper seal in my instalation 2 years ago and it's still holding fine.

Dar

Quick Reply: Powerstroke I/C install