1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Possible gelling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible gelling?

On cold mornings, below 10 degrees outside, my gas pedal doesn't want to move when I first start the truck. I leave the truck outdoors but plugged in all night. Starts right up without a problem.... except this morning. So, I first turn the key on, wait to start light comes on for a second, push the pedal and nothing. But truck starts right up and then it seems to break free and move without a problem. Well today, it being 28 below zero and not having any power due to substations shutting off. Truck didn't want to start at all. I can understand that part because the battery sounded pretty bad after I cycled the key 3 times to try and let it warm the fuel. But, the pedal doesn't move at all. I opened the hood and tried to move it by hand, nothing. Seems frozen but not sure if it is just binding inside the pump or not. I could understand if it is frozen but wondered if it could be something else and all the other times, I was lucky that it didn't gel completely. So, maybe after power comes back on (left it plugged in), I might check the fuel filter and see what it looks like. At work now so good excuse to take off early. HUH, a good thing.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Muted User

I am not sure about your pedal sticking but my service manual says not to run your grid heaters more than once every 15 minutes or you will do damage. I know my friend was up north hunting and was doing his a couple of times every morning before starting his truck cause it was really cold and he said it really started to smoke and run rough one morning and it turned out when he retuned home that there was a prob with the heaters. Just my .02 cents
Grant
Old 01-09-2004, 08:05 AM

I usually don't. But have in the past without a problem. Thank though and will keep that in mind.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Chapter President

Isn't there a cable to the go pedal? My brain just can't think right now, but if there is that might be the problem. Moisture can get inside the cable and freeze.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:06 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Make sure your block heater is working. When I leave mine plugged in overnight, the wait light doesn't come on at all, and the engine is toasty. The throttle linkage wouldn't be able to freeze, and the lines wouldn't gel. I've left mine plugged in while rigging the plow all week, just so it's a little more comfortable place to work. It's been colder than 10 here. Also, the throttle cables do get cruddy inside the sheath, $65 last time I checked Cummins, I think a cleaning with wd-40, then a little oil would help some.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 AM

COOL, truck is back in business.
Regleg, Block heater is working great. Problem was that since it was cold here, a bunch of substations kicked off so we had no power when I woke up. No power = no warm block. Came home at lunch and power had been on for 4 hours, truck started right up. Still though the pedal wouldn't move until the truck started. Even if I tried to move the injector pump level where the adjustable rod connects to it, it didn't move. Just seems strange that it only does it until it starts, then not a problem for the rest of the day, even letting it sit for a long period (4 - 5 hours) it doesn't do it. Only after 8 - 10 hours or so and it being cold out. That is why I wasn't sure if it was gelling in the pump instead of the lines. I would think if it gels anywhere, it wouldn't start. I do add Power Service stuff to try and help. Temps should get a HIGH of MINUS 5 today, yahooooo.

Thanks all. Enjoy your warm weather.