1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Poo Poo Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poo Poo Paint

Can anybody give me any tips or??? My 93 and only first gens seem to get the peeling paint problem. Hood edges, rain gutters tops of fenders, soon it will be like my 85 Chevy, I can literally hose the paint off when I wash it,so I dont any longer ,but my CTD I take care of. I know, waterbase primer and oil base top coat causes this, but Do I really have to strip it down to bare metal to repaint it correctly?? Where is daniel son and that Mr Miagi guy when you need them. Wax on, Paint off. <br> Thanks. Scott<br> P.S. I really hate sanding things, anyone interested? free beer and burro rides, what more could you want??
Old 05-27-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Poo Poo Paint

Mines the same way. Hand rubbed carnuba every other month for 7 years. Hood, roof both shot. Fenders are going next. Dark forest green was the color. It used to be beautiful. I know how you feel. :'(
Old 05-27-2003, 08:13 PM

sounds like the same problem that Ford had with their paint a long while back. It was said that &quot;Bubba&quot; and his buddies wheren't wearing the proper clothing and when the lifted their arms to spray the high points, their &quot;underarm no stink stuff&quot; was falling onto the cars and trucks and made the paint flake out :'(. Man, I'd hate to know I stunk that bad, must be the same guys buliding the PSD and Duramax.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:36 PM
AlK

The paint on my 92 still looks almost like new. My brother and a friend both have fords (blue colours) and they both look like crap.<br>---<br>Al
Old 05-28-2003, 12:39 AM

You might be able to get away with just taking it down to primer, myself on my 93 gaser though, I went all the way to bare metal just did it over this last winter. Used a da and 80 grit to take it to bare metal primed and painted with PPG, looks great now.If it's the whole truck you need done,and you hate to sand you might call around and see about having it stripped with media blasting(kinda like sand blasting ,but it using plastic media instead, works great and as long as the operator knows whats he's doing it won't warp your trucks sheet metal) ask the guy how long he's been blasting and if he has any finshed auto's you can see before you commit to him.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:14 AM

My friend is in the body business. Unfortunately, to do it right and last a long time, strip it to bare medal and then prep it correctly. Otherwise, looks great for a couple of years but will start coming right back to the way it looks now. He has used several methods to strip to bare metal, sand, media blast, liquid stripper. I guess it all depends upon how much body panel you are working with each time. You may be able to only do one section (fender, door, whatever) at a time and it might make it easier for you.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:49 AM

Yep you are right guys It was a primer problem and all the big 3 had their turn. Gotta go down to the metal or you'll have it happen again down the road :'( I had a black furd some years back, had the same prob gray primer really shined thru that black paint
Old 05-28-2003, 11:13 AM

yep I will say take it all the way down. I had my 92 repainted less than a year ago and its just about to the same condition as before. Course it sit all day in 90 degree sun here.<br><br> JJ &gt;
Old 05-28-2003, 10:37 PM

I can say this, that when it was parked under cover, winter or summer it stayed the same pretty much. I got lazy and leave it out now (jeep project)and when its rain season here, or generally damp it really starts to go to the dogs. even my Okie garage helped. (pole barn). Ive run a few trucks out to the S.Q. valley and had them painted for under $500. out here I recon them enviroMENTALists is whats make a paint job 5 times that price. guess it will have to wait for now!!.