1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

piston rings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
piston rings?

Ok guys and gals......yesterday i was hauling a load of wood home and after about 15 miles the ol' diesel started smoking blue Got home and the exhaust smells like burnt oil. So i pulled the down pipe, no oil visible. checked the turbo, no oil, turbo is still tight on both ends also. It is still the original baby H1c. Now i've been going to change the oil for the past week, it's not bad, been keeping an eye on it, but today i checked it again and it is really sooted up. Got a thick gummy texture to it and has some little bubbles on the dip stick when i pull it after the engine has just shut down. Also notice a little more blow by than normal. All the above suggesting to me , that i'm getting compression in the crankcase and oil in the cylinders. So i'm assuming i've got bad rings in a cylinder. Looking for confirmation from you guys and other ideas. Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM

You could look into a compression test , don't know whats involved with that as far as tools and specifications.

Steven M
Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 PM

I forgot to mention that this morning when i fired the truck up, it had a miss to it, while litening to the exhaust. But that disappeared later today.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I`d be more concerned about the speed that the prob came on. The truck was running fine prior to this? What were the EGT`s when you were hauling?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Do not have a pyro, so i don't know the egt's. Truck is still stock as far as the pump, i did bump the timing. But when i'm hauling a load i rarely get over 45 mph, mostly back road driving.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil level is ok ?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54 PM

how much blow by, do you have a manometer or magnahelic guage to measure with. what brand of oil and how many miles on it
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the response guys! Oil level is fineit uses maybe a quart every 3000 miles, since i dried all the leaks up. Blow by used to be just a little out the tube, the usual. Now i can take off the oil fill cap and there is signifigant blow by and you can see it in the air, just like a hazy exhaust pipe. Truck wrench, i have nothing to measure the blowby with. And it has a litle over 4000 miles on oil, about 3 months. Rotella 15w-40.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Ok...change in diagnosis.....the burnt oil smell is coming from the blow by tube..lol After work today, i told 2 of the mechanics to stand behind the truck and get a good wiff of the smoke when i fired the truck up....then i went around a took a good wiff myself. It burnt our nose hairs and eye ***** out!!! Definately strong fuel in the exhaust. So i'm gonna start yanking injectors and go from there.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Ok folks...new development. Yanked all injectors and cleaned them...they had some carbon built up aound the holes, but none of the injectors holes were closed up. This didn't fix anything. So when i had my throttle bracket off and went and started the truck, came back and looked under hood and realized the blue wire wasn't even hooked up...it is stating and killing itself with one wire on the selonoid....hmmm So i pulled the plunger and it looked fine....decided to run the truck with out the plunger and it did not change anything. Why would the selonoid be working with only one wire now?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM

I alos cracked each injector while running and waited for about a minute on each one....that didn't clear the smoke up either. I also checked the ksb and it seems to be working fine as well. Just had a friend pressurize the fuel system and i didn't see any leaks....i think that eliminates air in the fuel
Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by hounddogks76
Ok folks...new development. Yanked all injectors and cleaned them...they had some carbon built up aound the holes, but none of the injectors holes were closed up. This didn't fix anything. So when i had my throttle bracket off and went and started the truck, came back and looked under hood and realized the blue wire wasn't even hooked up...it is stating and killing itself with one wire on the selonoid....hmmm So i pulled the plunger and it looked fine....decided to run the truck with out the plunger and it did not change anything. Why would the selonoid be working with only one wire now?
one wire is ground, the other is 12 volt........I'll bet the loose wire is the ground
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks john......before, when the blue wire was off...the truck wouldn't even start and now it will start with out it hooked up...this is why it has me cornfused! haha
I did case ground the solenoid when i had it out and it was grounding like that.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:13 PM

Just pulled NO#1 injector to help with TDC to run the valves....and that booger is already carboned up, I've put about 20 miles on it since i cleaned it yesterday....plus idle time in the driveway trying to diagnose this!@#$%$#
Old 08-27-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
might want to pop test the injectors....and check spray pattern.

Quick Reply: piston rings?