1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Performance Parts Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Performance Parts Questions

I know this post may be redundant because I see a lot of people on here post about performance parts but I'm just trying to get the knowledge as to what to do in my current situation.

My truck is equipped as listed below in the signature. Factory non-IC truck with factory intercooler setup installed (radiator, A/C condenser, core support, intercooler, piping and turbo compressor housing) so I do have the luxury of having bigger factory injectors on an intercooled truck.

I'm about to just throw out my injection pump (even though it still works fine) because it's bored 10 over for some unknown reason and constantly overfuels. I've played around with turning out the smoke screw and full fuel screw and still no change (mass of smoke at low boost and high EGTs when pulling even light loads). Therefore, I'm just going to go with a completely remanufactured pump so I know everything is back to the original settings.

I already installed the GDS 60mm Compressor Housing and Wheel (and love it!) so the issue of getting air is out of the question. I want to rid the truck of any turbo lag since my 18cm exhaust housing isn't cutting it for what I want. I would like to go with a 16cm since my truck is a 5 speed but I've also been told I can go with a 14cm and spool even better. I don't want to run out on the top end so that's why I'm leaning more towards the 16cm but I just want some of your all's input on that as well.

As for the "new" pump, what should I do with it? I'm already certain I'm going to buy a fuel pin and do some minor tweaking but I want to know what's the best fuel pin recommended.

Any other performance additions that can be added to the truck are not out of the question, I just need you guys to tell me what's the best bang for my buck and what's going to get me to my goal!

I would like to make around 275-300hp in the truck and attempt to be low to moderate smoke. I haul around 5k regularly but it's not of of the ordinary for me to very sparingly haul 8 or 9k. Therefore, I also need something that will fit the bill hauling without having EGTs go through the roof. I've already learned so much from this forum and would love to soak up some more of the expertise of other diesel lovers on here! Thanks y'all for any bit of help you can offer!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM

What do you mean by factory non intercooled truck with factory intercooler? If someone added it later then you still have the non ic head and larger injectors unless those too were changed.

Also can you elaborate on the pump being bored over?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 AM

Have you made sure your fuel pin us floating freely? Is it a custom pin from Schied? If so it may be to aggressive of a fuel ramp. Before I threw a pump away i would spend money on an all together better turbo. I think that is your ultimate problem.

I see your sig says it will make 42psi but psi isn't always a good thing.

I'm sure someone here would be willing to trade but if not you're going to spend close to $1000.00 on a new one. If that one has been highly modified there is a good chance you won't get your core back.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by 12V_shooter25
The craigslist ad the guy had said that Scheid had bored the pump out "10 over." After driving the truck for a short time, I started to realize that it hazes almost constantly, regardless of how much or how little I am on the throttle. I took the truck to Thoroughbred Diesel and the only real response I got to the boring over was "that's a very large bore" and nothing really else that would help me fix the problem other than telling me to get different injectors and fuel pin/spring.
Did you ever take Thoroughbred Diesel's advice?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 93-12Smoke
Have you made sure your fuel pin us floating freely? Is it a custom pin from Schied? If so it may be to aggressive of a fuel ramp. Before I threw a pump away i would spend money on an all together better turbo. I think that is your ultimate problem.

I see your sig says it will make 42psi but psi isn't always a good thing.

I'm sure someone here would be willing to trade but if not you're going to spend close to $1000.00 on a new one. If that one has been highly modified there is a good chance you won't get your core back.
That's one of the problems, my fuel pin isn't floating freely. I've actually tried to take it out and it's nearly impossible. Whenever I take the AFC housing top off and try to pull the diaphragm, it won't even budge. I've pulled enough to where I can feel it pulling on the starwheel spring and when I let go it just falls right back into place. I've also tried turning it and twisting it to kind of loosen it up but that's made zero progress. I called Thoroughbred about it and they said the only thing I could do is take it to them, but I would like that to be a last resort option.

As for the boring out, I have not a clue whats bored. The Craigslist ad when I bought the truck said "pump bored 10 over" and I should have just looked away then

Turbo wise, what else is there I can do with my current turbo? I have the 60mm GDS housing so I have the airflow (I know psi isn't all that's needed, it's more about how much air is flowing). I've talked to two different people at Gillett Diesel and they said I can just go with the smaller exhaust housing (14cm or 16cm) to get the turbo to spool nearly instantaneous on my 5 speed. Other than that, what would be the other options for turbos that could get my within my horsepower range? Thanks y'all!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Did you ever take Thoroughbred Diesel's advice?
No, I haven't yet. I'm looking into fixing the fuel pin because mine is stuck in position and I'm going to try to get away with keeping my stock injectors because they are non-IC and I know that's what's mainly desired.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 12V_shooter25
No, I haven't yet. I'm looking into fixing the fuel pin because mine is stuck in position and I'm going to try to get away with keeping my stock injectors because they are non-IC and I know that's what's mainly desired.

Well, "bored 10 over" is B as in B, and S as in S. (Direct quote from Joe Souchery) Who knows what's been done to the pump.

It seems to me your fuel pin is stuck. I'd go back to the diesel shop and tell them your problem. They'll figure out the retainer that's in the wrong position, or whatever, and get it fixed. If it's a foreign pin (likely) have them put in a stock one if it's too wild. You may have damaged at with your efforts anyway.

How do you know what injectors are in it? Maybe have the shop check them out while they're at it. It really doesn't take long to pull them and test them if you have the right tools.

I put some 7x10 SAC injectors in mine. It hazes and smokes, but goes pretty good. I plan to put in a 60 mm compressor, and if that doesn't clear it up, I'll change the injectors again. When I bought them, I didn't know the stock injector dimensions. These about 70% oversized. They do light up both the turbo and the tires in a heartbeat.

good luck getting to the bottom of this.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM

I called Thoroughbred Diesel today and they said that the waiting list for any repairs is a month and a half long. Looks to me like I'm going to be waiting for a little while.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 AM

Do you not feel comfortable working on it yourself? I would pull that pin and look at it. Sometimes you need to rotate it before it will come out.

If it were me and it wouldn't rotate i would see if i could take the nut off that holds the rubber part to the pin and then try pushing that small horizontal pin back and remove the fuel pin.

If that horizontal pin won't retract the top will need to be pulled.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 93-12Smoke
Do you not feel comfortable working on it yourself? I would pull that pin and look at it. Sometimes you need to rotate it before it will come out.

If it were me and it wouldn't rotate i would see if i could take the nut off that holds the rubber part to the pin and then try pushing that small horizontal pin back and remove the fuel pin.

If that horizontal pin won't retract the top will need to be pulled.
That sounds more like my kind of plan. Like I said before, I know how to get the AFC housing apart because I've tried to take the pin out before.

I've been working for an auto shop going on 3 years now and there's no reason why I can't do it myself. I guess it's just the fact that I'm scared of permanently ruining the pump but pushing and pulling on that fuel pin. I don't want to have to shell out $900 for a remanufactured injection pump if I don't have to.

Is there any other tips that you can give me as to how I can ease the process of freeing up the pin? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
I've always found images of what I'm messing with were of help . . . .

Name:  3b44ac30.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  297.1 KB
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM

The only thing that would keep the cone from coming out is a damaged guide pin.(4) That's what you need to deal with.

Perhaps backing the full power screw out will relieve some of the tension on it.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:49 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
If the Guide-Pin's seal is in good working order, there's a good chance condensation has gotten in there and cause corrosion of the Control-Cone (we call it the fuel-pin) and/or it's associated bore of the aluminum-alloy housing. Either of which may have a good grip on things.

You might consider removing the rubber diaphragm and associated washers so as to expose more of the control-cone for the purpose of getting a forceful grip on it with the appropriate tool.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
If the Guide-Pin's seal is in good working order, there's a good chance condensation has gotten in there and cause corrosion of the Control-Cone (we call it the fuel-pin) and/or it's associated bore of the aluminum-alloy housing. Either of which may have a good grip on things.

You might consider removing the rubber diaphragm and associated washers so as to expose more of the control-cone for the purpose of getting a forceful grip on it with the appropriate tool.
The image you posted was of great help to me. I'm going to take your advice of removing the diaphragm to get better access of the fuel pin. I'll get it in the shop tomorrow night and let y'all know how it works out!