1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Passenger window refuses to roll up and some other questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Passenger window refuses to roll up and some other questions

Where do I start? The other day, I took my buddy out for a rip in the truck during lunch at school. It was a warm day, so I rolled down the window and I was going to roll down the passenger side from my side. I push the button and it doesn't go down. Hmmm, odd, oh well my buddy presses the button on his side and it goes down. After pouring on the coal for a bit (gotta show the smoke! ) I drove back to school and parked. I rolled my window up and my buddy goes to roll his up. Nothing happened, it wouldn't roll up, like there was no power to the window motor. At first I thought I blew a fuse, but after checking the fuse (its the big thick one) it was still good. The drivers side window still works fine but I have nothing from the drivers side control to the passenger and nothing from the passenger. If I press down on the passenger side control I can hear a clicking sound as if the motor is trying to put the window down, but when I press up it has nothing.

So after tearing into both doors, I noticed that on my drivers side the wiring harness was wrapped up in electrical tape. So I began pulling off the old tape and I find about 6 wires with cracked sleeving and one wire (yellow with red stripe if it means anything) was cut in half. I repaired it and covered all the bare wire with electrical tape and I still have nothing for the passenger window.

Where else should I look? I'm baffled as to why this would come out of no where.

Also, what fuse connects the cargo light? My cargo light worked once since I've had this truck and since then hasn't worked. I replaced both bulbs and its not working.

And... I replaced the fuse that goes to the heater motor a while ago and the motor was working great, but now I have nothing? I checked the fuse box and it looks like the fuse controls the heater and the power windows? Its a 12V 30 amp fuse and if its blown, I must have one heck of a short somewhere.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions but I figured I'd make one thread instead of two or three .
Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 PM

sounds the same

well what your saying is pritty much exactly what happen to my drivers window. wires and all. its the motor. i got one real cheap out of a 93 dodge fan. its a pain to re-place. i did some custom cut work on the inside of my door to get it in quike. living in washington at the time, and to big to get her in the garage, and did i mention it was pooring down rain.

anyways its the motor.

Bob.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:42 AM

I've had the same thing happen on other vehicles and it was corrosion inside the switch itself. I just pulled the switches apart cleaned them and after that it worked fine.

Not saying that its not the motor but just something else to look at.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM

If its the motor,bang on it, and it will work (temporarly!) i would bet on the wiring between the door and post(the sec. of wire that constanly gets flex every time you open the door.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
My bet is on the switch contacts. That door doesn't get as much use, an the contacts get corroded . . . Anyway, it is a cheap place to start.

I don't know about the other stuff off the top of my head.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Cargo light is on fuse 15. Other stuff on #15 are the underhood, glove box, map, halo, and dome lights. Also the radio and power mirrors.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM

Well I went to NAPA to price out a window motor, $190+ a $30 core charge. Yikes, I sure hope the motor is still good. I'm going to clean the contacts and search for any more wiring woes.

But on the flipside I got my cargo light to work. I just wiggled the switch and now it works like a charm .
Old 04-07-2006, 07:05 PM

used motor

NoSparkplugs,

try a junk yard/ salvage yard. the motors from 86-93 trucks will work, as will the van motors from 89-93. i payed $60 for the one i got. and it was garenteed to work. it hase given me almost 2 years of trouble free service.

Bob.

good luck with the switch's. hopes that the problem.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
Well I went to NAPA to price out a window motor, $190+ a $30 core charge. Yikes, I sure hope the motor is still good. I'm going to clean the contacts and search for any more wiring woes.

But on the flipside I got my cargo light to work. I just wiggled the switch and now it works like a charm .
Somebody's yanking your chain at NAPA. I have bought 3 of them recently and none of them cost over $60.

I have a spare rebuilt but it's for the left side.

Edwin
Old 04-07-2006, 08:03 PM

None over $60 eh? Must be some Canadian deal where they overcharge . I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor after the guy quoted me $190 .
Old 04-07-2006, 09:00 PM

Same thing happend to me a few weeks ago. I pulled the motor out, cleaned greased it. I hooked it up to the battery, and tried it out. It's not easy because there is no top bearing, but if you kind of hold it in the center with your fingers, and the motor is good it should spin. I put the motor back in, but I had to re-adjust the alignment once. I haven't had any problems since.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 PM

Well I found the problem. My buddy came over and we started testing everything and couldn't get a reading. After a while I started looking at the bunch of wires the run from the door to the cab (passenger side). I cut off all of the tape and whaddya know, one of the main wires to the motor is broke in half! I guess what happens is, that the wires flex so much from the door being opened and closed that they eventually break. I grabbed some leftover wire I had from my gauge install and spliced a 1.5" chunk in there, soldered it up, taped it and voila, power windows are fully functional again . If I were you guys, I'd have a look at the wires going from your door to the cab and see if they are like mine.

But once again my cargo light doesn't work . I must have a gremlin living underneath the dash. Works fine for a bit and then mysteriously quits.

Also is the halo around the ignition supposed to go out at some point? Or is it on all the time?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 12:14 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
None over $60 eh? Must be some Canadian deal where they overcharge . I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor after the guy quoted me $190 .
Sorry. I didn't notice you are in Canada. However the current exchange rate is $1.15 CDN = $1 US so 60 x 1.15 = $69 CDN for a rebuild. Are the duties THAT much?

How far are you from the line? Have you considered a career in window motor smuggling?

Edwin