1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

By-pass engine controller??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question By-pass engine controller??

Is there instructions anywhere that would give me directions for by passing the engine controller? I have a wiring issue and been searching for a engine compartment harness for close to a year, with not luck at all. However, I can't get power to the engine to attempt to start. Therefore I'm thinking It may be a bad controller. Any suggestions for getting this motor to turn over. It was running until rats chewed the wiring and have since not been able to crank and locate failed wiring. 1993 d20. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Technically, all you need is power to the starter. Jump the solenoid and it should at least turn over.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by fire5980
Is there instructions anywhere that would give me directions for by passing the engine controller? I have a wiring issue and been searching for a engine compartment harness for close to a year, with not luck at all. However, I can't get power to the engine to attempt to start. Therefore I'm thinking It may be a bad controller. Any suggestions for getting this motor to turn over. It was running until rats chewed the wiring and have since not been able to crank and locate failed wiring. 1993 d20. Any advice is appreciated.
As the last post said, all you really need is 12V at the starter., and of course to run, you need 12 volts at the fuel solenoid. Did the rats chew the wiring in one area, or was it over a larger area? This almost sounds like they got a fusible link. Can you post a picture of the affected area in the wiring?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I just now was able to get back to the post. I will let you know how it goes.
@Brownie, I'm not sure where the varmints got the wiring. But its the best guess at this time due to where the truck was parked for 4 plus months (evidence of nests in the engine compartment). The engine was running well before parked. Had it loaned out to a family member.