1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parts

I hit 2 deer tonight with my 91. There were 4 of them right in the middle on my lane, hit one right in the center of truck the other one I got was on the driver side. The one I got to the center was half way under the truck for 40' or so, I wanted to get the truck stopped. I didn't want it to get under the truck and hurt anything. Thankfully it didn't hurt the hood or the fender. Flat spotted the tires, not the anti-lock and brake warning lights are on. Does anyone know where to get a new bumper and grill and parking light? Any ideas what it did to the brakes? Or how to fix that?

Thanks, Tyler
Old 04-08-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I would start with the brakes by simply re-setting the ABS module. It is behind the glove box, just open the door past the stop and you can see the module mounted under the dash. There is a black wire with an open female connector coming out of the plug for the module. Grounding this with the ignition on will get teh ABS light to flash a code. Count the long flash as 1 + the subsequent shorter flashes (then it repeats). If you post the count here, someone will tell you what the code is. Once you have the code, unplug the module for 30 sec. to clear the code, and I bet you won't have any more trouble.

In '92 they changed the software to drop certain codes on the ignition cycle, but in '91 there seem to be times when nothing is really wrong, but a code will set.

I'm glad you are okay -- hitting deer is just bad all around.

I bought a replacement turn/parking light from a place on the web -- it was cheap and fit, I will try to find and post the site for you.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:50 AM

asilitch, Thanks I'm going to do try that right now. The brakes locked up so I'm sure that somehow set the code. There was nothing hit or damaged to the brake. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Try Parts Train for the crash parts.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:41 PM

Dave, thanks for the link. Partstrain had almost everything I need. I don't know, but I don't think the bumper comes the the top black pad. And I could not find it on there. Their prices seem real reasonable. Have you bought anything from them? If so, is it high quality OEM stuff? I wonder if the grille has the DODGE in black at the top? Well thanks again.

asilitch, I got the anti-lock code reset. So one thing down, several more to go. It doesn't look like its going to break the bank to fix. You know that would have to happen to the only thing I ever had that I didn't get full coverage on. I've never made a claim to insurance so I couldn't justify buying. Oh well I guess this will be alot cheaper in the long run then the full coverage would.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:39 AM

www.car-part.com
Old 04-09-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Glad things are working out for you, and I am pretty sure that you will find self-insurance in this case is cheaper than buying coverage would be! Especially since you don't have to explain how the truck is really worth more than the $800 bucks they would want to give you for it . . .
Old 04-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by tmoore
Partstrain had almost everything I need. I don't know, but I don't think the bumper comes the the top black pad. And I could not find it on there. Their prices seem real reasonable. Have you bought anything from them? If so, is it high quality OEM stuff? I wonder if the grille has the DODGE in black at the top?
No, I don't think the plastic parts come with the bumper. I haven't bought anything from them yet, still spending more money on going fast than looking good.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:03 AM

asilitch, you're right about being self insured. Its also alot cheaper to fix it then making a truck payment. I guess the part that gets me is it always happens to the one that you have to fix yourself. Yea I'll probably get around to ordering some parts for it here in a couple weeks. I was just lucky it didn't hurt the fenders or the hood, anything that would have to be painted.