1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

over head console

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
over head console

i just thought i would share one of my most favorite mods that i have done to my ram charger. i know it is a bit different since i don't have a diesel but the idea is cool and someone might be able to make work.
a picture of it installed and mostly hooked up. it came out a lot better than i thought it would.

now this is how it all started. a overhead console and temp sensor out of a 93 jeep Cherokee that i scored for $30.

before wasting too much time trying to install it i decided to try hooking it up and make sure it would work and sure enough it did

i ran into a bit of a problem when i was test fitting everything because of the way the console is and the plastic extension thing.

after removing the headliner and cutting the plastic thing off it seems like i lucked out and it fit pretty good.

now because of the way the roof is on a jeep Cherokee there was a bit of a gap at the back but it was small enough that i could live with it. now i have been told a overhead console out of a older caravan would fit almost perfectly because of how flat the roofs are. unfortunately it was impossible for me to find one.

currently the only things that work are the temp and lights. the compass was kind of working but would never show east and once i put it into calibration mode i could not get it out. i have been told my RC might be magnetized which is why it is doing what it is doing. even without a working compass i was pretty happy with just having the extra light and knowing what the outside temp is. now my next big plan is to convert all the lights in it to LED's and possibly install some usb ports to charge items like my phone. the LED's should be arriving this week but we will see.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks good in there and adds some nice functionality!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Looks good,

What can you actually store up there ?

Sun glasses ?

Registration / insurance card ?

a couple of joints ?

Condoms ?

seriously, what can you fit into those compartments ?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM

lol. thanks. one of the compartments is setup to hold sunglasses and i have been told the other compartment was for some type of garage door opener. you could probably fit all that stuff up there. it is currently holding my phone charger.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Looks good. I've been eyeing up the one in my 89 parts suburban but it doesn't have the temp/compass.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 PM

thanks. i would say if you already have it and it don't cost you anything then why not. knowing the outside temp is nice but i could live without it if i had good lighting in the cab. i wouldn't mind figuring out how to get rest of the options to work eventually but for now i will live with just knowing the outside temp and the good lighting.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
... i will live with just knowing the outside temp and the good lighting.
Where is the sensor for the outside temp ? Drilled through the roof ?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM

i currently got it secured to the top of the rad support pretty much behind the drivers side headlight but i have to move it. the heat from the engine seems to effect it if it is left sitting for too long without moving. i was thinking about moving it behind the bumper or lower rad support.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 AM

Add some LED Festoon bulbs from E-Bay (I drive a 94 Grand Cherokee) what a difference I believe the ones I have have 16 LED per unit but I would use one of the small panel kits that come with wire adapters when I redo them (only for more light not due to failure) and if you leave your dome lights on it don't matter the Amp draw on them is incredibility low.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM

the ones i ordered have 16 LED's. i like that they use almost no power and i also like how they put out almost no heat compared normal bulbs. every light in all my trucks is LED except for maybe 1 or 2 in my cheap aftermarket gauges.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM

has anyone put one of these in a regular cab? it looks like this one might be a little long.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 PM

i've been thinking about it but i am finding it difficult to locate another one. i figure the end of it could be cut to fit the roof and possibly cover the dome light hole.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM

i finally got the led installed about a week ago and they look fairly good. got lots of light. now i just got to figure out what to do with all the led lights i picked up over the last couple of weeks for free. i am thinking under hood lighting.

this is just the best of the led stuff i got for free. 6 5M rolls of led light strip.