1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NY Diesels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Diesels?

Has anyone brought a truck from theses guys? I'm sure you guys have seen the videos on YouTube about these trucks. My question is this:

1. A vehicle with over 200k, how much life does it have left in it if I'm gonna do injectors an turbo upgrades to it?
2. Are these trucks worth 15k with over 200k?

Thanks for your input

Chris
Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
JMO, run don't walk.

Here's a selection from the FAQ's on their website just to give an example of the compression-ignition genius going on at this place. I highlighted in red some 'knowledge' of particular interest....

7. Whats the difference between 24 and 12 valve cummins

THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 12 VALVE CUMMINS AND A 24 VALVE CUMMINS IS THIS.

THE 12 VALVE HAS A P7100 MANUAL ROTARY INJECTION PUMP AND IT DOES NOT USE ELECTRICITY NOR HAVE A COMPUTER. IT WORKS LIKE AN OLD TRACTOR.

THE 24 VALVE HAS A BOSCH VP44 INJECTION PUMP THAT HAS A COMPUTER THAT COMMUNICATES WITH THE ECU.

THE REAL FACT HERE IS THAT THEY ARE BOTH VERY RELIABLE AND I WOULDN'T PICK ONE OVER THE OTHER MYSELF.

These are likely high mileage southern trucks that are considered cast-offs where clean vehicles are plentiful. Dealers like this know we New Yorkers drool over things like rocker panels and box wheel wells and definitely do all they can to take advantage of that emotion. A high mile truck is worth whatever someone will pay for it, so that's a hard one to quantify. Personally, I wouldn't give half of what they're asking at NY Diesels for that rode hard-put up wet-spray bomb undercoated junk. Almost want to make the half housr drive up there and learn about the rotary-manual p7100....
Old 12-18-2011, 08:47 AM

They are pretty trucks though, but I also hear you on what they do.
They had a problem with ebay awhile back. I don't know what it was, but they were off ebay for awhile, then they came back on. I do not know what happened, so I deleted them from my "favorites" section anyway. I would use them for price comparisons is all and I would stop in if and when I ever passed their location just for kicks (with Max of course), but I have not had the oppertunity as of yet. They are a few hours out for me.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This one would make me run> 2. HONESTLY, HOW MANY MILES WILL A CUMMINS DIESEL GO?
IF YOU SEE A TRUCK THAT HAS OVER 300,000 MILES ON IT. DON'T BE SCARED. THESE ENGINES ARE USED IN INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT AND ARE BUILT TO LAST. THEY ARE BUILT TO PULL. THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO BE TURNED UP TO PRODUCE HUGE AMOUNTS OF POWER. DOING THIS WILL MAKE YOUR EGT (EXHAUST GAS TEMP) GO UP AND IT CAN DAMAGE YOUR CYLINDER RINGS AND WALLS. A STOCK CUMMINS DIESEL WILL LAST A LONG TIME. I HAVE SEEN WELL OVER 1 MILLION MILES.

ON A SECOND NOTE. IF YOU DO CHOOSE TO WANT TO REALLY JUICE UP YOUR CUMMINS ENGINE. DO THE BONES FIRST. ( THE RODS, RINGS, LIFTERS, CAM, ETC) BEFORE YOU DUMP HUGE FUEL AND BOOST TO IT.

If thats the case all of mine would have blown up by now.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Thanks for your help guys.