Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

has anyone added one of those preoilers to their diesels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone added one of those preoilers to their diesels?

I was reading about one of those things and being that I live in Fairbanks Alaska where it gets -60 sometimes, I was thinking it might be a good thing to get. Their is noting like a good -60 degree cold start in the morning! I hold my breath everytime until the oil pressure comes up.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:54 AM

Re:has anyone added one of those preoilers to their diesels?

I had thought of possibly installing one, but my truck usually gets started twice day, so I don't think I'd see any benefit by adding one. If you do a lot of starts, then it might be worth it. Can't comment on using it in you weather conditions though.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:48 PM

I can't remember if it was here or at the 'other' forum, but someone had asked about using a pre-oiler as a post-oiler to cool the turbo after shutting down after a long hard pull. Seems to me that it would work quite nicely but there'd be no oil left for the next start up. Hey! Maybe install two oilers. One pre, one post. I'm sure the engine would benefit at least a little and it would definitely add to the coolness factor 8)<br><br>
Old 10-16-2002, 02:17 AM

AK23, I think I've read where some users had problems with the pump motors burning out. Colder temps makes it more difficult for the pump &amp; motor. I suspect there would be a heavy amp holding on motor at -35 and lower unless oil was heated. <br><br>Jerry
Old 10-26-2002, 01:25 AM

I have been running diesel in and around Fairbanks for over 17 years and have never used an oil preheater. If you are plugging your truck in install and oil pan heater. If you are going to the sticks where there is not power get an Ebasco heater. In my Fords I was running Shell Rottella Oil From Sam and had no problems.You can get the pan heaters and transmittion heaters at NAPA.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I work for Freightliner where I work on trucks all day with
detroit, cat, mercedes and cummins and I have not seen a
preoiler on anything. I know when I bought my 01 dodge
they wanted to sell me one for $300.+. I feel like if it needed
one the maker of the engine would have put one on it.
I hope this info helps.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Banned

The PRE-OILERS, are a good ideal. Pressurizing the entire engine's oit system before the system see's a load is great, it will reduce wear and add to engine life. There is no problem with it using all the oil, and nothing left for when the engine starts, like one of the posters implyed. It works very simple, it draws oil from thr sump (oil pan), sends it thru a 12V pump which pressurize's it to around 80psi, and sends it to the filter mount were it enters the engins oil circuit. The oil runs thru the normal oiling passages, and returns to the pan. The system on paper sound great, and if done properly would be very benifical. Un-fortunately, the &quot;PRE-LUBBER&quot; as it was called, was made cheap and was un-reliably. I purchased one 5-6 years ago, and installed it. Problems with leaking and pump contamination, resulted in me removing it, and placing it on a shelf, were it has not moved since. I fsomeone were to come out with a better version, I would try it again.